project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > PR Highlights
17 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR Highlights Highlights of what work the Devs are currently working on

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2016, 07:02 PM   #31
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Default Re: v1.4 Public Python Beta Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosik View Post
Does the BF2 game engine load the python standard library from the rar at the main folder every time? In that case, isn't it possible to upgrade the interpreter to a newer version which is probably more optimized? Or give a shot to optimized alternatives like pypy?
I couldn't find information about this anywhere, I would give it a try if you'll give me some directions. I guess that the major issue here would be replacing dice_py.dll but it seems like it mainly contains Python.h functions that can be upgraded

I was also wondering why realityprism uses rcon.invokes to communicate with prism instead of events
Updating the python library is possible, but we are yet to see to what extend. No idea if updating to a version with threading would be possible etc. and just using a slightly newer version wont be worth the risk of losing potential optimizations DICE made.
realityprism uses rcon.invokes as those seem to be executed in a different thread than normal events. Not sure if really the case tho.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Old 08-12-2016, 06:05 AM   #32
[R-DEV]Yosik
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mats391 View Post
Updating the python library is possible, but we are yet to see to what extend. No idea if updating to a version with threading would be possible etc. and just using a slightly newer version wont be worth the risk of losing potential optimizations DICE made.
realityprism uses rcon.invokes as those seem to be executed in a different thread than normal events. Not sure if really the case tho.
Does that mean that the handling of the event 'RemoteCommand' happens in rcon_invoke's thread as well?
It's just odd to me from a design standpoint. While writing a server plugin that took info from realityrally I was forced to register 'RemoteCommand' and filter prism messages. I was under the impression that the prism devs just wanted to avoid creating a new event for rallyrally since other modules don't need to watch for rallydelete/rallycreate at this moment.
If you're going to sacrifice design for performance, wouldn't it be more beneficial to bypass the main event thread with events that aren't CPU bound(See: GIL)? rallyDelete/rallyCreate are very insignificant.

After further inspection, it seems like the dice_py.dll is taken directly from the python2.3.4 source with small modifications/reductions.
Based on my checks, threading support isn't blocked in any of the dlls/exe, it simply wasn't precompiled into the .dll from thread.c(it's available in dice_py_d.dll but I don't have the time to get bf2_r.exe to work with it today) so it should be possible to have threading after upgrading.
Taking over dice_py.dll would allow
  • Exporting your own python.h that you can use to embed C code into heavier python functions.
  • Threading/Multiprocessing
  • Easier and faster development with python's newer features
  • Less bugs, more optimizations
  • Getting rid of CPython for pypy - noticeably faster, stackless, greenlets instead of threads(awesome).

Last edited by [R-DEV]Yosik; 08-12-2016 at 06:24 AM..
Old 08-12-2016, 07:55 AM   #33
[R-DEV]Mats391
Supporting Member

I remember Tema working with exchanging python and running into issues. Not sure what he tried tho.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:15 AM   #34
RAWSwampFox

Good Morning,

While it has been quite awhile since I've played. I think I've played 3 hours in the past 55'ish days and 2 of those were last night on Al Basrah. I've read through this thread and combined that with what I heard in-game last night and had a question or two.

1. In the past, just holding an epi did not reset your timer, using it did. Based on what I'm reading here, if you are just holding it it resets your timer?
2. Along the same thought, if you were shot while holding the epi in the past, you did not martyr but it didn't reset your timer.
3. I have been shot while deploying an asset and not martyr but it was like a split second shot. So using the phone while deploying now resets the timer?
4. Does the "using the phone to keep in touch with your mama" affect squad members who put the phone to their ear or is it only in the "deploying asset" action?
5. Could a timer be added to people who get arrested 5 times? Something like what is in place for blufor players who martyr 5 civilians? My reasoning for this is that I strongly feel that due to the fact that we actually have a spawnable CIVI kit, people are picking this more and sabotaging the game either purposefully or due to the convenience factor.
6. Will Al Basrah v2 be included in the 1.4 release and set as the standard map layout? < answered in another thread.
7. Will any of the INS v2 beta things be put in? Example, the commander being able to place / move the unknown? Love that feature.

-SwampFox
CIVI guide: https://goo.gl/WhRE7A
CIVIES and Martyrs thread: http://goo.gl/eqZ3wn
My FOB guide: https://goo.gl/z8bk2z
FOB Thread: http://goo.gl/4PWRAs
PR Statistics & Useless Information thread: http://goo.gl/bzu4qd
Last edited by RAWSwampFox; 08-13-2016 at 03:37 PM..
Old 08-14-2016, 12:58 PM   #35
[R-DEV]Mats391
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWSwampFox View Post
1. In the past, just holding an epi did not reset your timer, using it did. Based on what I'm reading here, if you are just holding it it resets your timer?
2. Along the same thought, if you were shot while holding the epi in the past, you did not martyr but it didn't reset your timer.
3. I have been shot while deploying an asset and not martyr but it was like a split second shot. So using the phone while deploying now resets the timer?
4. Does the "using the phone to keep in touch with your mama" affect squad members who put the phone to their ear or is it only in the "deploying asset" action?
5. Could a timer be added to people who get arrested 5 times? Something like what is in place for blufor players who martyr 5 civilians? My reasoning for this is that I strongly feel that due to the fact that we actually have a spawnable CIVI kit, people are picking this more and sabotaging the game either purposefully or due to the convenience factor.
6. Will Al Basrah v2 be included in the 1.4 release and set as the standard map layout? < answered in another thread.
7. Will any of the INS v2 beta things be put in? Example, the commander being able to place / move the unknown? Love that feature.
1. It always did. We always just checked for selection. We cannot even check for when someone actually uses a weapon aka fires it.
2. It did.
3. Deploying assets resets ROE timer.
4. You can do anything you want with the phone, just not deploy hideouts, roadblocks or SPG
5. Getting arrested already gives you spawn penalty.
6. Yes
7. Not in 1.4

Today is last day of the beta, so last chance to hop on and test it yourself!

Old 08-16-2016, 08:01 PM   #36
Luiscuella

The command of !mvote will still running?
We use the !scramble no Divsul Server too... please we want to keep it.

Good Work!
Old 08-18-2016, 10:59 PM   #37
xambone

Send a message via MSN to xambone Send a message via Skype™ to xambone

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mats391 View Post
[*]Made attackers unable to "hold" a flag. If you do not have the required 2-1 ratio the flag will go back towards defenders. If neither team controls flag, it goes back towards neutral.
[*]Removed spawn point from unknown caches
This is game changing. Like Whoa

Old 08-22-2016, 09:07 PM   #38
RAWSwampFox

Good Evening,

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mats391 View Post[*]Made attackers unable to "hold" a flag. If you do not have the required 2-1 ratio the flag will go back towards defenders. If neither team controls flag, it goes back towards neutral.[*]Removed spawn point from unknown caches
While I understand the reason for the above, it also speaks to the lower "tactical aware" player abilities now on PR. I disagree with the first one but, hey, I'm not a DEV. I understand the last one and somewhat disagree with it. If people built hideouts and were more "tactical aware", this wouldn't be an issue. I mean, hey, INS is broken anyways (from what I've been told over and over again), that is why we play it a lot, right?

-SwampFox
CIVI guide: https://goo.gl/WhRE7A
CIVIES and Martyrs thread: http://goo.gl/eqZ3wn
My FOB guide: https://goo.gl/z8bk2z
FOB Thread: http://goo.gl/4PWRAs
PR Statistics & Useless Information thread: http://goo.gl/bzu4qd
Old 08-30-2016, 06:39 AM   #39
ParaPlays

Will the battle recorder system get an update, it currently crashes all the time about 10 seconds in. Many people having the same issue, it's a shame as creating videos using it helps promote the game.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:22 AM   #40
[R-DEV]camo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaPlays View Post
Will the battle recorder system get an update, it currently crashes all the time about 10 seconds in. Many people having the same issue, it's a shame as creating videos using it helps promote the game.
It's fixed for 1.4.

This is the work around for 1.3.9.
http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f27-...ml#post2118757

Closed Thread

Tags
beta, public, python, testing, v14