project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
24 Feb 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #41
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Progress Bar for FOB Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by killonsight95 View Post
just put the bar in untill one of the people that don't like make the models in the middle?
it isn't possible on the BF2 engine to have different wreck models for different damage states...

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #42
[R-DEV]AfterDune
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim270 View Post
Mares well remove the bleed effects and vehicle smoke/damage states then
Anyone got any apples left? Or oranges for that matter?

[R-DEV]AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #43
Web_cole
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Web_cole Send a message via Skype™ to Web_cole

I am also of the opinion that cleaner HUD or less HUD is just better, and that any kind of progress bar is pretty much the opposite direction from where PR is right now. I think its a good idea to know how far along you are with building your deployable, but some kind of implicit indicator would be preferred imo (a la the bleed out and the Black and White effect, or the smoke stages of the vehicles and caches)

You ask whats the difference and I say its one of atmosphere and immersion. A progress bar is an obviously gamey artificial mechanic. I see an explicit indicator ie a loading bar and I am immediately brought out of the experience and reminded I am playing a game (whether its about dirt or not Rudd ). Whereas an implicit indicator (the smoke stages, the bleed out effects) maintain my immersion within the experience, perhaps even increase it.

I realise an implicit indicator is potentially more work, but hey, that's my 2 cents

Last edited by Web_cole; 02-07-2011 at 12:57 PM..
Old 02-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #44
DenvH

You could give it 5 states maybe.

1st - (0%) Dirt + Some empty sandbags.
2nd - (25%) Sandbags fully build.
3rd - (50%) Camo net going up.
4th - (75%) Camo net fully up.
5th - (100%) Radio is in place and starts making noises

Something like that would work but I think it's more work for a small gain since you can just build it till it's done and you can no longer dig. If you can dig it, it means it's not fully up, and if you can't it's either hostile or 100% up.

The time indication is not necessary in my opinion, maybe because I'm used to what's in the game right now but if you are building a FOB, you want to make sure it's in a safe place and you can take your time to dig it up. No stress involved although I can understand that irl you would be able to estimate the time left to build something but I can imagine the work that needs to be done creating new damage states..

DenvH is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #45
Bad&Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanRamey View Post
I was thinking one time "it would be kinda nice to be able to see what the current progress is of the FOB I'm building". So I think that there should be some kinda bar like there is for repairing vehicles in vBF2, only for when you have a shovel and your building a FOB. It wouldn't do much for gameplay but it shouldn't be hard to make either because vBF2 already does it. But yeah... just thought it would be nice, but not important.
Not realistic..

Bad&Mad is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #46
Stoickk

I am against this idea. The only time building a FOB takes so long that a progress bar would even be valuable is when it is being built by one or two guys. Any more than that, and it is done so quickly that a progress bar is irrelevant.

I think that there are other more pressing issues for the PR Devs to address, such as giving Insurgent factions a wrench, and overhauling the Combat Engineer class.
Stoickk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #47
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvH View Post
You could give it 5 states maybe.

1st - (0%) Dirt + Some empty sandbags.
2nd - (25%) Sandbags fully build.
3rd - (50%) Camo net going up.
4th - (75%) Camo net fully up.
5th - (100%) Radio is in place and starts making noises
Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
it isn't possible on the BF2 engine to have different wreck models for different damage states...
Unless your talking about damage state effects, which is very different and what your suggesting there isn't really possible to do via an effect. It is in a way, but wouldn't be very good way of doing it as if you stopped building for a bit at say 50%, then the sandbags may disappear even thou its still at 50% since you can't have a very long TTL on an effect.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #48
Web_cole
Supporting Member

It needn't necessarily be a visual indicator, it could be audio. Or a combination of both. Something like:

Getting there 33% = Base model > "Complete" model
Almost finished 66% = Sporadic construction sounds (Hammers, saws, something like that)
Finshed 100% = Radio sound

Web_cole is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #49
goguapsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web_cole View Post
Almost finished 66% = Sporadic construction sounds (Hammers, saws, something like that)
That would sound SO funny...

Guys, when a new player comes, just answer his question and go on your merry way, instead of going berserk! It's THAT simple!

[/CENTER]
goguapsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #50
Web_cole
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goguapsy View Post
That would sound SO funny...
Well it doesn't have to be that. My point was that up until now people have only been thinking about visual cues, when audio cues are (presumably, hopefully?) possible.

Web_cole is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
bar, building, fob, progress