project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
18 Dec 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #51
duckhunt
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: USMC using UH-1s, AH-1s instead of UH60 and AH64?

cobra in the sky over Helmand. They do an awesome job. This is just after an RPG was fired at it, air-bursted about 300m away, it did a tight turn soo quick, and rained down hell on the whole area of the firing point.

duckhunt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:28 PM   #52
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Masaq

What's the spec in the air?

Also, that's a lovely mud wall... Seriously, that must be pretty tricky to get it that neat looking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Masaq is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #53
Viper5

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Masaq View Post

Also, that's a lovely mud wall... Seriously, that must be pretty tricky to get it that neat looking.
Looks like dirt on the lense or a bird caught in the crossfire.
Viper5 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #54
Eddie Baker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeman View Post
Compared to the US Army or US Airforce it is underfunded. The US Army gets more money just to test programs that don't go anywhere than the USMC does to get 'new' stuff. The USMC rolled into the first gulf war with M60A3 tanks. It really takes a full war for the USMC to get funding for new equipment.
Yeah, IIRC there was just one Marine unit in ODS that was using borrowed M1A1s from the Army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeman View Post
I bet you don't think these are pretty either, but I bet a lot of guys in Vietnam thought they were beautiful when they got wounded and needed a lift out of the zone.
H-34s! I remember the first time I saw one of these helicopters was on the TV show Riptide; I was maybe 7. Until I started reading more (and bigger) books about aircraft when I was a little older, I thought it was something they built for the show, since it looked so freaky.
Eddie Baker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #55
Solid Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Masaq View Post
Part of the guy who fired the RPG.
Solid Knight is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:00 AM   #56
Liquid_Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Eddie Baker View Post
Yeah, IIRC there was just one Marine unit in ODS that was using borrowed M1A1s from the Army.
The 2nd Tank Battalion had 16 of their own M1's which they had trained up on (you can't just jump in a tank and drive into combat), and received 60 more that were diverted to the Corps before combat began. All these tanks were returned to the Army after the war (and I'm sure my brothers added personal tank you notes to each one).

I was boots on the ground Aug 17th (Kuwait was invaded on the 2nd) and all that stood between us and the "Million Man" Iraqi army was one USMC tank battalion with 60 USMC M-60 tanks which had come off the MPS ships. I don't know what sort of shape they were in, but the gear I got was pretty rough from the long exposure to ocean air w/o any use (they've gotten better about this from what I understand). Never during my time in the Corps had we been happier to see Army units showing up.

Golden Camel Alliance
Fear the Moo!!!
<MFF>
Liquid_Cow is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
ah1s, ah64, uh1s, uh60, usmc