project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
23 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
Hotrod525

Send a message via MSN to Hotrod525
Default SBX Radar Station.

Hey guyz, look at this monster

Bush spend nearly a bilion U$D on this thing, its made to detect ICBM 5,000kms away big as a base ball along whit sea-carried SM3 missile its the beginning of the ANTI-ICBM Shield

Sea-based X-band Radar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hotrod525 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
echo

Default Re: SBX Radar Station.

Wow, that is expensive! However many of these have Bush deployed? Or this is the only one?

YouTube Video
(Video of the big golf ball!)

Quote:
Extract from Wikipedia:

Although her homeport is in Alaska, she will be tasked with moving throughout the Pacific Ocean to support her mission. The name given to the SBX platform, "SBX-1", indicates the possibility of further units of the class; in circumstances when a vessel is required to be continually on duty over a long period of time, common naval practice is to have at least three units of the type available. Three further platforms of the CS-50/Moss Sirius design were under construction or contract at the Severodvinsk shipyard in Russia as of early 2007, but as of that time it was unknown whether they would be purchased by the US for more SBX radars or sold to other buyers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by echo; 07-23-2008 at 03:51 PM..
Old 07-23-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
Hotrod525

Its the first one, others will come...

Old 07-23-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
General_J0k3r
Send a message via ICQ to General_J0k3r

its russian built? are you serious? i'm surprised
General_J0k3r is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
Hotrod525

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_J0k3r View Post
its russian built? are you serious? i'm surprised
The PLATFORM is been only builded by Russian, Norway design it, and it was first intended to be a oil platform, U.S. buy it and then Boeing & Raytheon construct the Radar in Texas... is now floating on the Alaskian cost.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #6
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Masaq

I dread to think how that handles in heavy seas, even if it is designed to cope with them. She seems to have bared okay so far but god, it can't have been a fun ride for 6 months in the Bering Sea.

I also see the possibility of a lot of sterile sailors in the future, or at least some with 'funny lookin' kids', as marine radar mechanics occasionally warn. It's also going to be a prime target - I can imagine that PLAN subs will start having fun following it around the eastern pacific.

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." -

Masaq is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
Hotrod525

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]Masaq View Post
I dread to think how that handles in heavy seas, even if it is designed to cope with them. She seems to have bared okay so far but god, it can't have been a fun ride for 6 months in the Bering Sea.

I also see the possibility of a lot of sterile sailors in the future, or at least some with 'funny lookin' kids', as marine radar mechanics occasionally warn. It's also going to be a prime target - I can imagine that PLAN subs will start having fun following it around the eastern pacific.
I dont think U.S. will let a Bilion dollar radar undefended...especialy if it float, it will be so easy to just go away whit it. And i think the crew will switch from one to an other all 6 months or something like...

Old 07-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #8
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Masaq

54-day rotations, but a megawatt radar doesn't really need that much time to fry your sperm

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." -

Masaq is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:10 PM   #9
Hotrod525

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]Masaq View Post
54-day rotations, but a megawatt radar doesn't really need that much time to fry your sperm

lol oups i was not thinking to that lol... but, since the radar is "over" the platform and the CP is below in the structure dont they got "protection" ? anyway did flying animal in close range will becames sterile too ? lol

BTW a little Quote from wiki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
The first such vessel is scheduled to be based in Adak Island, Alaska, part of the Aleutian Islands. From that location it will be able to track missiles launched toward the US from both North Korea and China.
The message seem pretty clear huh lool. Well atleast we are "friendly" whit China for the moment..

Anywayz.. is it the biggest radar ever made ? or only the biggest sea based one ? its surely one of the most effective.. did it also detect planes ? and bird ? lol i mean... everything bigger than a base ball... that make alot of contact on screen when you got 5,000kms range lool.

Last edited by Hotrod525; 07-23-2008 at 07:17 PM..
Old 07-23-2008, 08:42 PM   #10
Liquid_Cow

Being a semisumersible rig it will take heavy seas quite well, these platforms were designed for north sea oil exploration. As for PLN subs, I would agree that it probabaly is quite well protected, plus it may only deploy to basins where a sub would not wish to venture entry into. The steel deck of the platform should provide adiquet protection from the radiation. Not the largest radar, here are a couple of bigger ones...

DEW line in Greenland...

PAVE PAWS (there are 3 of these)

The Arecibo Observatory facility, which is the largest RADAR in the world (though technically is a radio telescope, it does have radar capabilities)

Golden Camel Alliance
Fear the Moo!!!
<MFF>
Liquid_Cow is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
radar, sbx, station