project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
23 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
Redamare
Supporting Member

Post Re-Create Albasrah :)

Alright ... so Albasrah one of PRs most known maps its been around since version .6 and is still one of every ones favorite maps. looking at the map you would say its a perfect balance. just enough city just enough rural just enough desert etc... but i think its time some one made a albasrah facelift to incoorporate it into the new fighting styles of pr .9 and above. In one of my posts about new buildings one of the devs said something about replacing buldings in older maps they could be talking about albasrah and i hope thats what he meant . becasue here are some small ideas that could be added to a new albasrah map.

NEW OVER PASS From (AF)
Instead of just having a high way elevated by dirt on the south side of the map .... add an over pass such as this. and create a new improved highway extending all the way to Albasrah Bridge.

Recreate albasrahs Oil refinery district.. give it more port stations and docks.. keep the basic lay out of the old albasrah since it is pure jenious but add a little something something to the design.

now .... take a look at this picture and tell me that those buildings dont look like PR objects orginized in different building constructs :P lol ( make more objective areas )

City scapes of albasrah.... IDEAS

al-Ashar Canal in Basrah

Give some Feedback please

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Redamare is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
rampo

Send a message via MSN to rampo
Default Re: Re-Create Albasrah :)

new basrah again? :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rampo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
AquaticPenguin

Really my only gripe with al basrah is how the city doesn't really merge with the rest of the map, I've had some good fights on that map but there just doesn't seem to be any transition between the districts. Also the airbase feels like it's too close to the city and detracts from the realism. With the removal of the helis I think it would be better off as a small compound along a road (ala fallujah - the base has a very nice shape) to give a better feeling of scale. Overall I think al basrah's not up to current PR map standards, those are just my thoughts on the map to add to your ideas.

Generally the idea is if you want something mapping, you do it yourself. Because mapping takes a lot of work and time which most people don't have... But who knows, maybe you'll inspire someone.
AquaticPenguin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
duckhunt
Retired PR Developer

it was my first pr map, released with pr .4

I know compared to fallujah its shit, but as we as a map team develop our skillz, its impossible to go back over every old map to 'upgrade' it.

Your basically suggesting a whole new map here, with all new statics. Fair enough mate but come on now, think about the workloads!

I beleive DrRank is touching it up with more enterables to improve cache locations, but ofcourse he has Sangin to work on aswell.

I am always open to map ideas, and in the future of pr there will be better iraqi maps than anything current, with all new pretty buildings and realistic streets.

AquaticPenguin, your last point reference DIY is very true thankyou, but how can you say the airbase is too close to the city when they are on opposite sides of a 2km map. You say its not up to pr standards, well consult post #4 para 2 of this thread.

good stuff to come, just with different names.
duckhunt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
arjan

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]duckhunt View Post

I beleive DrRank is touching it up with more enterables to improve cache locations, but ofcourse he has Sangin to work on aswell.
Sangin first

Ingame name: [TP]A.Behr
arjan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
Herbiie

Tbh I do think Al Basrah is due a major over haul - with Sangin coming out there's going to be a larger interest in British Insurgency maps - al basrah is a great map but is already starting to show it's age. A face lift to perhaps recreate the centre with a new layout and a better Oil Industry centre which would be unique to Al Basrah (Fighting on that oil platform = Epic CQC)

As for the DIY stuff - do you think maybe there's a reason there's separate forums for suggestions and Community modding? If he wanted to make his own map he would of posted it there - as it is he thinks the Al Basrah map is old and needs re doing (I agree) - no where does he say he has the time/skill/programmes to create his own map. Jebus we're not all modders and amazing Map Makers.

Herbiie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
[R-DEV]Rudd
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
If he wanted to make his own map he would of posted it there - as it is he thinks the Al Basrah map is old and needs re doing (I agree) - no where does he say he has the time/skill/programmes to create his own map. Jebus we're not all modders and amazing Map Makers.
yeah, but its not ref photos the DEVs need, its suggestions from people who have at least tried the editor and therefore have an idea of the realitys of mapping, or people willing to modify stuff themselves.

for example, that oil refinery thing could probably be done in a not so fantastic way using current statics found on Operation Barracuda (the docks area) and Muttrah. BUT! if you actually look at the map files in the editor, and look how mappers did what, it doesn't look as easy as it sounds imo. Or at least its tedious and time consuming.

For now Basrah's main concern imo is the enterables which are being dealt with, next up is the land bridges, next up is the lack of vegitation around water sources, undergrowth required, next up is a remake of the layers imo.

[R-DEV]Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
Herbiie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr2B Rudd View Post
yeah, but its not ref photos the DEVs need, its suggestions from people who have at least tried the editor and therefore have an idea of the realitys of mapping, or people willing to modify stuff themselves.
Well why not - I have a slight experience of modding - and tbh I thought most thigns were taken from ref photos... What if the OP can't do it at all? But he knows Devs can do pretty much w.e they want with a map because we've seen such amazing things?

I think this is a v. good idea for v1.0 and it could be released as a new map - think of it as a new map and not revamping the old Al Basrah (which is starting to show it's age as I said).

Herbiie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:21 PM   #9
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

If you build it they will play....

"apcs, like dogs can't look up" - Dr2B Rudd
CodeRedFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
drs79
Supporting Member

Also If we put in some toll booths we could call it "The Newark New Jersey of the Middle East."

(I don't mean to rant on Jersey, Newark is actually going through somewhat of a facelift/transition)
drs79 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
albasrah, recreate