project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Modding Tutorials
01 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Modding Tutorials Information and tutorials related to modding BF2.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #121
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Maps] The Tutorial/Tool List for PR Mapping, for beginners & up

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rudd View Post
thats not always necessary, and the sec heightmaps from that tool are a good starting point/placeholder
This is basically what the tool is doing, using OGT as an example.

Now with OGTs VD you most likley wouldn't notice how crappy the surrounding terrain was but with a much larger VD, and epically on a map with air assets, you would easily be able to see things like for starters, the river looks totally wrong and the train track lines (which the terrain has been modified for) don't meet up at all etc, espically in the NW of the map the train line goes off at a 90deg angle all of a sudden.. In some locations you could even see the extra rivers on the map...

The tool isn't a good starting point as it means you need to do even more work to clean it up the surrounding terrain than if you where just working with a blank map and if used as a place holder, it would get left...

It is far better to do the surrounding terrain at the very begging of the map, epically if your generating the terrain or using DEM data.

If generating your terrain, generate your map size by 3 then split the map up in photoshop, using the centre for the pri terrain and the edges for the surrounding terrain, as I did for my "Test Airfield" map:
Design Map:

L3DT Minimap with surrounding terrain:

And if your using DEM data, take the area outside of where you want your map to be as well as the map, then split it up in photoshop, much like what you would do above with generating terrain, except your not generating it, although if your going to shove it though Geocontrol keep it as one for that before you split it up.

Doing the above not only means you get a much, much better result and very nice transition between your Pri and Surrounding terrain, but you also save a heap of time trying to clean up a really crappy surrounding terrain which dosen't work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]Rhino is online now Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #122
[R-DEV]Rudd
Supporting Member

well, its like any tool, appropriate use means it'll work and inappropriate use will result in not so great stuff.

If you have a terrain that'll benefit from using a more advanced method then you can use that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-DEV]Rudd is online now Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #123
[R-DEV]Amok@ndy
PR:BF2 Comm Faction Lead
PR Server License Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]Amok@ndy

the tool works fine for flat desert maps for example rhino

though i completly agree that geocontrol or l3dt secondary terrain looks much better

[R-DEV]Amok@ndy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #124
Linx_esp

Hi all, I have started on mapping two days ago, following all the steps of the tutorials (I have made the first two tutorials) , but I have a problem. The fact is that when I load the map that I have created, it reaches 15 % and then the game crashes with no error messages. Can anyone help me?

System Specs:
-Windows 7
-Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @2.50GHz
-4 GB RAM Memory
-NVIDIA GeForce G210

Linx_esp is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #125
[R-DEV]AFsoccer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linx_esp View Post
Hi all, I have started on mapping two days ago, following all the steps of the tutorials (I have made the first two tutorials) , but I have a problem. The fact is that when I load the map that I have created, it reaches 15 % and then the game crashes with no error messages. Can anyone help me?
There are many, many things that can go wrong when you first load a map.

Search the PR modding forum for "15% CTD", "16% CTD", etc. Another really good resource (with even better search engine) is BF Editor Portal.

[R-DEV]AFsoccer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #126
[R-CON]sylent/shooter
PR:BF2 Contributor

Or...... here An Error Has Occurred!

Tells most known causes and specific percentages

Killing the enemy sylently
[R-CON]sylent/shooter is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #127
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AFsoccer View Post
There are many, many things that can go wrong when you first load a map.

Search the PR modding forum for "15% CTD", "16% CTD", etc. Another really good resource (with even better search engine) is BF Editor Portal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylent/shooter View Post
Or...... here An Error Has Occurred!

Tells most known causes and specific percentages
I'm sorry but I can't support this advice as going off what percentage you crashed on isn't very accruate and can easily send someone off on a wild goose chase...

by what shooter posted there could be four different things wrong with the map and I very much doubt any of thous things listed is actually the problem, and if they are, no clear solution is posted there.

The first thing you should do is test you map in windowed mode, by cloning your pr/bf2 shortcut and then adding a " +fullscreen 0 +szx 1024 +szy 768" (without the quotes) to the end of your shortcuts target box. Then running your map as normal, see if you get an error. If so you should then search that error on the BFeditor forums AF linked above.

If no then your next step should be looking into the debugger (bf2_r.exe), more info here: SELF HELP (Please read First) - Official BF Editor Forums

But for you Linx_esp I would only try the windowed mode at this stage. Running your map though the debugger is most likley only going to confuse you more at this stage.

Your problem is most likley down to you testing your map in PR when its set up for vBF2 (since you have only done the first two tuts) and as such, its not working in PR since PR works quite differently from vBF2 in terms of kit setups etc. As I thought was noted on the OP of this topic, but wasn't and now is noted there, for beginners I recommend first mapping in vBF2 to keep things as simple as possible just to get a grasp of how BF2 works. Once you have done that and made a basic test map, then move onto pr_edit and learn the ways of PR, on top of your knowledge of vBF2.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:11 AM   #128
[R-DEV]AFsoccer
Supporting Member

Good point Rhino. Run it in windowed mode and cross your fingers that it gives you an error.

[R-DEV]AFsoccer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:32 AM   #129
Linx_esp

Ok, the map now loads untill the end (I can enven see the "join game" button) but then another error message appears. It says something like:

"texture not found: levels/my_level/detailmaps/tx03x03_1"

EDIT: Ok I fixed it again by copying the file and placing it into the folder, but now I have a similar error, like the above one but with "tx05x05_1", I've made the same thing and now I can play!

Now I am going to try placing some objects around the map an see how reacts the level. If there is any problem, I will edit again this post. Thanks.

Linx_esp is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #130
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

No linx don't edit your post, for one we won't know if its edited unless we keep on checking the topic and two, this isn't the place to ask for help as people wont easily be able to find these posts if they are searching for the same problems.

If you have any more questions and after you have first searched for the problem and you don't find out what your looking for, then make a topic in the community modding section as per these guidelines: http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f388...uidelines.html

Cheers.

Tags
beggingers, beginners, experienced, list, map, mappers, mapping, maps, start, tutorial, tutorial or tool, tuts