project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
21 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
Startrekern

Default MEDIIIC!

Remove the ability to scream 'MEDIC!' when you're dead. In real life, if you're lying on the floor passed out, you seldom have the ability to call for a medic. When you're down, you're SERIOUSLY wounded and wouldn't be able to do that. When you're up and hurt a bit, you can call for a medic using your commrose, but when you're down you shouldn't be able to. This would add realism.

I also suggest a distingushing feature for soldiers on the ground who may still be revived, such as a pool of blood/coughing sound that lasts as long as they're revivable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Startrekern is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:45 PM   #2
gazzthompson

Default Re: MEDIIIC!

mumble FTW , for the second part anyway:

"medic: reviveable?"
"dead guy: nope:
*moves on*
"medic: reviveable?"
"dead guy: yup"
*revives*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

gazzthompson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:21 AM   #3
[R-DEV]Ninja2dan
PR:BF2 Developer

The medic system in PR is not supposed to be taken as directly relational to the individual soldier. Remember that we are using this type of medic system to simulate other factors from real-life combat that are not capable due to game limitations.

In real life, if a soldier is downed but has not lost consciousness he will be capable of calling for aid. Another factor is that soldiers are operating as a squad, and you keep an eye on your battle buddy. If you see one go down, you call for a medic. In fact, the majority of the time in real combat it's a fellow soldier who is calling out "Medic" or "Corpsman" instead of the wounded/incap soldier.

So if you are downed in PR, just imagine that the person calling out Medic is actually the soldier whose life you are assuming upon revive.

[R-DEV]Ninja2dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
Startrekern

Okay:

There are three types of wounded (in PR):
1) "I'm hurt, ow, there's blood coming out, heal me/black and white!"
2) Wounded/Down/Unconscious
3) Dead completely, unrevivable

#1 signifies, in my opinion, fully conscious and able to move and speak
#2 signifies, in my opinion, being unconscious -- thus the Epipen to give you some adrenaline to get you back on your feet
#3 signifies, well, death.

QUICK EDIT:

Why not ACTUALLY have "battle buddies" in PR? I mean, that should be a squad level tactic, not something introduced in the code. They should be the ones screaming 'medic' for their fallen comrades, not the fallen comrades. I don't think the code should accomodate the lack of teamplay/tactics in people, and plus, this would just add a bit more realism; which, after all, is what we're going for, right?

Startrekern is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:15 AM   #5
[R-DEV]Ninja2dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrekern View Post
QUICK EDIT:

Why not ACTUALLY have "battle buddies" in PR? I mean, that should be a squad level tactic, not something introduced in the code. They should be the ones screaming 'medic' for their fallen comrades, not the fallen comrades. I don't think the code should accomodate the lack of teamplay/tactics in people, and plus, this would just add a bit more realism; which, after all, is what we're going for, right?
My point was that in a real squad you're going to have more people than the game currently allows. When a player is "dead" but can be revived, the medic in PR isn't actually reviving them on the spot. The revive system is meant to simulate the process of moving that casualty off the battlefield and the downed player taking over the role of another squad member, one that was previously "invisible" and just following the squad around. This method is therefore capable of simulating more members in the squad than the game-limit of just 6.

So when you are "killed" and a medic revives you, you are basically just taking over the role of a fellow squad member. The medics aren't meant to actually be healing someone using epinephrine. No amount of epi is going to get you back on your feet after a battle wound. Epinephrine is only capable of treating temporary anaphylactic shock or help stabilize a casualty for transport. In fact, the primary use of the Epipen is for those with severe allergies, such as bee stings.

Players should be using the battle buddy system as a tactic anyways, that's part of teamwork. You help cover each other in your squad by covering different sectors of fire, you move as elements to cover each other and provide covering fire during an advance or withdrawal. You can't force a battle-buddy system, but players will learn that not using something similar will lead to frequent respawns.

As for requiring players to yell for a medic to treat a buddy, that's not necessary or in my opinion viable. First off, only the player himself knows the extent of their injuries. They might only need a field dressing, or they might already be bleeding out and losing vision/audio. You can't physically see any injuries on your buddy, so how can you determine what type of care he needs? If the player himself is "alive" he should know his situation, and should call for the medic as necessary. You can already call for a medic without needing one, so if you desire that option feel free.

[R-DEV]Ninja2dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:15 AM   #6
[R-DEV]Thermis

Have to agree with Ninja here. In combat if someone is down someone is going to be screaming medic, or just plain screaming. In PR you need the ability to call for a medic because the general public doesn't want to stay tight nit enough in game to notice when someone goes missing. Plus people will always use TS or VOIP to call for a medic, so if we remove the ability to call via the commorose/deathscreen your hurting players that don't/can't use TS or VOIP.
[R-DEV]Thermis is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
goguapsy

You are able to see if someone is breathing (or trying to breath) or not IRL. A suggestion has been sent before about adding some tool (or modifying the ressucitate tool) so you could only move wounded bodies or distinguish dead bodies from wounded bodies.

Guys, when a new player comes, just answer his question and go on your merry way, instead of going berserk! It's THAT simple!

[/CENTER]
goguapsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
major sharpe

i would usualy if i saw our guy going down, take up his/her position and cover his/her sector, telling the medic where downd SM is , then covering the medic doing their thing, depending on the situation and if initial threat has been eliminated.

One shot, One kill, SH*t !! Tank
major sharpe is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
mediiic