project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
18 Feb 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #11
Inca_Killa

Default Re: Attack helicopter suggestion, radar AA.

Yayyyy more nerf-bat for helicopters. Its already too hard to survive, almost everything and their grandma can take you out, and really its only due to luck or a VERY helpful team that you can ever HOPE to survive.

OR, You can fly high, avoiding being sniped by tanks(its very easy to kill an atk heli with tanks), avoid being hat sniped (more realism for you??), Getting hit by apc fire/APC TOW(they never see it coming) and I havn't even mentioned other atk helis/fixed wing or AA yet, the things they SHOULD be scared of.
Also, despite contrary belief, BVR fire takes lots of coordination between the spotter and his helicopter, and truthfully, can only happen with the spotter being in your squad. Otherwise you most likely won't kill anything. Secondly, Hellfires don't reach very far, so you have to go into the Oh-crap-i'm-going-to-die zone.

Wait, are you going to say you should hit lazes? You should, but there's a catch. Say your sl lazes an AA, you go OK and you enter the area and dive on it, dropped flares as you go (because you have to be within 700m or so to even see the laze) and your dead. What? Apparently AA can zoom in so much that they don't even see flares, and then they proceed to AA-rape you. Yay, twenty minutes wasted to basically an exploit. Thats if you're not dead by all the other threats that exist.
PS: I forgot .50 cals, the biggest threat to helicopters to exist in PR today . AA has nothing on those noob cannons...!
Inca_Killa is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #12
Qaiex

I'm actually saying make the attack helicopters better.
As a pilot I think flying is really fun, but there is no such thing as flying attack helicopters, all you do is hover in the clouds try to keep steady as the gunner shells the ground.

And that is the opposite of fun.

Qaiex is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #13
PuffNStuff

Make it so that the targeting system has to lock on to ground targets (radar puts them on green boxes) then, like AA, it takes some time to lock. Of course, you could override the locking procedure to manual fire. Also, the laze would be insta-lock so that there is an incentive to use it as a pin pointing device.
PuffNStuff is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #14
Alex6714

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaiex View Post
As a pilot I think flying is really fun, but there is no such thing as flying attack helicopters, all you do is hover in the clouds try to keep steady as the gunner shells the ground.

I completely agree with you, while you may have the best intentions the suggestion in the OP would just make things alot worse.

"Today's forecast calls for 30mm HE rain with a slight chance of hellfires"

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #15
Zimmer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaiex View Post

On theo other hand is so easy taqking out a attack chopepr I mean I can do it with my hands tied to my back using my nose o direct the AA be it man pad or mobile AA kit.

I dont say that it shouldnt be the case, but right now the only way to be alive in most maps is the tactic that you are describing therefore I would like to see the targeting system to the attack helis like apache, cobra etc. to get a boost for their hellfire missiles locking after 1-2 seconds aiming regardless of laser targeting.
On the other hand I have always meant that an attack heli should gtfo when its not called upon, and only get into battle when it called upon by either a CAS guy or a squad.

People don't realize that autism doesn't mean they're "stupid". Just socially inept. Like rhino... > > or in a worst case scenario... Wicca. =)- Lithium fox
I found this sentence quite funny and since this is a war game forum I will put it here. No offense to the french just a good laugh.
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion. All you do is leave behind a lot of noisy baggage."
Zimmer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #16
McBumLuv

Step 1: Increase View Distance and create more optimized LODs (on par with the ones of flight sims basically) for maps with potential performance drawbacks
Step 1: Apply changes to said helicopters so that they may use their full arsenal to a more realistic combat efficiency.
Step 1: Implement OP's Suggestion.
Step 1: Drastically increase AA's lethality to open targets, cutting flare effectiveness, and further forcing map-of-the-earth tactics near natural cover (only to those that wish to survive obviously).

Take it or leave it, there is no in between. Helicopters will never be anything more than a ridiculous waste of tickets, manpower and efficiency without it, and unless all the "first" steps are taken at the same time you'll get an even further ridiculous mishmash.

Attack Helicopters are useless atm (ESPECIALLY on Silent Eagle, where the fog colour/distance make engagements against ground targets and those against an obvious black shape in the sky very onesided), and until they get some loving all around, they'll continue that way.

McBumLuv is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #17
Sidewinder Zulu

As it is, attack helicopters are waaayyyy to dependant on ground forces to laze targets for them.
In real life, that' usually how it works, but in PR infantry don't really care about giving attack helos targets because they have other things to worry about.

A system that allows a gunner to quickly and easily target a tank or armored vehicle in the open would be the best solution, IMO.
AA is already ridiculously lethal against helicopters, but when an APC and an Apache go head to head and the APC usually wins, then there's a problem.

The other day, I was in some AA on Kashan when an Apache fired a Hellfire at me, it missed, landed about 50 feet from the vehicle, did some damage, but not that much.
I then turned around and killed the hovering Apache with a single missile, which completely avoided the flares and went right into the helicopter.
Kinda dumb that those things are possible, it feels very arcadey.

The way I think about it, if the AA sees the Apache first, then the AA wins, and if the Apache sees the AA first, it wins. Right now the AA has the upper hand from the beginning.
Sidewinder Zulu is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #18
chrisweb89
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder Zulu View Post
The way I think about it, if the AA sees the Apache first, then the AA wins, and if the Apache sees the AA first, it wins. Right now the AA has the upper hand from the beginning.
And if the attack helo misses its first shot which is easy to do because manual guiding is tricky without a perfect hover which is asking to get killed, then the aa tunrs around and shoots 4 missles into the attack choppers face before the second hellfire reaches the ground.

I agree with the suggestions that you should be able to lock onto an invisible lase that would be on all vehicles if you hold the reticule within 5 degrees of it. I really don't see what the point of reducing the hellfire range so that it is less than a tank's cannon which irl is the complete opposite.
chrisweb89 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #19
Hunt3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisweb89 View Post
And if the attack helo misses its first shot which is easy to do because manual guiding is tricky without a perfect hover which is asking to get killed, then the aa tunrs around and shoots 4 missles into the attack choppers face before the second hellfire reaches the ground.

I agree with the suggestions that you should be able to lock onto an invisible lase that would be on all vehicles if you hold the reticule within 5 degrees of it. I really don't see what the point of reducing the hellfire range so that it is less than a tank's cannon which irl is the complete opposite.
This smacks of weapons that would unbalance a lot of maps...

Hunt3r is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:50 AM   #20
Nemus

An Apache IRL has a radar which helps to find and aquire targets.
But when activated it can be detected by AAs and give away its position.
So the helicopter approaches with stealth,makes a quick scan, aquire targets and fire.

Why not add something similar?
The attack helicopter can find and autolock targets (no need a radar, the "green box" method its fine) but when this feature is activated then the helicopter can be spoted by AA from greater distance than normal.

So the pilot is still depended from ground troops but only for enemy's position.
Flying without intel and searching targets will be a clear suicide.

Not very realistic in term of weapons but realistic enough in term of tactics.
Nemus is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
attack, helicopter, radar, suggestion