project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
29 Aug 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 01:51 AM   #1
llPANCHOll
PR Beta Testing Team Member

Default Curtains or Obscured views on windows

On urban maps, you can easily see in most every window, where in real life it is much harder to see in windows than to see out of them. I realize that some buildings have a few shuttered windows, but I think that some additional effort put into drapery or partially obscured/boarded up windows where it was easy to see out yet not so easy to see in from a distance would provide insurgents with a more realistic abillity to set ambushes and lay in wait for bluefor forces. These could be coded so that projectiles still penetrate so that suppressive fire would still be effective.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
llPANCHOll is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:05 AM   #2
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

Default Re: Curtains or Obscured views on windows

me like, i've figured the devs would eventually get around to it as it wouldnt really be that hard, although would require model changes for many buildings. This would also probably be low on the to do list for the devs.

and yeah i've always liked ambushing from windows regardless of being what faction, it's just friggin effective if you do it right, curtains would really help.
Bringerof_D is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:50 AM   #3
billdan

great idea im in China right now visiting several cities and I can't stop thinking about urban warfare and PR, all those dark windows on those high rise apartments...

|TG-69th|Mix0lydian in-game
billdan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:23 AM   #4
llPANCHOll

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdan View Post
great idea im in China right now visiting several cities and I can't stop thinking about urban warfare and PR, all those dark windows on those high rise apartments...
China Mix?? Wow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
Mary.au

Very nice suggestion. Would love to see this implemented.

Only downside would be the allies taking control of a building, and using it in conjunction with scoped rifles. Still cool though.
Mary.au is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

ye, not a bad idea, might look into it.

The main problems I see is that with things like boraded up windows, blinds and even curtians, there is only small slits to be able to look at. Now in r/l its really easy to look out of these since you can bend down very slgithly or lean a little to the left or right. Ingame thou, you can not bend down very slightly, you only have stand, crouch and prone and rotating your head and that's it.

As such, if you had to peak out of a small split between 2 boards then you could see maybe a little bit down from you, but you couldn't see anything below or above that, and if you went to crouch or prone and looked though it you would just be looking into the sky.

As such, would probaly not be that effective.

Curtians with a little slit in the middle thou all the way down that you could peak though on the other hand would be a little more workable for the player since you would be able to see fully up and down and would just need to side step left or right a little to adjust your view.

But ye, many of our ME apartment buildings like the ones found on muttrah really need some interiors as that part was in the planning process and I simply ran out of time to do it (with many other things too) and I am planning a muttrah 2.5 (the same muttrah with added detail basically) at some point but that's just in the planning process right now, and has been since muttrah 2 was released

So once I get onto muttrah 2.5 one of the things I will be looking into is making interior statics for the ME apartment buildings and with that might come Curtains

[R-DEV]Rhino is online now Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
IAJTHOMAS

Some inspiration for you.

IAJTHOMAS is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:03 PM   #8
llPANCHOll

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
ye, not a bad idea, might look into it.

The main problems I see is that with things like boraded up windows, blinds and even curtians, there is only small slits to be able to look at. Now in r/l its really easy to look out of these since you can bend down very slgithly or lean a little to the left or right. Ingame thou, you can not bend down very slightly, you only have stand, crouch and prone and rotating your head and that's it.

As such, if you had to peak out of a small split between 2 boards then you could see maybe a little bit down from you, but you couldn't see anything below or above that, and if you went to crouch or prone and looked though it you would just be looking into the sky.

As such, would probaly not be that effective.

Curtians with a little slit in the middle thou all the way down that you could peak though on the other hand would be a little more workable for the player since you would be able to see fully up and down and would just need to side step left or right a little to adjust your view.

But ye, many of our ME apartment buildings like the ones found on muttrah really need some interiors as that part was in the planning process and I simply ran out of time to do it (with many other things too) and I am planning a muttrah 2.5 (the same muttrah with added detail basically) at some point but that's just in the planning process right now, and has been since muttrah 2 was released

So once I get onto muttrah 2.5 one of the things I will be looking into is making interior statics for the ME apartment buildings and with that might come Curtains
Thanks for the response...

If you look at the mosque on Muttrah 2, I think alot of the work has been done.. I understand that making these objects is not just an afternoons work. Each side of the window can have a diffrent texture right?? And the outside could have a texture that is less transperant than the inside texture.. If Im not mistaken this is allready so on the Mosque?? Anyhow, I realize that drawing these textures at distance is another monster in itself as well. But if the transperant type textures like the ones shown were also minus the collision mesh it could add another dimension to the game. Taking fire from a building and not knowing instantly which window it was coming from.

Anyhow I appreciate all your work, and look forward to whatever changes are made in the future.

*** when I originally thought of this, I was thinking more in terms of insurgency maps, to add another dimension regarding how the insurgents can just appear out of the crowd and then melt back into it, and minus alot of civie bots walking around the urban center, this is very difficult to do.***

Old 07-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llPANCHOll View Post
And the outside could have a texture that is less transperant than the inside texture.. If Im not mistaken this is allready so on the Mosque??

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...creen000-1.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...creen001-1.jpg
na its just the fact that the inside of the mosque is darker than the outside, making it easier to see out of the window and harder to see in, like r/l.

[R-DEV]Rhino is online now Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
billdan

hmm so people with shadows off would have no problem seeing someone standing way back inside the mosque from the outside through the windows?

|TG-69th|Mix0lydian in-game
billdan is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
curtains, obscured, views, windows