project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
25 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
Farks

Question Are attack helicopters overrated?

Are attack helicopters overrated/overhyped? Considering how fragile helicopters are togheter with the effectiveness of modern anti-air weapons and the lock/tracking systems on armor, which gives even APC's a chance to take down helis, would attack helicopters be effective in a war with a modern army? I read on a military forum a while back that even in Iraq and Afghanistan, coalition forces prefer to use fixed wing air support over attack helicopters just because helicopters are so sensitive even to lighter weapons.

**ON INDEFINITE LEAVE FROM 4 JANUARY 2013 AND ONWARDS**
The language and concepts contained in this post are guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the place where the guy with the horns and pointed stick conducts his business.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Farks is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Viper5

Default Re: Are attack helicopters overrated?

IMO, no. They provide a staying capacity that fixed wing doesnt in terms of overwatch. Moreover, their more mobile. Anti-air weapons are always an issue, but the ability of an Apache or Super Cobra or *insert modern Attack Helo* to engage and defeat masses of enemy targets really is unrivaled. I think part of the reason fixed wing is sometimes preferred, especially in Afghanistan, is the quicker response time as well as the fact that helicopters can have issues in the higher terrain. This and the fact that a B1 or B52 carries a ****load of ordnance :P
Viper5 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
Tirak

Also, AA is LOS whereas you can fire a Hellfire from behind a hill or intervening piece of terrain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tirak is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:05 AM   #4
eddie
The [R-MOD]s' Poodle

I have to agree with Viper, however it seems some troops prefer/preferred helicopters and UAVs to jets because they could deliver weapons to any threat almost immediately due to their low speed and ability to operate at lower levels.

As for the AA threat, I believe the British Apache has HIDAS, a defensive aide suite which will dispense chaff/flare for radar/heat guided missiles and send a series of commands to missiles with laser lock. The ability for the Apache AH1 to operate out of small arms fire range but within the 'SAM belt' and still remain effective as eyes and fist for the ground troops is amazing.

I know if I was in a firefight (from a spectators POV) I'd want the fixed wing assets for firepower but I'd choose the attack helicopter to be my guardian.

As for small arms fire, the Apache can supposedly take rounds up to 23mm and has almost two of each major component:

Engine
Electronics bay
Pilot..

eddie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
Alex6714

Well whatever the tracking systems ability on APCs and such are like, the helicopter usually have much more range so there is not much you can do without AA.

"Today's forecast calls for 30mm HE rain with a slight chance of hellfires"

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
erfrag

i don't think the BF2 engine will ever allow especially attack helo's to function properly. in real life, if your opponent is a cobra or apache, you don't even know it. you just die. end of story. the dev's are doing their best to use what is given to them (limitations of the BF2 engine).

erfrag is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
Alex6714

I hate to say it, but there are so many things that can be done with the helis in BF2 to make them more realistic. The problem is, the DEVs would not want these things in PR, because it would cause the helis to be more powerful.

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Old 01-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #8
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Masaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfrag View Post
i don't think the BF2 engine will ever allow especially attack helo's to function properly. in real life, if your opponent is a cobra or apache, you don't even know it. you just die. end of story. the dev's are doing their best to use what is given to them (limitations of the BF2 engine).
Let's leave the game BF2/PR out of this, ey?

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." -

Masaq is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
gclark03

It deserves a topic that I'm not really entitled to start.

(I'm not an attack helo whore, unlike some of us *cough*Alex6714*cough*.)
gclark03 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #10
Alex6714

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclark03 View Post
It deserves a topic that I'm not really entitled to start.

(I'm not an attack helo whore, unlike some of us *cough*Alex6714*cough*.)
You say that as if it is a bad thing, however it only means that those who arent are infantry whores etc, but eh, kind of need that uber off topic pic now.

Tags
attack, helicopters, overrated