project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
31 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
Kill001

Send a message via AIM to Kill001 Send a message via MSN to Kill001 Send a message via Yahoo to Kill001
Default Better Weapon Selection and Customization

Now before you rant this has been suggested before, I've thought, for quite awhile, to allow weapon customization while still in the BF2 engine, and the result was quite simple

Now, I've been looking at the spawn menu for PR .86, and I see there are two NCO kits, allowing the NCO kit to allow customization to some degree

Now, why not expand this concept? And before you rant: "F*CK YOU IT'S BEEN SUGGESTED", take a look at my ideas before you do so: (and plus, isn't having two NCO kits with different primary weapon sights some type of customization?)

First, you request a kit

Then, the menu for what class comes up

Now here's the difference, when you click it, instead of spawning the NCO kit, the menu for customization comes up, allowing some variety among the weapons

I think that this can be expanded for riflemen and LMGs as well, after all, looking at footage from Iraq, I see US army personnel (mebbe other factions as well?) with varying degrees of customization on their standard issue weapon, plus, I think this'll be realistic to some degree (sauce below)

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

(Now, I don't know if those are a special forces division, but someone confirm this)

Customized guns should also be limited (ACOG be limited 20 per map, etc)

Also, weapons that already spawn that way within the spawn menu (riflemen guns with acog, NCO with ironsight) should be left that way, and only the weapons with alternate customization should appear on the kit request menu

This should be requested at APCs, Rally Points, and Supply Crates (with rally points having a special exception):
-Rally points should only offer ironsight to those wishing to "dismount" their acogs/aimpoints

IF Eotechs, red dot sights, or those exotic sighting systems are special forces exclusive, just at least implement this system to distribute the already existing aimpoint, acog, and ironsight

I'm just saying, this can't be too hard to implement, and will be tremendously cool if it is added in :P

EDIT: Should also apply for other 'official' (Rus, GB, china, etc) factions as well... forgot to add that in since I primarily play US... :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last edited by Kill001; 06-04-2009 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: hurr
Old 06-04-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
Zeppelin35

Default Re: Better Weapon Selection and Customization

I haven't seen this suggested before and it is a pretty good idea. Could be a good way to get around the unlock system that the Devs claim is buggy. If this is possible I would really like to see it in 0.9.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
gclark03

I've supported this idea for a long time, but I never did bother to draw it in Paint. Good work.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
Kill001

Send a message via AIM to Kill001 Send a message via MSN to Kill001 Send a message via Yahoo to Kill001
Talking Re: Better Weapon Selection and Customization

I try and make it as reasonable as possible (simple to implement, yet, tremendous changes in personal selection and preferences)

It'd be nice if there are any devs willing to make this happen...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:12 AM   #5
Psyko

I believe Sniper comes under the catagory of Recon. but the rest looks like a good idea.

In fact i thought of somthing similar a few months ago and heres what i thought about.

unfortunatly, (not to poop all over your idea, its a good one) it would mean reworking the entire squad codeing back to basics...and [R-DEV]Dbzao would likely pay the ultimate price, using his monitor as a self bludgening device if he thought he would have to spend another enormous amount of time recoding a new system after he has spent over two years (or so...) making the current one. which...as coding goes, is not a flawless or even close to infalible system. there are builds, bugs and fixes...hundreds of them.

HUNDREDSS OF TH3M!!1

however, if it was as simple as the squad screan being reworked, the only issues needed to be considered would be that each and every variation of the weapon (eg: ACOG, or aimpoint on your weapon) means that a different version of the gun is put into the memory of the server, which may cause a strain of the p2p information sort, not sure, but it might.

But what im not wrong on is, that with change to code comes months and months of bugs, that arnt exactly noticible, and with bugs come possible exploits. and testers writhing in agony.

The squad system has always been the core of the project and hours of work have been put in by Jaymz and DB and Anchientman god bless their wee hearts... And i pray to the busty Godess of Computers that they continue their diligant work so that i may pwn daily. And who knows, some day, when a shooting star moves over the sky, and a black cat crosses your patch, a miricle may happen.

[but for the record, yes i'v seen what they did with the wookie snipzor mod and forgotten hope 2. and im pretty sure the python for those in comparison with PR are different.]

Thanks for all the hard work PR team!
Old 06-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
Kill001

Exclamation Re: Better Weapon Selection and Customization

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykogundam View Post
unfortunatly, (not to poop all over your idea, its a good one) it would mean reworking the entire squad codeing back to basics...and [R-DEV]Dbzao would likely pay the ultimate price, using his monitor as a self bludgening device if he thought he would have to spend another enormous amount of time recoding a new system after he has spent over two years (or so...) making the current one. which...as coding goes, is not a flawless or even close to infalible system. there are builds, bugs and fixes...hundreds of them.

HUNDREDSS OF TH3M!!1

however, if it was as simple as the squad screan being reworked, the only issues needed to be considered would be that each and every variation of the weapon (eg: ACOG, or aimpoint on your weapon) means that a different version of the gun is put into the memory of the server, which may cause a strain of the p2p information sort, not sure, but it might.

But what im not wrong on is, that with change to code comes months and months of bugs, that arnt exactly noticible, and with bugs come possible exploits. and testers writhing in agony.
Justa simple question:

Adding a simple subslot within the kit selection menu causes that much trouble?
Imean, I'm no coder but it doesn't take a professional one to assume this idea wouldn't be that difficult to implement within the game itself

Is it me or is the subcategories function (applied to the 'T' commo rose) that makes this work is code locked? Also, is there a set amount of commands that can be issued within the squad kit system ('T' commo rose)? If so, I did not know the game was that complicated to code such simple features

Also, the squad screen shouldn't be cluttered with variety of weapons (m16acog, m16ironsight, etc); that my whole point in suggesting this idea

Old 06-05-2009, 12:31 AM   #7
Psyko

mmm...no, making the squad screen do that is easy for a programmer. the hard part is actually getting it to perform the task/s you want without a landslide of errors and bugs. and more importantly, without exploits

Thanks for all the hard work PR team!
Old 06-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #8
Dev1200

It looks great on paper, and would be sweet ingame. Although the "iron sights" found on the USMC maps when you are a medic (instead of having the red dot) would be pretty much useless.. since the red dot provides a clearer aiming point.

Also, the EOTech sight is in the system as well (at least in canada anyway..).

I kind of remember a DEV stating that there is a cap on how many "kits" you can have. Since vBf2 only has 5 (i haven't played in forever.. maybe 6), I think the amount of "kits" you can have (each loadout would equal 1 kit.. so rifleman with eotech, red dot, iron, and susat are all different kits) is I think capped at 10.. or 12. Im not entirely sure on that tho. It was a while back.

Lets hope v1.5 of BF2 opens up the engine a bit more.. fastropes FTW
Old 06-05-2009, 12:41 AM   #9
Katarn
Retired PR Developer

You can only have 9 kits on the spawn page iirc, but there is no limitation to the amount of kits we can do through kit limitation. I'm not sure it's possible to have sub-menu for each individual kit, but it is an interesting thought.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:44 AM   #10
Kill001

Lightbulb Re: Better Weapon Selection and Customization

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykogundam View Post
mmm...no, making the squad screen do that is easy for a programmer. the hard part is actually getting it to perform the task/s you want without a landslide of errors and bugs. and more importantly, without exploits
Well duh, trying anything new within a game would cause bugs xP

I learned that from editing countless scripts within the source engine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Katarn View Post
You can only have 9 kits on the spawn page iirc, but there is no limitation to the amount of kits we can do through kit limitation. I'm not sure it's possible to have sub-menu for each individual kit, but it is an interesting thought.
So do you think it's possible sir?

Last edited by Kill001; 06-05-2009 at 12:46 AM.. Reason: Hmm...
Closed Thread

Tags
customization, selection, weapon