project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
18 Feb 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #21
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Progress Bar for FOB Building

there is a healthbar when people are below X%

the clean HUD is there to be more realistic and not impede immersive view, a build meter for building assets wouuld be inkeeping with that philosopy as 1) theres nothing to see other than the shovel and the meter 2) knowing how much needs to be built is realistic. Healing, though a continuous value ingame is a discontinuous value IRL, so having the meter only at less than X% makes sense. vehicles don't need a health meter of any kind as you can see them smoke in proportion to damage.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #22
Kain888
Supporting Member

Don't really like that suggestion. For reasons see some posts above, as there is no point to double them here. :)

Kain888 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #23
Tirak

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rudd View Post
there is a healthbar when people are below X%

the clean HUD is there to be more realistic and not impede immersive view, a build meter for building assets wouuld be inkeeping with that philosopy as 1) theres nothing to see other than the shovel and the meter 2) knowing how much needs to be built is realistic. Healing, though a continuous value ingame is a discontinuous value IRL, so having the meter only at less than X% makes sense. vehicles don't need a health meter of any kind as you can see them smoke in proportion to damage.
So then, as previously suggested, have multiple build states that the FOB goes through. Sure it'll be work to implement and take a while, but how long did we just have to wait for the HATs to be ready? How long did we just have to wait for C4 to be able to be placed. I'm not saying it would be easy, I'm not saying I think it should be done, but not a progress bar, never a progress bar. A progress bar is the lazy way to go, and doesn't fit the philosophy of PRs "Clean HUD".
Tirak is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #24
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
but how long did we just have to wait for the HATs to be ready? How long did we just have to wait for C4 to be able to be placed.
both eventually accomplished by quite simple mechanics, making assets go through several phases requires an amount of work completely disproportionate to reward

and I fail to see the arguement of minimalist huds in this case, as I've stated...you're just staring at dirt. DIRT, the Hud won't get in the way.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #25
Tim270
Retired PR Developer

I do not really see the point when fire-bases 'bleed' anyway until they collapse unless it is fully or near fully shovelled. That is the visual representation of how much you have left to do as there is not point in half building it. Its either 100% health, zero or bleeding back to 0. If firebases had different damage stages, then ok, but they do not so its really quite useless information you are giving to the player with a health bar for it.

Its like repairing vehicles, you get a spanner Icon so that I know I am being repaired, you get a different smoke colour to indicate how badly you are damaged thus negating the need for a health bar to show you how much health you have and if its going up or down.

Tim270 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #26
Kain888
Supporting Member

Quote:
and I fail to see the arguement of minimalist huds in this case, as I've stated...you're just staring at dirt. DIRT, the Hud won't get in the way.
It's not about obscuring view, but about the feeling. Minimalistic view supports immersion.

Kain888 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #27
Tirak

Quote:
both eventually accomplished by quite simple mechanics, making assets go through several phases requires an amount of work completely disproportionate to reward

The minimalist hud idea comes from taking all the extra shit you don't have in RL off your HUD. In real life, you don't have a reticule, so PR doesn't have once. The reticule never got in the way, but it wasn't realistic. In real life, I don't have a magic bar that shows up when I'm building a shed.

If the idea were for the clean hud that "Oh as long as you're staring at something uninteresting that you should have a rough idea of whats going on it's OK to have" then I want my health bars back because "I'm just staring at his camouflaged ass while i medic him." I would have wanted my Armor bars back when you had to physically fix the tank because "I'm just staring at a featureless armored panel." See the logic Rudd? If you want an indicator, make it a natural one. Tanks have different smoke levels, players cough when they're bleeding, so give the FOB a visible indicator, not progress bars.
Tirak is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #28
goguapsy

Any chances to have a "progressable FOB" as in, the more you build, the more sandbags come up, until it gets to the final (current) state?

Guys, when a new player comes, just answer his question and go on your merry way, instead of going berserk! It's THAT simple!

[/CENTER]
goguapsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #29
[R-DEV]AfterDune
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Visible indicator or progress bar, what's the diference man. In real life you know how far along you are when building whatever.

In PR right now, you have no idea when you're ready building a deployable. I personally think it's nice to somehow see how far along you are. And if that's done through a progress bar or some other visual indicator, I really don't care.

Keep in mind, this is only discussion, it's not sure if this will eventually be in PR or not.

[R-DEV]AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #30
MrTomRobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirak View Post
The minimalist hud idea comes from taking all the extra shit you don't have in RL off your HUD. In real life, you don't have a reticule, so PR doesn't have once. The reticule never got in the way, but it wasn't realistic. In real life, I don't have a magic bar that shows up when I'm building a shed.

If the idea were for the clean hud that "Oh as long as you're staring at something uninteresting that you should have a rough idea of whats going on it's OK to have" then I want my health bars back because "I'm just staring at his camouflaged ass while i medic him." I would have wanted my Armor bars back when you had to physically fix the tank because "I'm just staring at a featureless armored panel." See the logic Rudd? If you want an indicator, make it a natural one. Tanks have different smoke levels, players cough when they're bleeding, so give the FOB a visible indicator, not progress bars.
I understand where you're coming from with this, but the amount of work that would need to be done in order for these visual representations to be implemented would be ridiculous, make the game buggy and would not yield that much reward for it. If the game was funded by (for example) EA, then i could see the point in it. But as it is, PR is, and is likely to remain for the most part, a volunteer enterprise.

If a progress were to be implemented, maybe it could go somewhere discreet so as not to impede your screen with things. Perhaps above the sprint bar or somewhere similar so you know its there if you do want to look at it.

Personally, i like the idea of having a changing text bar based on the where along in the construction phase you are.

But with reference to your armour bars and health bars, isn't this where team communication come into it? I always tell the medic when i'm fully healed.

'There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those who can't.'

Gwlad! Gwlad! Pleidiol wyf i'm Gwlad!
MrTomRobs is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
bar, building, fob, progress