project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
01 Nov 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #41
Polka

Default Re: Sexiest Helicopters Ever

"Three Mi-24 "Hind-A" helicopter gunships (improvised from AĆ©rospatiale Pumas) appear in the film RED DAWN"

lol.

And while we're at it
U.S. FAA registry lists 7 privately owned Mi-24s operated by civilians.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Polka is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #42
krisfx
Send a message via MSN to krisfx

I think its the hind.

Although Lynx and commanche are pretty nice
krisfx is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #43
krisfx

I think this is a pretty nice bird

It was also photographed by me however it isnt the best =]

Link : http://myaviation.net/search/photo_s...hp?id=01176583
Old 01-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #44
Airsoft Soldier
PR:BF2 Deputy Test Lead
Project Reality Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisfx View Post

I think this is a pretty nice bird

It was also photographed by me however it isnt the best =]

Link : MyAviation.net - Aviation Photo Gallery
nice pic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airsoft Soldier is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #45
[R-DEV]Bob_Marley
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Hitperson View Post
bob if i'm right in thinking they didn't use pumas in red dawn (the pilots sat higher up) can't remember though.
Quote:
"You might want to change the statement that Sikorsky S-55 helicopters were used in the movie Red Dawn. First of all S-55 Helicopters do not have retractable landing gear. Notice as well that the cockpit of the S-55 is above the cabin, the helicopters in Red Dawn are not configured in this way. The tail rotor is on the opposite side of the helicopter for it to be a S-55. So what this website is saying is that Sikorsky took an S-55 and modified retractable landing gear on them and then switched the tail rotor from one side to another. And the greatest feet is lowering the cockpit so that it is no longer positioned above the cabin but in front of the cabin which we all know on a S-55 that this area is were the engine is located. Another issue is the cabin door, on a S-55 there is only one cabin door on the starboard side. In the movie the helicopter has doors on both sides like a Puma.
"I find it hard to believe this was done, what is more likely is that someone saw that S-55 helicopters were being modified to look like Hinds. This did occur the US Army awarded a contract to have Sikorsky S-55 helicopters modified to look like Hinds by Orlando Helicopter Airways. These were modified to be used as target drones. These drones did look very much like Hinds however they still had fixed gear and althouh a false nose was added to the front of the aircraft the cockpit was still positioned above the cabin. These aircraft designated QS-55 could be flown by remote control or by pilots.
"I beleive the fake Hinds in the movie Red Dawn are Pumas, one thing however seems obvious they are not S-55 helicopters unless Sikorsky was willing to pay alot of money to heavily modify a few old birds for a movie. I have not seen on the Sikorsky website were they talk about this please post a link to this site." - JAMES D'ANGINA

"The Hind-A gunships in Red Dawn are SA 330 Pumas. I have found photos these on the Internet, clearly showing the side sponsons and retractable undercarriage, features absent from the Sikorsky S-55. Some S-55 helicopters were in fact conveted to look like the Hind-F as training aids and target drones for the US Army."
- COSTAS TSAGANAS
source

The key to modernising any weapon is covering them in glue and tossing them in a barrel of M1913 rails until they look "Modern" enough.

Many thanks to [R-DEV]Adriaan for the sig!
[R-DEV]Bob_Marley is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #46
krisfx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airs0ft_S0ldier11 View Post
nice pic

Cheers
Old 01-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #47
Hitperson
Retired Tournament Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]Bob_Marley View Post

thanks bob. That was where i had been confused (i had looked at that page ages ago)

Harrod200:"Fire.exe has committed an illegal operation and has been shut down"
Raniak : "Warning: May crash if fired upon."
M4sherman: "like peter pan but with tanks"
[R-MOD]Eddiereyes909 (on sim tower) "It truly was the game of my childhood and has led to me getting my degree in industrial engineering."
Hitperson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #48
Rambo Hunter

Kawasaki OH-1 Ninja

Rambo Hunter is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #49
PlayPR!

That's kinda funny, Kawasaki makes a motorcycle called the Ninja as well.

I think my vote goes to the Comanche though, it's incredibly smooth and sneaky looking.

PlayPR! is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:19 PM   #50
General Dragosh

Send a message via MSN to General Dragosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo Hunter View Post
Kawasaki OH-1 Ninja
I cant stop laughing

Newly ordered sig !
General Dragosh is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
helicopters, sexiest, sexiest helicopters ever