project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
30 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
goguapsy

Default Offset Aim/Bullet

I searched the forum the word "offset" and didn't find anything relevant. So here I go (I know it was suggested before BUT...):

Bullets should come out of the barrel.
That isn't impossible I think. Get a LB or Attack Huey and shoot. Tell me if the bullets/missiles come from the center of the screen. NO!

Why don't you make it with infantry then?!

NOW, if this vehicle specific (which might be...) why don't you make kits some kind of vehicle that you can use to get into other vehicles... if you know what I mean.

SO, DEVs, is that possible?

Cheers!

Guys, when a new player comes, just answer his question and go on your merry way, instead of going berserk! It's THAT simple!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/CENTER]
goguapsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:48 AM   #2
shribey22

Default Re: Offset Aim/Bullet

so i think you are saying that you want your bullets to shoot from the side in the 'rest' mode (when you're not aiming into ironsights/scope)? Is that necessary? I personally want my bullets to shoot towards the middle so I at least have some idea of where my bullets are going when im not staring down my sights...

plus making infantry vehicles i think???? that last part was confusing...
shribey22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:19 AM   #3
Celestial1

Quote:
Originally Posted by goguapsy View Post
if this vehicle specific (which might be...) why don't you make kits some kind of vehicle that you can use to get into other vehicles... if you know what I mean.
No. Infantry kits made into vehicles would mean that you would have to 'drop' your kit to get into a vehicle, not to mention everything else it would make unnecessarily complicated.

Quote:
Why don't you make it with infantry then?!
Because... there's no real reason to.

If the gun fires from the actual barrel, then the bullet is only going to be offset by a relatively small distance. And that's only when you are firing from the shoulder, instead of sighting in and firing, because the sights are calibrated for where the bullet will actually land anyway.

This small distance changes just about nothing due to the fact that it would only really affect anything at close quarters when you aren't sighted in, and the bullet would only land around 6 inches down and right from the center of your screen at point blank (and would become slightly less apparent the farther away you are, but still it doesn't have much of an effect).

When sighting in, the only effect that this would have whatsoever is that it would make it so that the barrel of the gun would actually have to be above the object you are shooting over. Which, since most of the objects in PR are pretty much normalized to be lower than whatever stance you can still see over with, there's no real point to it either.
Celestial1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
goguapsy

OK, here is the thing. Bullet drop and offset bullet are a major thing in engagements at 100m+ in ARMA 2. I believe PR would have no problem dealing with this.

btw forget about the infantry vehicle... just something that crossed my mind hehe

Guys, when a new player comes, just answer his question and go on your merry way, instead of going berserk! It's THAT simple!

[/CENTER]
goguapsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
Jonny
PR Server License Moderator

It would make no difference in PR due to the shite ballistics.

It is possible, I have done it, but without proper ballistics with it its pointless.
Jonny is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
AquaticPenguin

I think it would be nice to have it, and make it feel a little more real if coupled with more realistic ballistics (ala CAS mod + all tracers)... It would just be a nice finishing touch and a minor thing which would overall just make the mod feel more tidied up and finished. Although I don't imagine it being high up at all on the priorities. Just curious, how difficult is it to do? I imagine either the scopes/animations/initial bullet direction(and where the bullets come from) would have to be tweaked so that the zero point was aligned.

edit: I always find this a problem with l4d, aiming just about the zombies heads will always miss despite the fact that I am supposedly firing from the hip :/ (not quite the same thing but close enough ^_^ )
AquaticPenguin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
[R-DEV]Rudd
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

if it comes out of the end of the barrel I suspect people could fire through walls that ordiarily wouldn't be penetrable.

[R-DEV]Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
Jonny
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticPenguin View Post
Just curious, how difficult is it to do? I imagine either the scopes/animations/initial bullet direction(and where the bullets come from) would have to be tweaked so that the zero point was aligned.
It involves re making all the animations because they are all about .5 degrees out.
Jonny is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
waldo_ii

This would be futile because the camera in first person doesn't correlate with the third person model. That is why there are always two animations for every movement- first person animations and third person animations. You cannot use the third person animation for first person animations. The third person animation for, say, sighting in, brings the weapon up to eye-level. The first person animation brings it only to the center of the screen. The player camera isn't in the right-eye of the third person model, it is closer to the center of the neck or chest.

The bullet might look like it is coming out of the barrel in first person, but in third person it looks like it is coming from the person's junk. It wouldn't be right.

|TGXV| Waldo_II

waldo_ii is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:58 PM   #10
AquaticPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
It involves re making all the animations because they are all about .5 degrees out.
hmm, thinking about it I think you'd just* need to change the initial position and direction of the bullet since the 1p animation line up with the screen center. The models wouldn't quite be right but .5 degrees wouldn't be noticeable.

*well not "just" but you get the idea.

I don't think OP is suggesting to align the 1p and 3p animations, I think he's suggesting that the bullets actually appear to come out of the barrel in 3p (as I believe they do currently) as well as in 1p view rather than appear out of the screen center.. But adjusting the bullet so that it angles up slightly it could appear to be zeroed at 300m for example.

If it can come out of the end of the barrel I'm sure it can come from the inside of the barrel and therefore you wouldn't have problems with the bullet intersecting objects directly in front.

Please highlight anything if you think i'm being stupid and have failed to grasp any concepts.
AquaticPenguin is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
aim or bullet, offset