project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > PR Highlights
16 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR Highlights Highlights of what work the Devs are currently working on

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2016, 01:13 AM   #41
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

[R-DEV]Rhino's Avatar
Default Re: Tank armor changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobi-the-fraggel View Post
Well, the video shows clearly the tank crew is leaving the tank after the hit. Do you need a tank turret blowing off into the air to consider a tank dying??
More likely from the crew sh*tting their pants than anything else tbh. If the missile did succeed in penetrating then the entire crew would most likely be dead, since its easier to kill the crew inside than to actually disable the tank to a point where it can't fight any more, and as such, what the missiles are designed to do.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline
Old 03-15-2016, 01:39 AM   #42
tobi-the-fraggel
PR Server License Moderator
Default Re: Tank armor changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
More likely from the crew sh*tting their pants than anything else tbh. If the missile did succeed in penetrating then the entire crew would most likely be dead, since its easier to kill the crew inside than to actually disable the tank to a point where it can't fight any more, and as such, what the missiles are designed to do.
There are a lot of videos on lubetupe where you can find tanks 'partly' surviving atgm hits. At least 1 or 2 of the crew.
The video cuts out too early to judge but you can only see the commander jumping out.

Also don't forget that this is more or less actual footage so it shows battle proofen combatants on both sides. These tank crewmen probably have years of battlefield experience now. The 'shitting pants' time is over. I doubt they would leave their tank if they don't have to.
But who knows. Both of us were not there. Just be careful with judging like this about those fighters.

Let's not forget it's a t-72 which is not famous for it's armour.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-72

EDIT: Wait, that's actually a T-90. Well the armour protection is better with this one.
EDIT2: That indeed changes things a bit. I stand by my point though. If the crew didn't saw a need to leave then they would probably not have left. Might have been a lucky shot then, considering it hit the front turret.

?Ford!" he said, "there's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out.?
― Douglas Adams
tobi-the-fraggel is offline
Last edited by tobi-the-fraggel; 03-15-2016 at 01:56 AM..
Old 03-15-2016, 03:05 AM   #43
solidfire93

solidfire93's Avatar
Default Re: Tank armor changes

this update made me cum....
great job,keep up the good work.
solidfire93 is offline
Old 03-15-2016, 03:33 AM   #44
CURRENT_YEAR
Default Re: Tank armor changes

So an ATGM can mission kill a T-90 with a front-side hit. Good. Please reflect that in-game instead of chipping off its paint.
CURRENT_YEAR is offline
Old 03-15-2016, 04:35 AM   #45
mries
Supporting Member
Default Re: Tank armor changes

Love the updates!

But I do think that because the TOW is less effective in front now that you need to ambush/counter tanks with TOWs now. Could it be wise to higher the range of 200m from where you can place a tow from a FOB distance? So you can place the TOW more on an ambush position to lure the enemy tanks in to your FOB (which most of the time is guided by UAV or infantry) and then kill a tank from the side.

mries is offline
Old 03-15-2016, 05:34 AM   #46
Scheintot887
Send a message via ICQ to Scheintot887 Send a message via MSN to Scheintot887
Default Re: Tank armor changes

Forget the reality as the one and only reference. When you implement something into PR you need to think about the balance first. You could also give us an AC-130. Give us an AC-130 on Karbala....

It does not realy matter if a tank gets disabled or not by a front hit. It was about the balance between a good gameplay and realism, remember?
Scheintot887 is offline
Old 03-15-2016, 06:01 AM   #47
CURRENT_YEAR
Default Re: Tank armor changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheintot887 View Post
It does not realy matter if a tank gets disabled or not by a front hit. It was about the balance between a good gameplay and realism, remember?
Absolutely, and right now, the balance is already tilted towards assets, especially heavily armored mobile ground assets, and against defensive-minded infantry on the defense statically defending a static defensive position defensively.

This change will worsen that bias.
CURRENT_YEAR is offline
Last edited by CURRENT_YEAR; 03-15-2016 at 06:08 AM..
Old 03-15-2016, 06:40 AM   #48
[R-CON]Spook
PR Tournament Management
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

[R-CON]Spook's Avatar
Default Re: Tank armor changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobi-the-fraggel View Post
There are a lot of videos on lubetupe where you can find tanks 'partly' surviving atgm hits. At least 1 or 2 of the crew.
The video cuts out too early to judge but you can only see the commander jumping out.

Also don't forget that this is more or less actual footage so it shows battle proofen combatants on both sides. These tank crewmen probably have years of battlefield experience now. The 'shitting pants' time is over. I doubt they would leave their tank if they don't have to.
But who knows. Both of us were not there. Just be careful with judging like this about those fighters.

Let's not forget it's a t-72 which is not famous for it's armour.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-72

EDIT: Wait, that's actually a T-90. Well the armour protection is better with this one.
EDIT2: That indeed changes things a bit. I stand by my point though. If the crew didn't saw a need to leave then they would probably not have left. Might have been a lucky shot then, considering it hit the front turret.
Dude you ain't gonna continue sitting in a turrent if you still got arms and legs left after a direct TOW hit. Especially if you are used to operating tanks which usually do not survive such a hit. Their heads were ringing and they probably shat their pants but the tank made it. Otherwise the video would not have been cut so shorty and they would have filmed its cookoff or at least pose with it. This is the first case where a T-90 gets hit by an ATGM, they would have propagandaed the shit of of that.

[R-CON]Spook is offline
Old 03-15-2016, 08:15 AM   #49
Madar_al_Fakar

Madar_al_Fakar's Avatar
Default Re: Tank armor changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Spook View Post
Dude you ain't gonna continue sitting in a turrent if you still got arms and legs left after a direct TOW hit. Especially if you are used to operating tanks which usually do not survive such a hit. Their heads were ringing and they probably shat their pants but the tank made it. Otherwise the video would not have been cut so shorty and they would have filmed its cookoff or at least pose with it. This is the first case where a T-90 gets hit by an ATGM, they would have propagandaed the shit of of that.
Exactly as you said it, all of it. Leaving a tank after a hit like that was an instinctive decision, once they got some fresh air and took 20 seconds to assess what happened they ran back into the tank and drove away.
Madar_al_Fakar is offline
Old 03-15-2016, 08:54 AM   #50
Cossack
Supporting Member

Cossack's Avatar
Send a message via Skype™ to Cossack
Default Re: Tank armor changes

Seems like right now Stationary AT is useless for denying area of the map. Now tanks will dominate, because guy with Eryx can carry only one rocket and tank crew instead of RTB or run away will charge in because - "this isn't a threat anymore".

Either give more AT capability (more LAT's and HAT's) or increase the damage taken. Right now, sensing nothing good about it.

Cossack is offline
Closed Thread

Tags
#maketanksgreatagain, armor, tank
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:12 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin. ©vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
All Content Copyright ©2004 - 2015, Project Reality.