project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
01 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #21
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: No rendering behind objects blocking line of sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarranauha200 View Post
So its not bs tread after all.
Well, OP still might of been BSing but he did remind me about that post I saw on BFeditor a few weeks ago I was meaning to look into but forgot about

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #22
Gozjh

Good to hear how a possible prank thread actually helped. GET SOME TROLOLOLOERS.

Would these be released with the rest of PR optimisation, or would come afterwards because of work load?

[R-DEV]Rudd: "its project reality...not an episode of bob the builder or something...."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gozjh; 06-23-2011 at 01:32 PM..
Old 06-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #23
SGT.Ice

mmm 4km Urban map...

Old 06-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #24
[R-DEV]Rudd
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT.Ice View Post
mmm 4km Urban map...
I'd certainly want to redesign some of Burning Sands using this method if we figure it out

Old 06-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #25
zenarion

Find the sources of the models that need occlusion meshes made for them, or some kind of exporter for Maya. I'm game to make them.

The mad HAT-er || In-game: K.Volomnak
Old 06-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #26
splatters

Creating the occlusion model isn't the problem here, you could even use a vehicle COL or a simple LOD for that.

However, occlusion rendering will take a toll on performance too so there needs to be some experimenting where the line between improving performance and counter productive goes. Also, it would be intuitive that occlusion rendering occurs only within a certain ranges (like LODS, but only one) of the player, since the further the object is the less its apparent size is and the less chance there is that it blocks something completely.

BTW, all objects behind the player are not rendered AFAIC. In Kashan bunkers for example, when at the ramp behind the bunkers looking away from it you can see the ramp disappear in the corner of your FOV, at least on widescreen resolutions. Do tell me if this is wrong though (if you have facts), this just my personal belief based on experience.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #27
llRvXll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoddom View Post
but otherwise, when youre moving fast it could end up in hard fps drops, because it has to render everything very fast. just like in minecraft^^
thats what i was going to say...

and what if you're inside an aircraft, or a heli... you would've to turn really fast and render everything...
Old 06-24-2011, 02:47 AM   #28
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
mmm 4km Urban map...
this wont suddenly mean you can have 4km urban maps, even if you can find a mapper who is able to place down that many statics while still keeping detail etc high.

All this will do is slightly improve performance in some areas if your lucky.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:24 AM   #29
[R-CON]Psyrus
PR:BF2 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
this wont suddenly mean you can have 4km urban maps, even if you can find a mapper who is able to place down that many statics while still keeping detail etc high.

All this will do is slightly improve performance in some areas if your lucky.
Theoretically though, a tight 4km city map (or really any tight city scenario) with reasonably high buildings on average would be the perfect setting for occlusion culling/rendering to strut its stuff... wouldn't it? The density combined with the height of the buildings would mean that the individual player would be virtually surrounded by buildings (say a 50m radius) at all times, which would mean that only (in theory) his immediate surrounding buildings would be rendered, allowing a very detailed city while maintaining a high performance level.

Air vehicles, however, would be absolutely destroyed by that kind of map (as there would be nothing occluding their view while in the sky). I guess 100-200 poly final LODs for buildings would be absolutely essential...
Old 06-24-2011, 04:32 AM   #30
SGT.Ice

Quote:
mmm 4km Urban map...
The possibility is still mouth watering. Even if it dosen't make an appearance in BF2 PR, for the future i'd still like to see it.

Closed Thread

Tags
blocking, line, objects, rendering, sight