project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
26 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #11
ChiefRyza

Default Re: got a chance to shoot a M249 SAW the other day, my quick feedback.

A bullet travels down when fired only if the barrel is completely horizontal to the surface, however gun sights are configured (zeroed) so that it actually gets the user to point the barrel slightly upwards, causing the bullet to arc upwards ever so slightly, then when the bullet begins to fall and crosses over with the sight's zeroed point it below horizontal and you have to start compensating.

If I'm not mistaken CA did this? But the way tracers work in game make it look completely random so we have to make do with the current system (which is quite OK by me.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current project:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last edited by ChiefRyza; 04-03-2010 at 09:05 PM..
Old 04-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #12
Teek
Supporting Member

It has been said a few times on this fourm in balistics threads that a bullet will rise relative to the line of sight, the line of sight is not parallel to the bullet or the flight path in order to zero it at range.

Teek is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #13
Th3Exiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliesierra-RCR View Post
...a 5.56mm round doesnt drop till after 200meters...
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerrat View Post
Bullets drop as soon as they leave a barrel.
yep, boilerrat is right. A round fired parallel to the ground will drop roughly 24 cm assuming an average horizontal (component) velocity of 900ms^-1.
Proof:
Quote:
note drag is not factored into these equations

s=ut+1/2at^2
Where s is the displacement on the vertical (drop)
u is the initial vertical velocity
t is the time of flight
a is the vertical acceleration

v=Sh/t
where v is the horizontal velocity of the round
Sh is the horizontal displacement
t is the time of flight

Sh=200m
v= 900ms^-1 (roughly how fast the round travels)
u=0ms^-1
a=-g=-9.8ms^-2
t=?
s=?

since v=Sh/t,
t= Sh/v
t= 200/900
t= 0.22s

s=ut+1/2at^2
since u is zero, ut drops off
s=1/2at^2
s=-4.9x0.22^2
s=-4.9x0.0484
s=-0.23716m
s=-23.7 cm
Edit: solid knight, name one bullet that generates lift. Bullets are symmetrical, any force generated from air flowing below the bullet will be countered by an equal but opposite force generated by the top of the bullet. Unless you have a strong wind blowing away from the ground there is no force to counteract gravity.

Exiled.
Last edited by Th3Exiled; 04-03-2010 at 09:14 PM..
Old 04-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #14
Charliesierra-RCR

ok i was mistaken, thanks for explaining it!

what i think i shouldve said was, you wouldnt need to adjust your sights for anything under 200m?
Charliesierra-RCR is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:30 PM   #15
Sgt.Heine

Shooting a 223 is like a bb gun.i was in many military riffle comp shoots and they are like bb guns.
Sgt.Heine is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:06 AM   #16
A-10Warthog
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to A-10Warthog Send a message via MSN to A-10Warthog Send a message via Skype™ to A-10Warthog

which is why i love 223 ahahaha. cheap and fun. and not painful like my M1 Garand and wow did this go way off course.

A-10, EX PR Tester, Moderator, Public Relations.

from [R-DEV]CodeRedFox: "Fixing bugs creates more bugs"
A-10Warthog is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:40 AM   #17
Kim Jong ill

Guys 5.56mm NATO is not .223, try firing 5.56 in a rifle designed for .223 and then post the results.
Kim Jong ill is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:22 AM   #18
Colonelcool125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Jong ill View Post
Guys 5.56mm NATO is not .223, try firing 5.56 in a rifle designed for .223 and then post the results.
And if you look at the OP and not this debate about gravity and anecdotes about people shooting .223, you will see that he did indeed fire a weapon chambered in 5.56x45mm NATO and posted his results.
Colonelcool125 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:19 AM   #19
Kim Jong ill

Was I referring to the OP or was I referring to the discussion at hand? Way to go, do you feel all big now?
Kim Jong ill is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:28 AM   #20
Hunt3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRyza View Post
A bullet travels down when fired only if the barrel is completely horizontal to the surface, however gun sights are configured (zeroed) so that it actually gets the user to point the barrel slightly upwards, causing the bullet to arc upwards ever so slightly, then when the bullet begins to fall and crosses over with the sight's zeroed point it below horizontal and you have to start compensating.

If I'm not mistaken CA did this? But the way tracers work in game make it look completely random so we have to make do with the current system (which is quite OK by me.)
All rounds are tracers and have realistic drop values in CA.

The bullet, once fired, will immediately begin to drop after leaving the barrel. When you zero in the gun, you are angling it up relative to the sights, thus you are zeroing it, and it appears that it is going up before it goes back down, relative to your view.

Anyway, for either realism or gameplay purposes, weapons will be relatively inaccurate in PR, and so that's pretty much that.

Hunt3r is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
chance, day, feedback, m249, quick, shoot