project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Modding Tutorials
18 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Modding Tutorials Information and tutorials related to modding BF2.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2009, 01:00 AM   #1
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Arrow BF2 TPaint

I'm posting this up here as the main site TPaint use to be hosted on has gone down and I dont want this to be lost to the community

I did not make this tool or this tut, this was made by [PC]BF2C|Token

Quote:
Originally Posted by [PC]BF2C|Token
BF2_TPaint

I've created a simple tool to make texturing your maps easier. It will make both the color map and detail map, based on height and gradient.

It does not make highly realistic textures like terragen and world machine, but it is useful to create a base texture if you want to paint the terrain by hand. It also includes a tool that will split a whole color/detail map into the correct format for the editor (tx00x00.dds...), which will be useful if you use an external program, eg Terragen.

Download BF2_TPaint_v0.33:
Link 1: http://realitymodfiles.com/rhino/edi...aint_v0.33.rar
Link 2: Domein gereserveerd door VIP Internet
Link 3: bf2_tpaint.rar Download File on FileFront

WinRAR Beta 3.60 beta 7 save and install, then when unzipping bf2_tpaint put it in the Battlefield 2\bf2_tpaint folder. Yes you will have to make the directory.

Instructions:

1. BACKUP your level first, I won't accept any blame if you screw up your map that you have been working on for 20 hours .
2. Extract the rar to your level folder so that the files sit in the subfolder ..\MY_LEVEL\bf2_tpaint\
3. Run "BF2_TPaint.exe"
4. You have some new (as of v0.3) options now:

For best results you should select "Mirror colour texture" unless your colours textures are seamless. Deselect "Paint surrounding terrain" if you want to just paint the primary terrain and save time. Click "Go" to make it go.
5. Delete the folders MY_LEVEL\editor\detailmaps, MY_LEVEL\editor\colormaps and MY_LEVEL\editor\lowdetailmaps. Remember you should have made backups.
6. Copy the folders "colormaps", "detailmaps" and "lowdetailmaps" (if you painted the surrounding terrains) to ...\MY_LEVEL\editor
7. Open the editor
8. Assign detail textures and materials, so that Layer 1 is your steep texture (eg. Rock), Layer 2 is your high texture(eg. Grass) and Layer 3 is your low texture(eg. sand):

9. Assign LowDetailTypes and generate the Low Detailmap.
10. Save your level with the following options:

How To Change Colours:
BF2_TPaint uses 3 textures to paint the high areas, the low areas and the steep areas, named "high.tga", "low.tga" and "steep.tga" respectively. You can change these textures to suit your map, but they must be 512x512 24-bit BGR TGA images. The images need to be placed in the "data" subfolder.

How To Change Blending Coefficients:
BF2_TPaint uses 2 gradients to determine how the 3 colour textures are blended together, called "grad_angle.tga" and "grad_height.tga", found in the data subfolder. They are 512x10 8-bit Mono TGA images that can be easily created in an image editing program, such as Photoshop.

grad_height.tga
Open this image and you will see the gradient that determines the height and smoothness of the blend between the low.tga and high.tga.

The maximum height of your terrain can be found on the tweaker bar:

grad_angle.tga
The texture created by blending low.tga and high.tga is then blended with steep.tga depending on the normal angle of the terrain and this gradient.

Command Line Parameters
As of version .33 BF2_TPaint can take command line parameters. If the program is executed with the following parameters then the dialog box will not appear and BF2_TPaint will process the textures maps straight away.

bf2_tpaint -mirror 1 -surround 1 -deltemps 1

Where 1==true and 0==false, be carefull of the case-sensitivity.

Token 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by [PC]BF2C|Token
BF2_TSplit

A simple command line tool, used by BF2_TPaint that will take a full size color / detail texture and split it up in to the smaller textures used by the bf2 editor.

You could also use it to split up textures generated with programs such as Terragen or World Machine. It's syntax is:

bf2_tsplit [detailmap] [colormap]

or you can give "null" as the filename to either argument if you want to just split a colormap, or just split a detailmap. Just make sure that the original images that you are splitting are the right size for your height map.

Token 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:17 AM   #2
Jonny
PR Server License Moderator
Default Re: [Tool] BF2 TPaint

It moved to here a while ago...

BF2_TPaint
Jonny is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:20 AM   #3
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

ye, where I got this off but just encase that goes down, + more ppl will see it here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
Durkie

I got a problem whit Tpaint it is only painting layer 3

"Goddam it, you'll never get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!"
Captain Henry P. Jim Crowe
Durkie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
Jonny

Did you happen to edit the tga files in the data folder, so that you only paint the 'low' texture?
Old 05-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
Durkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Did you happen to edit the tga files in the data folder, so that you only paint the 'low' texture?
no I used the tga files from the rar

Old 05-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #7
Jonny

Did you set textures, detailmaps and low detailmaps for the first two slots?
Old 05-15-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
Durkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Did you set textures, detailmaps and low detailmaps for the first two slots?
I did and if I set the low detail type in another order I still got the same problem

Old 05-15-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
Jonny

If you open the detailmaps in irfanview are there three colours (excluding black) in any of the dds files?

If there is then the editor is probably corrupted.

If not then it would appear that Tpaint was corrupted during DL.

If you still get the problem then post a load of (jpg) screen shots of the editor, your detail/colour maps (in irfanview), the tga files (in irfanview), and the contents of the data folder in the Tpaint files in your maps directory.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:39 PM   #10
Durkie

I still have the same problem so here come the screenshots

Editor

Editor more closer so you can see the texture

Detailmaps

Colormaps

Data Folder

PS: this is just a test map so the terrain is just to test Tpaint