project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
22 Dec 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 12:08 AM   #31
Redamare
Supporting Member

Default Re: Better Weapon Selection and Customization

I support the Idea like ( First you start with a stock Ironsights gun ) then you can go to the crate and request Diff scopes or add ons such as granade tube but keep it in mind the limitations...

PROBLEMS:
There will have to be 3 or 4 diff variations of grananadeer and extra variations to customisationation :P lolol it would be nice to customize like 2142 buut it might not be the best solution ^_^

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:38 AM   #32
Kill001

Send a message via AIM to Kill001 Send a message via MSN to Kill001 Send a message via Yahoo to Kill001
Lightbulb Re: Better Weapon Selection and Customization

My original idea for this was to keep this as minimum as possible (in size, and in in features, but not being too much of a nuisance just to add a few extra megabytes), such examples are:

-Only allowing weapons to allowed to switch between SIGHTS (no laser pointers, foregrips, etc), such as acog, aimpoint, and ironsight
-Not overly killing the ui (such as adding 50 bajillion selections to the 'T' commo rose and spawn menu)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Knight View Post
Twenty new kits which would equate to about 25-30 megabytes uncompressed. And again, this can be done incrementally. I'd start by using the existing equipment then expand to additional weapons.

Let's also not forget the benefits of making this new selection system from a programmatic standpoint. If you implement this new system you will now have the framework for adding an unlimited number of new kits with minimal effort. It would just be a matter of plugging in a new weapon on the menu. This system would scale a hell of a lot better than your current system. It's worth the effort for future extensibility alone.

UPDATE:
I'll put my money where my mouth is and build a proof of concept.
Very well said though

Discuss further... we may even get somewhere with this

(Dibs on red dot sight :P):

EDIT: Is memory size really an issue for this mod tight now?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last edited by Kill001; 06-06-2009 at 12:52 AM.. Reason: LOLOLOL
Old 06-06-2009, 02:16 AM   #33
Conman51

i thought some one would of suggested this before..i always thought about it.....lol nice idea showing it through paint...this gets my full support

although i think there should just be a red dot and acog, maybe in some kits just irons and acog..no eotech

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Mark Twain

Old 06-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #34
SkaterCrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill001 View Post
My original idea for this was to keep this as minimum as possible (in size, and in in features, but not being too much of a nuisance just to add a few extra megabytes), such examples are:

-Only allowing weapons to allowed to switch between SIGHTS (no laser pointers, foregrips, etc), such as acog, aimpoint, and ironsight
-Not overly killing the ui (such as adding 50 bajillion selections to the 'T' commo rose and spawn menu)

Very well said though

Discuss further... we may even get somewhere with this

(Dibs on red dot sight :P):

I like the clunky EOtech one...I think its hawt

Old 06-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #35
Cpt. Trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill001 View Post

I get CTDs after a few maps with 2GB RAM and i'd rather I didn't.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #36
unrealalex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Trips View Post
I get CTDs after a few maps with 2GB RAM and i'd rather I didn't.
I doubt that has anything to do with it.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #37
gclark03

PR file size isn't such a problem that new vehicles and new maps can be added, but a few KB of kits can't.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #38
Cpt. Trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealalex View Post
I doubt that has anything to do with it.
I'm pretty sure it's known to be caused by bf2.exe running out of memory...
Old 06-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #39
gclark03

If the problem were that dire, 0.86 wouldn't even be possible. Memory is no object here.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #40
Tonnie
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclark03 View Post
PR file size isn't such a problem that new vehicles and new maps can be added, but a few KB of kits can't.
its more then a few kb... you need to understand that one weapons folder size is about 1Mb i mean i know thats not much but it adds up when you have like 50 different variations on different weapons,

Dont get me wrong tho, i like the idea

HangMan: BF2 Editor, it has very strict limitations memory wise, and crashes all the time. Its like a girl. Treat it with respect and take it slow and you'll get places. Rush and get ahead of yourself and it will turn around and punch you in the mouth
Closed Thread

Tags
customization, selection, weapon