project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
18 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 03:57 AM   #31
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member
Default Re: light anti-air cannon?

Been searching for this.

I get annoyed with the futility of AA against attack and trans hueys, on certain maps the attack hueys are a game killer if the Huey pilots are good and your APC's are not so good.

Barracuda - FAV's are too light to last long in the battlefield

Muttrah - because of streets AA must be on a roof, so you get shot out or suppressed even when you have a marksmen or sniper as defence.

Suggestion, have a choice of deployable AA, either manpads as now or a quad or single barrel AA cannon for use on Huey heavy maps. If possible - against the Kiowa/EC/apache (Kashan) it would be too hard for pilot IMO.

Limit it to two (or even one) like the TOW, block the elevation so it can't go low enough to engage infantry, limit ammo to two plus one loaded mags.

I know that we have the quads on Muttrah and Barra but once the attack pilot knows it's manned it becomes his primary target so remove them and make one or two possible single barrel less OPed version deployable?
PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:27 AM   #32
karambaitos

Send a message via MSN to karambaitos Send a message via Skype™ to karambaitos

^i think the bigger problem is the damage a .50cal does to a chopper than the lack of AAA

Guns don't kill people, people kill people, but the gun sure helps.
Last edited by karambaitos; 09-23-2011 at 06:48 AM..
Old 09-23-2011, 05:05 AM   #33
40mmrain
Supporting Member

Yes, I suggested in a thread of mine that the taliban should be able to deploy and build a ZBU in the field if there are maps that gave BLUFOR attack helos or jets.

The solution for keeping it balanced is simple right? restrict the freedom of motion so that the cannon can not be pointed parallel to the ground, but always slightly up.
40mmrain is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:35 AM   #34
lukeyu2005

Another idea would be to. Have a 50cal on a tripod as apposed to a full on ZSU.

It's one of those 50cal at chest height so you are really exposed when you are on it. So you don't want to use it against infantry. Also make it that it doesn't have any zoom. Unlike the HMG. So this can be used against helis as they are pretty big. But as we all know it gets really hard to engage inf without the 50cal zoom.

The 50cal may not as effective as the ZSU but it's ment to make the helicopter go "holy shit i'm out if here" A bit like what most people do with the handheld AA anyway.

Though i guess you can use it against infantry it'll just be like a 50cal nest where the guy is more exposed.
So you are still better off with a 50cal bunker box thing for anti inf

Thoughts?
lukeyu2005 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:07 AM   #35
Draakon
PR Server License Moderator

Ofcourse I will use all or any weapon that is available in my hands to combat enemy ground forces, if the given weapon is effective against the target. Its a sensible thing to do. Even durning WW2, some of the stationary AA was used against enemy infantry (or light armored ground vehicles) because it was that effective.

Just because I can use the (for example) M1 Abrams to shoot any air targets, doesn't mean its OP or something. By using a given asset for another job it wasn't built in mind (AA against INF) means that the area around that asset (and the given asset as well) will be very easy to engage with those assets that couldn't before.
For example, lets say I have the Quad cannon set up around North Bunkers at Kashan. A swarm of enemy infantry are advancing towards North Bunkers. Like almost any sensible person, the AA gunner would open fire on that infantry. Its natural if he does that. Now, that gives the other side a higher change to blow that thing up or move in the area freely.

Either way, its not the weapon that dictates how good or poweful or succesful you are. Its the teamwork, tactics and other factors that dictate how efficent a team is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Qaiex: My solution was to not have twitter. You should try it. Feels good, and I don't miss any information that was worth hearing in the first place, since nothing on twitter ever is.
Draakon is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:44 AM   #36
Sgt.Desert Tiger[TR]

You are talking about using AA against ground targets but answer simple:

You will use everything when its needed and its not important gun desing for what engage.

From ww2(2 cm Flakvierling 38 ) AA cannons used against inf and light armored vehicles too.

I saw ZPU(mostly ZPU-1 and ZPU-2 but rare ZPU-4) mounted technicals.We saw it Libyan pll using it in war too(so you can find more about it when you look at Libya war).Best solution for AA is this I think.

Libyan AA techy(ZPU-1)

Hezbollah AA techy(ZPU-2)

PLO AA techy during Lebonese Civil War(ZPU-4)

Tons of AA techy(every kind of ZPU techy )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last edited by Sgt.Desert Tiger[TR]; 09-23-2011 at 11:00 AM..
Old 09-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #37
lukeyu2005

We need those in PR

- MODERATOR: Removed huge quote. Don't quote huge images when you don't have to. Only do it when they are on a different page from your reply or different topic etc, but not right above your reply...
Last edited by [R-DEV]Rhino; 09-23-2011 at 07:39 AM..
Old 09-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #38
Sgt.Desert Tiger[TR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeyu2005 View Post
We need those in PR
HARDLY NEEDED XD

Sgt.Desert Tiger[TR] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:37 AM   #39
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

The problem with AA guns is that with the shortish view distances of BF2, any air asset that is in view is in perfect range for them, where in r/l, there biggest weakness is range, which is why AA missiles in r/l are so effective as range isn't a huge problem for them and actually gives them more time to home into the target.

As such, a AA gun placed into PR just rips anything that comes into view into shreds as its in perfect range from the start.

We use to have a deployable ZPU-4 for the militia a few versions back and trust me when I say it was way over powered, even against ground targets being by far the best defensive weapon ingame all round. Only thing it struggled with (other than heavily armoured vehicles, aka, tanks, but still had a fighting chance) was fast jets, as it was hard to train the gun on them accurately in time before they went out of the VD but any chopper that came into view and it would just slice though them like butter.

Saying this, you may see some kind of AAA Techie in the future, but if so, in very small numbers and with a huge spawn time. But we won't be doing any kind of deployable AAA, but might do a deployable AA 50cal which can look directly up, but no promises on any of this.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:05 AM   #40
Sgt.Desert Tiger[TR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Saying this, you may see some kind of AAA Techie in the future
Nice one

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
but if so, in very small numbers and with a huge spawn time.But might do a deployable AA 50cal which can look directly up, but no promises on any of this.
Bad one

Sgt.Desert Tiger[TR] is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
antiair, cannon, light