project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
18 Feb 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 04:35 AM   #31
Hunt3r
Default Re: Attack helicopter suggestion, radar AA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Spearhead View Post
As far as I know the LGBs lock on without notifying the player but that's not my area of expertise. Don't want to derail the topic too much but someone who knows more about this topic might shed some light on this.
Can we get someone who does missile/vehicle code to try and make it so that the missile travels in a straight path, and be able to lock onto any lase within it's FOV, and fly into it? I know that AIX has managed to make LOAL Hellfires. They are, surprisingly, flying somewhat realistic flight patterns (ie, they fly up, see the target, and dive into it.)

But that's not really the point here. I'm in favor of having the attack helicopters have a more effective missile system, because currently they really require too much to be just so in order to be effective. All squad leaders have to have perfect lases, and constantly updating and informing the pilot and gunner, when they really should just call it out, and the attack helo should be able to do the rest.

Hunt3r is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #32
Qaiex

Yes that is what I mean.
Right now the attack helo has to do orbital bombardment because it is far too difficult to use when you're moving, and if you're not moving you're a flying glass bottle and just about anything and everything will shoot you down.

So by giving the gunner the ability to set several laze's himself, and removing the guided hellfires and just having lock-ons instead. You make it a lot easier to use the helicopter's weapon systems while still keeping the helicopter moving and removes many of the problems we have now due to the necessity to hover.

Adding the radar AA will encourage flying lower altitudes and will hopefully result in the attack helicopters giving infantry soldiers more CAS with the now unused 30mm cannons.
If necessary it might also be wise to make it a bit more difficult to shoot down attack helicopters, making them a more immediate threat, rather than just a nuisance, which is what they are now.

Qaiex is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #33
Ls4SpeedPilot

i like that suggestion..

Watch this for the ultimate flight experience !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei-pn7PxzZg
Are you without success ? Call an airstrike !
\
....__..../
x________\_(O)_/________x
o o O (.) O o o
Ls4SpeedPilot is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:37 AM   #34
Inca_Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaiex View Post
Yes that is what I mean.
Right now the attack helo has to do orbital bombardment because it is far too difficult to use when you're moving, and if you're not moving you're a flying glass bottle and just about anything and everything will shoot you down.

So by giving the gunner the ability to set several laze's himself, and removing the guided hellfires and just having lock-ons instead. You make it a lot easier to use the helicopter's weapon systems while still keeping the helicopter moving and removes many of the problems we have now due to the necessity to hover.

Adding the radar AA will encourage flying lower altitudes and will hopefully result in the attack helicopters giving infantry soldiers more CAS with the now unused 30mm cannons.
If necessary it might also be wise to make it a bit more difficult to shoot down attack helicopters, making them a more immediate threat, rather than just a nuisance, which is what they are now.
Then helicopters can get destroyed by any and every enemy ground asset? Think about this. A Cas Helicopter wooshes by, guns blazing. What happens to him? Two tanks open fire. An apc fire his tow, misses, and switches to AP rounds. The Tow, being anti-everything, fires at him. The infantry squad on a nearby hill unloads on him for good measure, while their LAT kit takes aim. However, in the end for our poor CAS chopper, he got shot down by a measly .50 cal Humvee/technical/Rover weapon(better known for their anti-helicopter abilities, 50% or more effective than AA.) In the end, the CAS chopper is dead and we have the same problem. Until ground vehicles can't aim their cannons unrealistically, nap of the earth is simply suicide.

Inca_Killa is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #35
PatrickLA_CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChizNizzle View Post
Moar stuff from CA in PR would be appreciated...
I totally agree and support this

PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #36
boilerrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaiex View Post
I would think that could be emulated, the gunner uses secondary fire to put a "laze" on the map and repeats as many times as necessary and then when he fires hellfire missiles, the helicopter shoots as many missiles as there are lazes and they all hit their marks.
Yes, I believe attack gunners can already laze... but its almost impossible with how shaky the screen is.

Also I would like to have more radar things like CA has.

Last edited by boilerrat; 05-13-2010 at 09:50 AM..
Old 05-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #37
Damian(>>>PL

I love this idee.

I'm sick when i see apache flying high, one regular battlefield(kashan, silent eagle) it will not happend in RL. In RL chopers are flying beyond the radar to hide, its the most important for all the chopers(choper can hide all the time, jet can't).

Mabey DEVs can use UAV system from the BF2 if it's not harcoded.

PS. Chopers still can fly high, but then everyone know about them.
PS2. shooting to lazed targets from moving choper isn't difficult, but i agree lazeing from choper dont work like it schould. Mabey if DEVs make lasers to fly witch biger speed() i will work.

War is a game played
with a smile;
if you can`t smile, grin.
If you can`t grin, keep out of the way until you can.
[Winston Churchill]
Last edited by Damian(>>>PL; 05-13-2010 at 11:30 AM..
Old 05-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #38
PatrickLA_CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inca_Killa View Post
And Killa's simple solution:

1.Increase Hellfire engagement range
2.Make lazes able to be fired on from farther away, preferably out of engagement areas of said target

Why?

Because This method is simple, it requires teamwork (lazes) and effective communication or .9 radio usage (lol super hard for most of the PR community) and would also protect the helicopter much nicer, while still being engageable by realistic targets, like jets, other helicopters(for pr this is realistic), or targets near its position.
... And if possible increase pilot's or heli's visual range.

PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #39
PatrickLA_CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerrat View Post
Yes, I believe attack gunners can already laze... but its almost impossible with how shaky the screen is.

Also I would like to have more radar things like CA has.
Shaky?

Maybe you chose the wrong pilot.

EDIT: They aren't shaky but they are unprecise, I mean they are put far away from where you put them even if your pilot is extra steady.

Last edited by PatrickLA_CA; 05-13-2010 at 11:57 AM..
Old 05-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #40
badmojo420
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmer View Post
On theo other hand is so easy taqking out a attack chopepr I mean I can do it with my hands tied to my back using my nose o direct the AA be it man pad or mobile AA kit.
That's like saying sniping is easy. Sure, you're correct, pulling the trigger after pointing the weapon is very easy. Just like pulling the trigger of your M4, AT4, HAT, SAW or whatever weapon is easy once you get it on target.

The hard part, is getting that weapon into a position where it can be fired.

I understand the attack helicopters have their issues in PR. There's no denying that fact, but all this talk about the Anti-air being too overpowered is nonsense. Like has been said, everything is effective against helicopters in PR. Nerfing the AA or complaining about it being too effective is a waste of everyones time, and it's not the answer to fixing the helicopters problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inca_Killa View Post
Think about this. A Cas Helicopter wooshes by, guns blazing. What happens to him? Two tanks open fire. An apc fire his tow, misses, and switches to AP rounds. The Tow, being anti-everything, fires at him. The infantry squad on a nearby hill unloads on him for good measure, while their LAT kit takes aim. However, in the end for our poor CAS chopper, he got shot down by a measly .50 cal Humvee/technical/Rover weapon(better known for their anti-helicopter abilities, 50% or more effective than AA.)
So a CAS helicopter flys straight into the enemy team and all their vehicles, with no backup. And your surprised when it gets shot down? It's not a flying tank FFS, your CAS helicopter should not be on the front of the assault. The S in CAS stands for Support btw.

Also, the .50 cal machine gun has been used as an anti-air weapon for years. (In real life) Saying it's 50% better than anti-air missiles is a bit much, perhaps when the pilot knows how to use his flares. But, my point is that complaining about a .50 cal machine gun shooting down an aircraft, is like saying your pissed because you got killed by the insurgents SKS. They're all weapons designed to destroy human lives, don't underestimate the 50cal just because your in a fancy choppa.
badmojo420 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
attack, helicopter, radar, suggestion