project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > PR Highlights
17 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR Highlights Highlights of what work the Devs are currently working on

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2016, 09:10 PM   #41
[R-CON]potatochan
PR:BF2 Contributor
Default Re: CLOS SAM Systems

Wow thats rude I just said you nag like an old man. But you probably didn't mean what you said

Old 01-30-2016, 09:57 PM   #42
Navo

Wow everyone take a chill pill

Also Rhino, I always enjoy these long informative posts.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:12 AM   #43
solidfire93

Old 01-31-2016, 05:57 AM   #44
Jacksonez__

Does pilot get lock-on warning when that command-line-of-sight missile is approaching aircraft? Or will it be a "silent killer"? Should get lock on warning so pilots can make evasive maneuvers.

I just thought that it is impossible for CAS helicopter to avoid Starstreak missiles. You cant' really do "steep" movements with CAS helicopters without losing the control. And if you manage to pull some epic evasive trick moves, the approximity fuse will fuck you up anyways. So it's kind of GG.

With the current AA system, I think you could pop flares and pull hard right or left so the AA missile would explode on flares. My logic says you cannot evade that Starstreak missile since helicopters really are not that fast.

Last edited by Jacksonez__; 01-31-2016 at 06:05 AM..
Old 01-31-2016, 08:52 AM   #45
Navo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonez__ View Post
Does pilot get lock-on warning when that command-line-of-sight missile is approaching aircraft? Or will it be a "silent killer"? Should get lock on warning so pilots can make evasive maneuvers.

I just thought that it is impossible for CAS helicopter to avoid Starstreak missiles. You cant' really do "steep" movements with CAS helicopters without losing the control. And if you manage to pull some epic evasive trick moves, the approximity fuse will fuck you up anyways. So it's kind of GG.

With the current AA system, I think you could pop flares and pull hard right or left so the AA missile would explode on flares. My logic says you cannot evade that Starstreak missile since helicopters really are not that fast.
From my experience, the Stormer already killed it's target 75% of the time if you spammed all 8 missiles.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:03 AM   #46
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo View Post
Also Rhino, I always enjoy these long informative posts.
Cheers, was starting to wonder if anyone was reading these walls of text

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefmoto1 View Post
I actually really like this system, I'm all for more skill based weapons. I just hope that it isn't so abundant that it's hard to make Trans runs.
Shooting choppers at long range, without any zoom anyways, is still going to be pretty tricky and the best tactic is probably to fly seriously low and as fast as possible as a chopper, using as much terrain cover as possible to give the AA as little time as possible to deploy the weapon, and shoot you if he gets eyes on. As well as trying to stay away from the front lines too will help

But ye, I must admit that I am worried for choppers on the Falklands. It was hard enough for them before with IR AA Missiles everywhere and all the jets about also taking the odd pot shots at them, but will have to wait and see what happens when we get a full server of people playing.

Quote:
No they get no lock-on warnings at all.

The only thing we could possibly do is implement the same system the vBF2 tanks had, which is when ever an AT missile launcher, was aimed at them, they would get a lock on warning, like in this video at 25secs, but note in that video a missile from the LAV is never fired, its just the launcher pointing at them that gives them the warning. If we also did implement this into PR, aircraft wouldn't be able to tell the difference between if it is an IR missile being launched, or CLOS SAM aiming at them, so you would be using up your flares for nothing it if was a CLOS SAM, although that isn't that bad. The worst thing thou is that to get this system to work, we would most likely have to fully re-implement the "Being Locked" tone back into PR, to get the system above to work. Currently we only have the "You are Locked" tone, when a missile is fully locked on to you and is already in the air, where we have removed the "You are being locked" tone from vBF2, which means someone is trying to lock you, but hasn't got a lock yet, giving you a chance to deploy flares before they have fully got a lock and had a chance to fire off the missile before you have had a chance to start to deploy flares. If we re-implemented this, it would make it even easier than it already is to avoid IR Missiles, since the gunner would never be able to get a decent lock to even begin to fire his missiles, by the time you have managed to bug out or even kill him...

This is also not to forget that this system would be unrealistic since the Aircraft in the Falklands, didn't have anything that could detect the CLOS SAMs, and the Starstreak is designed to be a super-silent killer even to modern detenction systems, with the only one which would give out any signals would be the Tunguska, which is only used on one map and has SACLOS as a backup, and can already fire its guns without giving you a locked warning

If CLOS SAMs prove far too devastating then we might look into trying to implement a warning somehow but to do so, we would most likley have to sacrifice some other important gameplay aspect.

Quote:

Well for a CAS chopper, your best bet is to get solid Intel from your team on where it is, and avoid that area until something on the ground has destroyed it

But I wouldn't say its impossible to avoid its missiles when its fired, but isn't going to be easier ye, the Stormer will have the upper hand, as AA should tbh

Old 01-31-2016, 02:57 PM   #47
Tit4Tat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalianplant[x64] View Post
-snip-

IMO, another banned user/player (prob CAS user ) that didn't get his way or wasn't listened to by community which in turn made him have a "fued" with PR and the DEV team.

On topic, cant wait to try this cause as things stand its a lottery to hit CAS.

==============================================

=MeRk=_Smurf_1st

Last edited by Tit4Tat; 01-31-2016 at 03:11 PM..
Old 01-31-2016, 03:01 PM   #48
W.Darwin
Banned

Rhino, I like all the change implemented, the diversity of the gameplay is a major force in Project Reality! Thanks for the work on that its greatly appreciated.

Although, as time goes by and Anti-air defense systems get better, the supremacy of CAS on the field is decreasing. Maybe drop 20 min spawn to 15 minutes? Depending on how the game dynamic is affected by these new piece of armor.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:06 PM   #49
Rabbit

I for one welcome our new CLOS overlords.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:57 PM   #50
c4ke

Taking milsim to a whole 'nother level. Nicely done Rhino.
Closed Thread

Tags
clos, sam, systems