project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
01 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2006, 04:38 PM   #1
Taffy

Cool The worlds first space bomber

Just take a look at this and marvel!!!

http://www.llnl.gov/str/Carter.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself
It'd be more popular than PR, cuz itd appeal to the noob-spraying, team-killing, bunny-hopping, jet-crashing, team-swapping retards that belong in vanilla BF2.
Neutraliser of 1 spam bot.
Taffy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:16 PM   #2
Tacamo

One very large problem I've read about using such a concept for a bomber is the kind of enemy responses, due to how it delivers weaponry. Since such a system wouldn't have problems with most typical radars, it would likely get picked up by ones used to detect RV's in space. By releasing a bomb at high velocity from such a high altitude it could appear as a ballistic missle releasing RV's. Nobody wants a conventional weapon that might get a nuclear retaliation.
Tacamo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:33 PM   #3
Gran

Very good point Tacamo, I just don't see the need for this in the current climate. Develop it sure, test it sure, but spend countless billions? Please God no. Just spend it on training and equipment for the men on the ground. We need it more down where the metal meets the meat. Maybe work on some better, lighter, personal armor. It would be cheaper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot" – CLINT EASTWOOD
21B Combat Engineer US ARMY
Gran is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:52 AM   #4
Zantetsuken

I would think a system like this would be developed as a replacement for nuclear ICBMs - though they could still use MIRV systems - its just a replacement for the delivery vehicle. I think I saw this on the military/wings channel (one of the Discovery channels) once, and it made it sound like it was being developed for the sole purpose of nuclear weapons delivery.

it would be kind of pointless to launch a 500 pound bomb from the states, have it detected as a nuclear weapon, get nuclear retaliation, ect - when the same 500 pound bomb could have been delivered from conventional bombers or cruise missles, ect... not to mention the cost effectiveness of one of these things for conventional bombs compared to a cruise missle or gravity dropped bomb (from a plane)

I am Zantetsuken the steel bladed sword
My Slashdot sig: "I'll switch back to IE when MS makes Windows open-source"

In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. AMEN
-motto of the Hellsing family in the anime "Hellsing"
Zantetsuken is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:56 PM   #5
Lifetaker

Send a message via MSN to Lifetaker

Pretty crazy. More bad news for the "bad guys"!

Lifetaker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:03 PM   #6
Resjah

thats cool, soon battles will become like this

Resjah is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:07 PM   #7
Antagonistic

That "Space Bomber," looks almost identical to what the Germans during WWII had plans for. Same idea.
Antagonistic is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 12:35 AM   #8
six7

Send a message via MSN to six7 Send a message via Skype™ to six7

looks like a waste of money to me
six7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:24 PM   #9
Top_Cat_AxJnAt

what happened to the balloon, no fuel costs and helium one have no thermal signature. COuld make it stealth and it would be amazing, albiet alittle on the slow side - use that stream of air high up (cant remember name, but carries thigns along way).
Top_Cat_AxJnAt is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
bomber, space, worlds