project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
17 Dec 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 07:11 AM   #31
Outlawz7
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: Tanks test infra-red invisibility cloak

Heh, I guess someone was right when they wrote in a BF2142 review that it should be titled BF2042 judging by the tech in the game.

Originally Posted by whatshisname55:
"Ah yes, that link to your hard drive is working perfectly."
Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #32
MonkeySoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
We also know stealth technology is creeping into the Helicopter world quite rapidly now, with the development of the Comanche program a few years ago (although yes, cancelled) but more recently, the stealth Black Hawk being made for the Bin Laden strike and many modern choppers showing signs of stealth technology also being applied to them, like the Lynx Wildcat (although not fully stealth).
The MH60's existed quite some time before they were used on the raid on Bin Laden.
source

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MonkeySoldier is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #33
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySoldier View Post
The MH60's existed quite some time before they were used on the raid on Bin Laden.
source
Interesting, although the documentary "Bin Laden Shoot to Kill" said the helicopter was designed and built specifically for the mission but I do think its a lot more believable that they had them sitting around for a mission like this. Its not like they haven't had this technology to prevent them from making it until now

But I think my initial easement of more stealth helicopters will be hitting the skies in the near future as there are many clear advantages for having them and the technology is being rapidly developed and integrated around the world now. Chances are China is already looking into developing a stealth helicopter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]Rhino is online now Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #34
=HCM= Shwedor

Neat concept, but wouldn't it detract from your options regarding modular armor (ERA blocks, slat armor, etc.)?
If they happen to shoot at you I doubt those neat thermal plates are going to stop much.

shwedor
=HCM= Shwedor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #35
Zrix
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Couldn't you just have ERA under the plates then?

Zrix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #36
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrix View Post
Couldn't you just have ERA under the plates then?
Ye I would expect they would simply go over the top of any amour... Although it dose sort of conflict a bit with any possible external upgrades and also would mean cage armour wouldn't be usable too.

[R-DEV]Rhino is online now Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #37
Bob of Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by =HCM= Shwedor View Post
Neat concept, but wouldn't it detract from your options regarding modular armor (ERA blocks, slat armor, etc.)?
If they happen to shoot at you I doubt those neat thermal plates are going to stop much.
I'd say that the infra-red cloak would be more useful on something like a recon vehicle that would sit still and not want to be seen than a MBT that's often firing it main weapon defeating the purpose of the cloak. You could also use it to hide high value targets like AA sites from aerial reconnaissance. Most of the time such high value targets can't use most normal armour addons.

This cloak will work well with standard cameo as thermal sights strong point has been to over come such cameo. If the can be widely used it will change the way armies hide objects and vehicles, as having the right cameo will be important again (unlike now where some armies are reducing their use of woodland cameos to save money).
Bob of Mage is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #38
Geordie-72
Project Reality Beta Tester
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc1482 View Post
Looks like an EU A-8 Tiger
Nice spot!

Sent from Bletchley Park using Enigma

__________________________________________________ ________________

Geordie-72 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
cloak, infrared, invisibility, tanks, test