project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
29 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 07:33 PM   #21
Sabre_tooth_tigger

Default Re: Enhancing Our Directions: PR Compass

almost stunned by into silence by that picture of awesome, could use a medallion though

Quote:
View Post
It's okay when your really close to your teammates and the enemy you call out is far away but I hate it when people use this kind of system when they not even close to there squad mates or the enemy is nearby.

In that case call out the enemy relative to squad leader or if the squad is completely separate use a landmark and call the compass direction from that, then individual positions matter less

The 360 degree thing is for vehicles, a squad that tight would get wiped by a grenade

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sabre_tooth_tigger is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:38 PM   #22
l|Bubba|l

@[R-DEV]AfterDune
It was more like a general rant about people that only use the degree system to point something out and doesn't consider the situation of there teammates.

I wouldn't use the suggested system to report something but it would help to notice your own rough direction even when you not really looking at the compass.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre_tooth_tigger View Post
In that case call out the enemy relative to squad leader or if the squad is completely separate use a landmark and call the compass direction from that, then individual positions matter less

The 360 degree thing is for vehicles, a squad that tight would get wiped by a grenade
I do that, I even speak to individual squad-members to point at something from there position but I wouldn't use the degree system for this kind of situation.
1: Most people are not that used to this system and it takes some time for them to search for the specific degree.
2: When you tell them the degrees from something that is not at there position they will not get it without a helping compass on the map that shows them the degrees.
3: You can't point out that accurate on other objects on the map. Your teammates would think that you really now the precise degree and wouldn't check the area around it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last edited by l|Bubba|l; 10-31-2009 at 10:00 PM..
Old 10-31-2009, 09:58 PM   #23
Celestial1

I'd rather see the compass only viewable when the map is open.

Degrees are far too much trouble to find, whereas I can easily find N/E/S/W in a splitsecond. Worse off is when they call degrees at shorter ranges, especially after the enemy is already firing.

Give me a cardinal first, then worry about degrees.
Celestial1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:35 PM   #24
[R-MOD]Jigsaw
Forum Moderator

I'd rather the compass were removed to be replaced by something that you bring up by pressing a key like in Arma 2. Much more realistic. Or set up as a weapon slot so you actually have to select a different weapon to look at your compass.

Cannot see the need for anything like this, what is so difficult about saying N/S/E/W etc and then following that with a more precise bearing?

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end... "
[R-MOD]Jigsaw is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:42 PM   #25
Conman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
Cannot see the need for anything like this, what is so difficult about saying N/S/E/W etc and then following that with a more precise bearing?
yea i just think its redundant

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Mark Twain

Conman51 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:00 AM   #26
galeknight1

Quote:
I'd rather the compass were removed to be replaced by something that you bring up by pressing a key like in Arma 2. Much more realistic. Or set up as a weapon slot so you actually have to select a different weapon to look at your compass.
Well, the compass is a replacement for the fact that you can't point and say 'over there!'. But I believe that this suggestion would be a little bit of an immersion breaker...
galeknight1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:17 AM   #27
Wilkinson

Send a message via AIM to Wilkinson Send a message via MSN to Wilkinson Send a message via Skype™ to Wilkinson

Quote:

LOVE IT.

my new Coding project

Wilkinson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:36 AM   #28
TempesT
Supporting Member

Quote:
People get confused with bearings alot. While it isn't difficult, neither is this simple solution. People will learn directions through colours. I think it is a really neat idea. My only criticism would be to differentiate the Orange and Yellow, they seem to similar.Perhaps red?
TempesT is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:27 AM   #29
Nick_Gunar

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AfterDune View Post
What's easier than 0 - 360? Everybody knows what it means and what you're talking about. And if they don't, they'll get it in 5 seconds .

But that's just my personal opinion .
Same thing here, using compass to point out directions is uber realistic and it is a total immersion to squad tactics.
Also, not all the members have the same directions in compass if they aren't all lined up (thus a bit scattered) and they have to adjust it with their own compass (and loosing time anyway).
What I do is if it is within a 100-meter-range : "contact, 200, East" and I supress the guy(s) to let the time for my squadies to spot the enemy. If it is above 150 meters you warn "ba bla bla" in that case either you get spotted (and perhaps fall back) or not.

In my opinion, don't change, just fine as it is.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities... It is best to win without fighting.
Nick_Gunar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:36 AM   #30
stiankir

should be implemented, but I doubt it happens

Winners never quit, quitters never win
stiankir is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
compass, directions, enhancing