project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
02 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 08:14 AM   #31
Hitman.2.5
Default Re: Air burst shells in tanks

Isnt the BF2142 engine slightly different to the BF2 engine?

Derpist
Hitman.2.5 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:28 AM   #32
[R-CON]Tomato-Rifle
PR:BF2 Contributor

Send a message via MSN to [R-CON]Tomato-Rifle Send a message via Skype™ to [R-CON]Tomato-Rifle

I think there is no need, just fix the hitboxes of the helis so when you shoot it with heat/sabot round it actually blows up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-CON]Tomato-Rifle is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #33
StuTika

You're kidding, right?

It's already far too easy to down choppers with the tank main gun. I'm far from a PR veteran, but on Kashan as MEC yesterday I shot down an Apache, a Blackhawk and a little bird in about 10 minutes.

IRL, the Apache would have blown me to kingdom come before I was even able to open fire.

Stu.
StuTika is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #34
badmojo420
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @bsurd View Post
And with the new system of lets say an ah 64 D Longbow there is nothing were you can hide with your tank! Some sattelite pictures, some UAV and stuff like that check the ground b4 the troops get in!

So IRL you were be spotted b4 the chopper lifts of....
So if a tank is sitting inside a bunker, completely covered. Under say 5 ft of reinforced concrete, with the engines off and cooled. Your telling me the apache has systems to detect that tank inside in a bunker? And theres no way that tank could start up and roll out the door 10 ft and fire a shot off before the apache destroys them?

Don't get me wrong. I'm all fore the attack choppers getting vehicle detection systems. But lets keep things realistic here. No system can automatically detect every vehicle in a radius 'no matter what'. They need a line of sight, or large heat source, etc.

I get the feeling that because of the current conflicts with insurgent forces, in which attack helicopters are flying with very little opposition, people are getting the idea that attack helicopters are some almighty force that could never be hit by AA or shot out of the sky by a tank, or anything. With all their advanced systems and whatnot, the pilot just has to fly around and everything will be dealt with by some computer.

But imagine WW3 broke out tomarrow, and China decided to invade the USA. Do you think they are going to allow UAVs or a couple recon soldiers to get within viewing distance of their tanks? Do you think they'll keep them all nice and grouped together out in the open just waiting for the helicopters to come by and destroy their entire force?
badmojo420 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #35
Alex6714

Lets think about the video you posted earlier.

1) In the video is a lynx, armed with TOW missiles. That doesn´t compare to an Apache longbow with hellfires (which have double the range).

2) If anything that video reinforces our point. Despite being in range, despite having the element of surprise and despite having airburst the tank still couldn´t shoot the lynx down, and when the lynx found out where the tank was, it was very quickly killed while on the move.

Now try that with an Apache, with radar, hellfires and all sorts of goodies.

Now try the same in a PR situation.

"Today's forecast calls for 30mm HE rain with a slight chance of hellfires"

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #36
badmojo420
Supporting Member

Firing a tank round or even an air burst round at a moving helicopter is/would be very difficult in PR. Helicopters are usually shot down while moving very slow or hovering.

And i posted that video to show that iraqi tanks used air burst. The video itself is pretty irrelevant because we don't use that helicopter or the tow missile (from helicopter) in PR.
badmojo420 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
air, burst, shells, tanks