project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
23 Aug 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #61
Hunt3r
Default Re: Attack Helicopters and Tanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS_117 View Post
When CAS stops being lazy pos...

Right now I'm just 1.5ifying CA. I believe we're on 0.998 so far. But frankly University has priority. And all CA people are in University so... you get the idea.
Aha. Well, that's alright. Just wanting to see how CA would play. Of course, University always has priority.

YouTube - DCS Black Shark - Basic Startup[HD]

This kind of detail in PR 2 would make helicoptering.... simply stunning. The sheer amount of buttons would keep people who don't know what they're doing from ever taking off.

Of course, the AH-64D wouldn't be able to be modeled, since the flight manual is classified...

But seeing the AH-64A, the Mi-28 (if there's an English flight manual for it..), and the AH-1Z Cobra (Again, if you can find a flight manual...), and having this level of detail would make PR2...

Well study sims would be pointless. PR2 would have a study sim and you have human players shooting at you.

I'm somewhat hoping the C4 engine can achieve this sort of thing. Preferably with Havok or another physics engine that can do real time physics calculations for things like flight.

My take on PR2 is that the infantry aspect should stay like it is in PR, except maybe with better models, possibly very limited free aim, and more realistic weapon handling.

But PR2 should be a complete revamp for vehicles. Sure, you can jump right into the helicopter without ever learning the weapons systems or how to actually start the engines, but after 5 minutes your co-pilot will get pissed when you can't even locate the master arm for the weapons.

Basically, PR2 would have the training servers be used far more. Train on whatever you intend to fly until you can memorise all the functions and buttons of the aircraft, train on armor until you can lase and fire on a target within seconds. Train in a Cobra until you can start it up within 30 seconds and your gunner can start shooting as soon as you take off.

Basically, training would be a must to operate effectively in the more advanced vehicles. A HMMW wouldn't be hard at all, operating something like a 50 cal or M19 wouldn't be either.

But back to PR. For now, I think that porting the CA code for attack helicopter gunning would be ideal for now. For PR1 improvements to that system would be more then enough.

As a self admitted flyboy, I'd like to see that the aircraft be more of a simulator then an arcade type deal. The people who fly tend to be the kind of people who like to press buttons and whatnot. Also, flight physics in BF2 are almost comical, which I hope is to be changed in PR2.

But PR2 I'm hoping, focuses on getting the infantry and armor aspects working first, before moving up to aircraft, since as far as I understand, the flight aspect in PR2 will most likely require major coding and modification, since proper flight requires some special features in the engine which aren't in the C4 engine, which means that the devs will have to code this alone for find a phys engine that will do it for them.

Yes, that was a wall of text. For those who don't want to read it, basically I want the lock on system for now in PR, and PR2 to have tanks and aircraft to be almost completely simulated.

So the devs may or may not be discussing this, but I'd just like to know if it's even possible to do accurate flight dynamics for PR2 with Middleware or from scratch.
Last edited by Hunt3r; 09-13-2009 at 06:14 PM..
Old 09-14-2009, 01:41 AM   #62
Hunt3r

Speaking of which, a hit that disables the rudder should make the plane spin out of control.

The tail rotor adjusts blade pitch to act as a rudder.

Speaking of which it would be quite cool to see a helo spin out of control. I know it can be done, but it's only happened to me once, ever.
Hunt3r is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:29 AM   #63
CAS_117

Spinning only works on local.
CAS_117 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:50 AM   #64
Hunt3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS_117 View Post
Spinning only works on local.
No way to say that if a hit disables rudder, you spin out?

Or if you're at the point where you no longer have control of your rudder, you also spin out?

Or we could say that the explosion destroyed the linkage for the anti-torque pedals, but the tail rotor is still working, but about to seize up like the rest of the plane.
Hunt3r is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #65
Sparatan117

Send a message via MSN to Sparatan117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman.2.5 View Post
The AH-64D on PR for some reason has a longbow on with with a full weapons load which IMO should be removed off the model, Which is not very frequent as the US Apache does not have the power to operate for a length of time and have both a full weapon load and the longbow where as the British Apache's power pack can handle both.

ROFL omg where do you get that? We sell the Apache to the british. Please if you feel the need to doubt me, look up the General Electric 701-C.

Oh and for the record, those engines the apache has share the power ratio at 50/50. If one goes down (0/100) then it still can get back to base with no problem.

It can carry 1200 rounds if and only if it has the ammunition box installed instead of the robby tank. If the robby tank is installed then its only 900, which is still more than enough because the shells are HE. In RL each one of those bullets hitting the ground is like a small RPG, thus the Hydras (as you call them, 75mm as we call them) are not used often. The hellfire missiles are fire and forget. The FCR locks on to the targets automatically and rates them on threat level. The only thing that it prompts you for (missile wise) is [Fire?]. The 30mm is another story, that is controlled by where the pilot is looking. 90% of the time that's the only weapon we really need.

Fixed air takes out all anti air in the area and then the apache comes in to mop up.

Another thing on Anti Air. unless you are a complete video game nut and believe everything that goes into the video game, you will have realized that iraqi's ARE A 3RD WORLD COUNTRY. They only have stingers and those never hit their target thanks to the fact that the apache launches flares as soon as it detects the missile launch. The only thing you should have to go after it is an unguided missile launch or a wire guided RPG which took down 3 apaches in Iraq after resistance was hiding outside the wire of the FOB. Since then patrols go out before birds take off.

IMO I completely agree that you should be able to lock on with a hellfire and have a definite kill, with how much AA there is at the moment it would help out, but seeing as most maps focus on mostly boots on ground and not massive tank wars, this wouldn't be that much of a problem.

Quote:
No way to say that if a hit disables rudder, you spin out?

Or if you're at the point where you no longer have control of your rudder, you also spin out?

Or we could say that the explosion destroyed the linkage for the anti-torque pedals, but the tail rotor is still working, but about to seize up like the rest of the plane.
if you maintain 23 knots forward, you will be able to sustain perfect forward flight without a T/R
Sparatan117 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #66
Sparatan117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt3r View Post
Of course, the AH-64D wouldn't be able to be modeled, since the flight manual is classified...
I'll give you a hint, theres 3 main buttons and two switches (one is for battery the other i cant tell you ). APU, ENG01 & ENG02 ...figure out what order to press them in

this is a great video of what start up is like for the apache and my seal of approval that its accurate, although they didn't apply the rotor break while the engines were coming online so the rotors begin to idle spin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-BaW...eature=related
Last edited by Sparatan117; 09-14-2009 at 03:43 PM..
Old 09-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #67
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Masaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparatan117 View Post
ROFL omg where do you get that? We sell the Apache to the british. Please if you feel the need to doubt me, look up the General Electric 701-C.
Surely any one with genuine bona fides as working with the AH-64 would know that the Apaches flown by the British Army are the Augusta Westland version; license-built by AW?

What's more, surely they'd know that the AW Apaches are powered by Rolls-Royce engines (the RTM332) that output 2,100hp each - whereas even the 64D Block III Apache only outputs 2,000hp per engine; the 701-C on the Block II produces 1,890.

So yes, the WAH-64 has a more powerful powerplant than the AH-64. Fact

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Masaq is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #68
Sparatan117

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Masaq View Post
Surely any one with genuine bona fides as working with the AH-64 would know that the Apaches flown by the British Army are the Augusta Westland version; license-built by AW?

What's more, surely they'd know that the AW Apaches are powered by Rolls-Royce engines (the RTM332) that output 2,100hp each - whereas even the 64D Block III Apache only outputs 2,000hp per engine; the 701-C on the Block II produces 1,890.

So yes, the WAH-64 has a more powerful powerplant than the AH-64. Fact
have a cookie, and tell me just what do you plan on doing with that extra power? we have plenty and can still carry a full load of armament, the frame isn't built to tow so its like the guy that says oh my computers better, well it may be but theres still the limitations of the software that runs on that computer. Ffor your information, No I didn't know that, but (keeping on topic) what he stated was that it didn't have enough power to carry a full load and that was very much incorrect. Boeing makes the AH 64 and they wont be giving up the copyrights anytime soon. Now Augusta Westland may be a branch of Boeing but no one to my knowledge has the ability to build a different version helicopter (other than in this case putting in a different powerplant due to the fact that the RR engine is more abundant over there). The 701-C runs most things in the military (ex. Blackhawks, Apaches, M1A2 Abrams, etc..) and thus they like it more when they can train one guy to fix all forms of that engine so I highly doubt we'll be changing anytime soon. But case in point if Boeing is an American company, and AW is still under them, then isn't Britain still buying them from the US? hmmm

oh and that link it states that the turbo shaft produces: maximum continuous and 1,447 kW (1,940 shp) ...thats shaft horse power for all you non engine people. Basically saying it has 160 more horse power....oh geez lets open the champagne [rolls eyes]
Sparatan117 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #69
Eddie Baker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Masaq View Post
Not quite license built, Mas. They come to AW in a kit and are assembled there along with the non US spec parts. So, it's more like "license assembled" or "custom tuned."
Eddie Baker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #70
Scot
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Scot

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Eddie Baker View Post
Not quite license built, Mas. They come to AW in a kit and are assembled there along with the non US spec parts. So, it's more like "license assembled" or "custom tuned."
So the Brit Apache is the Chavvy version of the US one

Scot is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
attack, helicopters, tanks