project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
02 Aug 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2005, 09:30 PM   #1
Lifetaker

Send a message via MSN to Lifetaker
Default Real time UAV not so unrealistic?

http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/..._200531023.asp

Not sayin it should be back in the game, but check this out anyway.
Lifetaker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:47 AM   #2
Mad Max
Send a message via MSN to Mad Max

Got to love the Israeli's. They're always innovating and improving military tech.

Why bother with something massively over expensive like Landwarrior (which in almost all trials has proven less combat effective than regular geared up soldiers) when you can have one UAV (or two, or more! They're cheaper than you'd think... cheaper than equipping everyone with LW anyway), and an officer with one of those wrist displays.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last edited by Mad Max; 12-14-2005 at 07:49 AM..
Old 12-17-2005, 05:25 PM   #3
ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max
Why bother with something massively over expensive like Landwarrior (which in almost all trials has proven less combat effective than regular geared up soldiers)
Again, I am going to ask a question that I fully expect to go unanswered...

MadMax, I would like to see some references, or results of studies and/or tests that back up your claim above.

I am certainly not intimately familiar with LW, but I think it odd that you would know so much about a system still in testing, with very few test results released publicly...or are you a contractor?

Ken
ken is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 07:57 PM   #4
Tacamo

Even if it's not effective now. More than likely it will be in the near future. Manufacturers are turning out sturdier and much smaller devices that are better than their larger counterparts everyday.
Tacamo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:28 PM   #5
Beckwith

Send a message via AIM to Beckwith Send a message via MSN to Beckwith Send a message via Yahoo to Beckwith

Real time UAV's have been around in a while, if youve ever heard about "Roberts Ridge" battle in Afghanistan. They watched the hole battle.

Also the Devs have indicated in the past that they plan on bringing it back but in a more realistic format and once the model is completed. From what i gather they play to make it a small aircraft that can actually be shot down. They also dont want it to be like radar but an actually camera view. At least thats what I've inferred.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Beckwith is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:37 PM   #6
BrokenArrow
Retired PR Developer

Adding to what Beck said about it being radar-like in BF2 currently, in real life the images would need to be interpreted by whoever is viewing it and the information would I think have to be relayed to a troop in the area, rather than giving everyone their very own radar.

BrokenArrow is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:58 PM   #7
Lifetaker

Send a message via MSN to Lifetaker

Indeed. Like a squad leader.
Lifetaker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:21 PM   #8
BrokenArrow
Retired PR Developer

Exactly, the main thing is just to implement UAVs realistically, which I'm sure that the devs will do to the best of their ability.

BrokenArrow is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:55 PM   #9
SiN|ScarFace

That is nothing close to what is in vanilla bf2.

Just because you can see the bad guys on some video screen does not mean you know exactly where they are.
You are in an unfamiliar area more likely than not so you wont be able to take the real time footage and relate it exactly to where you are and where they are.
And many other factors that will come into play.

Im all for a realistic uav in this mod, so I can shoot it down lol.

SiN|ScarFace is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
real, time, uav, unrealistic