project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > PR Highlights
01 Aug 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR Highlights Highlights of what work the Devs are currently working on

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 01:51 AM   #1
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Smile Transport Helicopter Updates

Hey all,

Elaborating on Devcast #3 I'm going to outline some more of the changes to transport helicopters in v1.0 and in a little more detail.

Transport Helicopter Classes

First we have started by properly splitting our transport helicopters up into Light, Medium and Heavy lift classes based on their real life capabilities. Each of these classes performs a slightly different role and should be used differently on the battlefield to help keep your team on the move.

Light Transport/Utility Helicopters

The Light Transport Helicopters which are small, fast and manoeuvrable are mainly used for troop transport carrying up to eight players including the pilot, but also carry a new "Light Supply Crate" which I'll go into more detail on later in this highlight. This class of helicopter includes the Huey series which was incorrectly classed as Medium lift before, the Lynx and the new Zhi-9 and Panther series.
Full list of Light Transport Helicopters:
  • UH-1H Huey
  • Zhi-9B
  • AS 565MB Panther
  • AH-7 Lynx
  • UH-1D Huey
  • UH-1N Huey
  • UH-1C/E Huey
  • UH-1D Huey
  • UH-1D Medievac Huey

Medium Transport/Utility Helicopters

The Medium Transport Helicopters which most of you are pretty familiar with are as the name suggested, a medium sized helicopter that are used equally for both troop transport and logistics, carrying a single "Heavy supply Crate" (the crate your all use to in PR and works the same way in v1.0 as it did before) as well as a full load of troops. This class includes the UH-60 Black Hawk and the Mi-17 Hip which is also China's new Medium Lift Helicopter.
Full list of Medium Transport Helicopters:
  • Merlin HC3
  • Wessex HU.5
  • / Mil-8 Hip
  • // Mil-17
  • / UH-60 Black Hawk
  • H-34 Choctaw

Heavy Transport/Utility Helicopters

The Heavy Transport Helicopters are very large helicopters that require a pretty large LZ and are mainly used for logistic purposes, carrying two "Heavy Supply Crates" as well as a full load of troops. This class includes the Chinook series, the new MV-22 Osprey and the Z-8KA which was incorrectly classed as Medium Lift before.
Full list of Heavy Transport Helicopters:
  • Zhi-8KA
  • // Chinook
  • MV-22 Osprey

Light Supply Crate

As mentioned in the Devcast we have made a new logistics crate called the "Light Supply Crate" (LSC) and so far is only carried by the Light Transport/Utility Helicopters. For all intensive purposes, this crate is half a normal "Heavy Supply Crate", which is the supply crate you are all use to seeing in PR. By this I mean the Light Supply Crate has half the ammo resupply of a Heavy Supply Crate and you need twice as many of these Light Supply Crates in order to deploy any assets. So for example you need two of these Light Supply Crates in order to deploy a Forward Outpost and four are required to deploy any additional assets/weapons. You can still request kits off of this crate just like a normal Heavy Supply Crate. This essentially means that the Light Transport Helicopters can still do simple resupply missions on their own to out of the way squads, but in order to deploy any assets, they either need to team up with another Light Chopper, both dropping off their crates at the same location or need to make two trips in order to deploy a Forward Outpost.

Helicopter Wheels

As you've probably seen in the Devcast the working helicopter wheels concept which was first seen in PR:F v0.1 as a Proof of Concept dynamic and received the communities approval has been applied to all wheeled helicopters in PR for v1.0.

This essentially allows wheeled helicopters to taxi and perform rolling landings, as well as having much more control while on the ground. Before in PR and vBF2 the wheels where just for show but now helicopters with wheels will behave very differently on the ground from helicopters with skids. This will take a bit of time to get use to but once your use to the new system, you should really appreciate the new control you have on the ground and the new options you have for landing.

Cheers for reading and hope you all like the changes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last edited by [R-DEV]Jafar Ironclad; 04-12-2013 at 05:32 AM..
Old 04-12-2013, 01:58 AM   #2
zombie-yellow

Send a message via Skype™ to zombie-yellow
Default Re: Transport Helictoper Updates

Looking great !

Also, I'm glad that the Merlin is back !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:07 AM   #3
AnimalMother.

I am moist.

Does this mean the Merlin has been fixed and will once again feature one maps? (please be a yes)

|TG-31st|

vistamaster01: "I just dont get people with girl usernames/pics/sigs lol,
for example I thought AnimalMother was a girl
"

Arte et Marte
Old 04-12-2013, 02:09 AM   #4
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie-yellow View Post
Also, I'm glad that the Merlin is back !
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalMother. View Post
Does this mean the Merlin has been fixed and will once again feature one maps? (please be a yes)
No I'm sorry to say its still bugged and won't be seen much ingame but at some point in the future we hope to correct that

Old 04-12-2013, 02:20 AM   #5
zombie-yellow

What's the problem with it ?

Old 04-12-2013, 02:26 AM   #6
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

It lags most pilots out while flying for some unknown reason and the only solution we can think of that should fix the problem is a re-export from scratch but right now we don't have the resources to do it, is however in our long term plans

Old 04-12-2013, 02:33 AM   #7
zombie-yellow

Cool

Old 04-12-2013, 03:05 AM   #8
titsmcgee852

So the medium choppers have to drop crates off twice before you can build assets other than a FOB or am I missing something?
Old 04-12-2013, 03:16 AM   #9
zombie-yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by titsmcgee852 View Post
So the medium choppers have to drop crates off twice before you can build assets other than a FOB or am I missing something?
You're indeed missing something. Go back and (re)-read the post.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:20 AM   #10
ShockUnitBlack

I already asked Jafar this in another thread, but just to confirm - is Stigger's Mi-8 currently a "maybe" v1.0 inclusion?

Closed Thread

Tags
helicopter, helictoper, transport, updates