project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
23 Feb 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 01:22 AM   #21
Konfusion2113

Default Re: Attack helicopter suggestion, radar AA.

I was watching this show about the apache, and they say that they work with the friendly inf and tanks and radar as a network, to successfully engage their targets .

Konfusion2113 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:45 AM   #22
Hunt3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemus View Post
An Apache IRL has a radar which helps to find and aquire targets.
But when activated it can be detected by AAs and give away its position.
So the helicopter approaches with stealth,makes a quick scan, aquire targets and fire.

Why not add something similar?
The attack helicopter can find and autolock targets (no need a radar, the "green box" method its fine) but when this feature is activated then the helicopter can be spoted by AA from greater distance than normal.

So the pilot is still depended from ground troops but only for enemy's position.
Flying without intel and searching targets will be a clear suicide.

Not very realistic in term of weapons but realistic enough in term of tactics.
I don't remember an RWR fitted to SHORAD equipment in general...

Hunt3r is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:21 AM   #23
Inca_Killa

And Killa's simple solution:

1.Increase Hellfire engagement range
2.Make lazes able to be fired on from farther away, preferably out of engagement areas of said target

Why?

Because This method is simple, it requires teamwork (lazes) and effective communication or .9 radio usage (lol super hard for most of the PR community) and would also protect the helicopter much nicer, while still being engageable by realistic targets, like jets, other helicopters(for pr this is realistic), or targets near its position.
Inca_Killa is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:59 AM   #24
Spearhead
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via ICQ to Spearhead Send a message via MSN to Spearhead

Well as far as I remember Jane's Longbow (Good old times) attack helicopter tactics involve terrain masking and nap-of-the-earth flying. I am not certain how helicopters operate in Iraq (I would guess that they face less SAM and AAA threats and no air-to-air threats at all). In a conventional conflict I'd assume that they should never act as the orbital bombardment platforms they have become.

I personally would like to see the maximum operational altitude for helicopters cut down drastically.

Speaking about the missiles: If there have not been any major changes to the AH-64 weapons systems in the last 10 or so years they would either need line-of-sight for their FLIR to use their laser-guided Hellfire missile or they would need to paint the target using the longbow radar. As far as I know the engine we can not allow the laser variant to use "lock on after launch" which would be the ideal method to engage targets designated by ground troops. But since we can place map markers targets in PR can still be engaged without exposing the helicopter very much.

Spearhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:14 AM   #25
Burton

Send a message via Skype™ to Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Spearhead View Post
As far as I know the engine we can not allow the laser variant to use "lock on after launch" which would be the ideal method to engage targets designated by ground troops..
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the UGBs dropped by fast air have the capability to find a target if dropped without seeing the laser target.
I'm sure something could be easily coded so that the missile launches flys in a straight line until it finds it's designated laser target, if it doesn't find a target within 3 seconds or so, it tracks up and detonates.
Burton is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:52 AM   #26
Spearhead
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via ICQ to Spearhead Send a message via MSN to Spearhead

As far as I know the LGBs lock on without notifying the player but that's not my area of expertise. Don't want to derail the topic too much but someone who knows more about this topic might shed some light on this.

Spearhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #27
Nemus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt3r View Post
I don't remember an RWR fitted to SHORAD equipment in general...

Do you know how the radar works?
By simple terms it emits energy and then spot objects from the reflection of this energy.
So it can detect energy even from enemy radars and with some calculations can find from where its emited. No need for RWR. The radar by itself is an RWR.

Anyway the idea was to make helicopters depended from ground troops not for the kill but for intel.
You know where is the enemy? You can kill it fast and safe.
You dont know? Then stay somewhere hidden because you are in danger.
Nemus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #28
Inca_Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Spearhead View Post
As far as I know the LGBs lock on without notifying the player but that's not my area of expertise. Don't want to derail the topic too much but someone who knows more about this topic might shed some light on this.

"I got him locked!" It tells you when you lock on with bombs, how else are you supposed to know when to drop?? lol. Unless the spotter is my squad mate, I know its most likely not lazed correctly.

Also, increasing the laze distance might not be the most realistic thing we could do, but its the easiest imho for the devs and would help immensely. for the poor CAS atk helis. :/
Old 03-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #29
Alex6714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inca_Killa View Post
"I got him locked!" It tells you when you lock on with bombs, how else are you supposed to know when to drop?? lol. Unless the spotter is my squad mate, I know its most likely not lazed correctly.
Bombs will lock on their own wherever you drop them almost, you can drop them from 2500m and they will find the target fine. You don´t have to lock before launch and you don´t have to hear the audio cue.

Quote:
Also, increasing the laze distance might not be the most realistic thing we could do, but its the easiest imho for the devs and would help immensely. for the poor CAS atk helis. :/
How can that possibly help. They have to be too close as it is.

"Today's forecast calls for 30mm HE rain with a slight chance of hellfires"

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #30
Inca_Killa

Er, what I meant is that atk helis should be able to lock onto targets from farther away, hopefully beyond visual range.

Tags
attack, helicopter, radar, suggestion