project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
22 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 03:52 PM   #21
Alex6714

Default Re: Air burst shells in tanks

YouTube Video

"Today's forecast calls for 30mm HE rain with a slight chance of hellfires"

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #22
badmojo420
Supporting Member

I'm guessing the OP saw the latest episode of helicopter warfare. About a tank & lynx battle in basrah. Where the iraqi tank used air burst shells to try and take down the lynx. I'll try and find it on youtube and post a link.

Alex, sure the helicopter can destroy multiple tanks etc, etc. But that requires them to know exactly where the tank is. Which isn't always the case. A tank in a good position will be a hard target to spot. I don't know how many times i've seen a tank fire a main HE round at a helicopter.

If you rely on your coax or 50cal to take down enemy helicopters your just asking for a quick death. Those both draw a nice glowing line from your tank to the target. Not too difficult for the helicopter to follow it back to the source. A main gun on the other hand is a puff of smoke and then nothing for a little bit. Much more confusing and deadly for the helicopters.
badmojo420 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #23
badmojo420
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmojo420 View Post
I'll try and find it on youtube and post a link.
part 1
YouTube Video
Old 06-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #24
Alex6714

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmojo420 View Post
I don't know how many times i've seen a tank fire a main HE round at a helicopter.
In PR or RL? Helicopter with radar/flir or without?

Remember that in PR everything has the same engagement distance which unbalances things, irl the helicopter doesn´t have to get anywhere near the tanks range.

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Old 06-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #25
badmojo420
Supporting Member

In game.

I understand that newer helicopters can stay way back and fire on tanks. My whole point is that they need to locate the tank before they can even think about firing on him. If the helicopter pilots don't know about the tank hiding in the buildings, trees, rocks, etc, they'll assume that its safe to fly over that area. Then you have a situation where a tank can see a helicopter in range of its gun, but has no ammo designed for engaging air targets.

Yes, the new choppers have FLIR, Radar, etc, systems to find these targets. But at the same time tank crews are being educated to hide in a way to not be detected. I have no objection to these systems being implemented into PR, if possible. But them not being in PR is no reason to disallow anything else to become more effective against helicopters.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #26
Alex6714

I wouldn´t mind tanks having it at all. But helicopters are rediculously easy to shoot down at the moment anyway. If it was added in, and even if not, helicopters should have more range and tracking ability on tanks.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:02 PM   #27
Scot
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Scot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator200 View Post
this isnt technicaly true the russin t60 i think or summat like that uses them in real life if this quote refers to gameplay then i cant comment, terms of how to implement it u could possiably have the range finder that the driver has by using the right ckick wen u find a range by lookin at it that could be the range it explodes at dnt no if its possiable
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator200 View Post
I was thinkin thawt tanks should have airburst round in there armement to engage to choppers as this is one of the rounds tanks have
Hello,

here are so commas, full stops, apostrophes, exclamation marks, question marks, colons, semi-colons, and brackets for your posts:

......... ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, '''''''''''''''' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ??????????? :::::::: ;;;;;;;;; ((((((((( )))))))))))))

Please use them

As long as this is realistic, I'm for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scot is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:46 AM   #28
@bsurd

im against it. Ground forces like tanks and apcs have right now a way to much power against air targets...

Hell with my driver, and im @ the gun i cant count the JETS i shoot down with a tank shell ! And that is unrealistic in the same way a tank shoot´s an ATTACK chopper.

And with the new system of lets say an ah 64 D Longbow there is nothing were you can hide with your tank! Some sattelite pictures, some UAV and stuff like that check the ground b4 the troops get in!

So IRL you were be spotted b4 the chopper lifts of....

And with the gps hellfires there is no spotter and nothing needed. Only a dot on a screen and then a nice new youtube vid...

And ingame now a chopper gunner cant even hit a target when the chopper is on the move. (ok, only if he flys straight to the target, but thats kind of stupid imo, because then you can only wait for the 120mm tank shell boom!)

my 2 cents... Give the choppers a kind of tracking system, and some kind of flir and stuff like that.

And after that talk again about tank ammo for air targets...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

@bsurd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:56 AM   #29
wookimonsta
Supporting Member

I am aware that tanks can use airburst shells. I remember seeing a series called Helicopter Warfare by the BBC (I think). This episode was about iraq, and it was about a Lynx that was almost shot down by a hidden iraqi tank.
To me, this makes sense, an airburst round that required a distance to be set (with the scroll wheel in the way that the small rocket launcher is set in BF2142). I know that the tank driver can get distance measurements in the tanks, and if the tank can set up airburst rounds to explode after a certain distance, this would mean that helicopters have to keep moving. I can't count the amount of helicopters I've shot down because some pilot was hovering it in place for 3 minutes to let his gunner take aim over and over.

However, I think this airburst weapon would be extremely destructive against infantry as hiding behind anything would be extremely ineffective. The tank would simply have to get the distance to what you are hiding behind and pop a shell 10 meters behind it.

I guess this could also work if you could set your heat shells to explode after a certain distance.
wookimonsta is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #30
Alex6714

Well you would just have it proximity detonate with air vehicles really. But I can´t understand why you want helicopters to have to keep moving. I guess you have never gunned in one in PR.

Thing is, I am fine with this as long as helicopters are allowed to track tanks like thay can in real life too.

Tags
air, burst, shells, tanks