project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
24 Nov 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
sfscriv
Supporting Member

Default Enhancing Our Directions: PR Compass

Newest version on top. The different color directions concept has been replaced by the grey/white bar under NE, NW, SE, SW. The yellow reticle lines would make it easier to see in most cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscriv View Post

This is from a December 2008 post

Communicate
Most everyone in PR uses their microphone. At a minimum, alert your squad of enemy presence by saying “contact.” Follow-up by communicating the direction (compass heading), distance (give an approximate range in meters or just say close, medium range, or far), number of enemy, their activity and a description of their location. Here is an example,

“Contact! Direction 350 degrees, medium range about 150 meters away, two enemy, one of them is a sniper, they have not seen us and they are looking to the North, they are on the roof of the closest building, at the front left corner.”

Here is a shorter version: “Contact! Direction three five zero, 150 meters away, two enemy, one’s a sniper, we’re not detected, they are oriented North, rooftop of closest building, front left corner.”

Even shorter: “Contact! Three five zero. 150 meters away.

Let others get set and gain an understanding of the enemy’s location.
I have personally modified this technique for me since December 2008. One of the things I have found helpful in initially orienting my squad to a threat is to include the basic cardinal direction of the sighting. In this example, it is “Northeast

“Contact! Northeast, direction one five degrees, medium range, two enemy moving toward us, along the side of the building”

Even though color coding cardinal directions does not exist on a real compass, I think it would assist PR gamers in quickly determining the direction they are facing so they could more effectively communicate with their squad members. The top image could be the designations for the directions (not seen in-game) and below is a possible in-game example:

The colors and intensity of the colors could be modified.

The initial post to this thread has been modified to include this update below.

After thinking over the initial proposal and the feedback, I have produced two new versions:

This breaks the 360 degree circle into 22.5 degree sections. This makes the divisions between cardinal directions equal and highlighting:

West, Northwest, North, Northeast
Southwest, South, Southeast, East

The color coding would be semi-transpartant and backdrop: NW, NE, SW, SE

or in the last image all cardinal direction have a darker semi-transparent backdrop and NW, NE, SW, SE have light semi-transparent gray bottom border.
Last edited by sfscriv; 03-11-2013 at 11:48 AM..
Old 10-31-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
sakils2
Banned

Default Re: Enhancing Our Directions: PR Compass

I like it. Good job sfscriv!
sakils2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
dtacs
Supporting Member

Do you mean actually making sectors on the compass with colored font?

That is a very good idea. Simple, yet extremely effective. People would gradually get used to pointing in a 'color' direction.

Genius.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
superhunty123

so you could say like "Enemy Green close!"
superhunty123 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
sfscriv
Supporting Member

You could just call out the color, but that was not the intent. I think it would be better if the an actual cardinal direction was called out to avoid confusion. Eventually, PR fighters would likely associate a color with a direction, but really this is to make it easier to quickly communicate directions.
sfscriv is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
Nimise

I don't see whats wrong with calling out the direction like 195 or 285 its just as easy and more accurate.
Nimise is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
Wags

Send a message via Skype™ to Wags

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscriv View Post
“Contact! Northeast, direction one five degrees, medium range, two enemy moving toward us, along the side of the building”

That's how I typically do things, but what I usually says is something like: "Contact, foot mobile, North, 100 meters, running down the street."

I think your color idea is great though. I would like to see it in PR sometime.
Wags is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:36 PM   #8
superhunty123

Plus it would make teaching people about PR much easier. beginners find some one shouting "187 degrees 200 meters" surprisingly dificult to find whereas with this you could just say "Green" and they wouldnt think you were a wierdo!
superhunty123 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:40 PM   #9
[R-DEV]AfterDune
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

What's easier than 0 - 360? Everybody knows what it means and what you're talking about. And if they don't, they'll get it in 5 seconds .

But that's just my personal opinion .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]AfterDune is online now Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
Jonny
PR Server License Moderator

5 seconds can get you killed, AD. Thats the problem with it.

I think this is a good idea, it would help you know when you are facing the correct direction a lot qicker than reading the letters does.
Jonny is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
compass, directions, enhancing