project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
19 Feb 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #11
Silly_Savage
Default Re: Sprint bar : Audible ques

Rather than starting a new thread over the same issue, I decided to search first. I know, crazy right?

So I found this thread and seeing how the last post wasn't too ridiculously long ago, I've decided to bump this thread with my own thoughts.

My own opinion is that the less HUD on my screen, the better it is.

Taking into account that there still needs to be indications present that represent RL scenarios, I feel that removing the stamina bar wouldn't result in diminished game play.

If anything, I believe it would increase the immersion. My idea, similar to the ones posted previously would be to replace the stamina bar with audio ques stating when you were running low on stamina.

I find the bleed out effect that's already in-game to be similar to how the new audio ques would work while sprinting. As you first start out running, there's no audio other than the noise of your boots on the ground. When you reach the half way mark, you should start breathing slightly through your nose. Later on, when you have about a third of your stamina left, you start to breath heavily. Finally, when you're all out of sprint, you should be panting hard and trying to catch your breath. Maybe a very slight blur around the edges of your screen too.

If this could also be translated to the third person, then maybe we wouldn't have everyone sprinting everywhere due to the fact that their breathing could now be heard by the enemy and would most likely reveal their position. Taking your time while walking through dense areas such as wooded forests or urban sprawls would take much more effort and time now, creating a much slower and more tactical approach.

In closing, I believe removing the stamina bar from the HUD would be one step closer to a more immerse Project Reality.

Anyways, those are my thoughts. Now lets hear yours.

"Jafar, show me a sniper rifle." - Silly_Savage 2013
Silly_Savage is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:28 PM   #12
[R-MOD]Spec
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

If it's possible to do that with the sound, I'd be for it. Less HUD, more realism, I agree.
[R-MOD]Spec is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:30 PM   #13
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

this would seem nice, however IRL a guy doesn't need to listen to his own breath to know whether or not he's ready to run or not, he should just know. This is probably the reason why the bar hasn't been removed yet, had the devs wanted to, this would have been a very simple change.
Bringerof_D is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:52 PM   #14
Silly_Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringerof_D View Post
this would seem nice, however IRL a guy doesn't need to listen to his own breath to know whether or not he's ready to run or not, he should just know. This is probably the reason why the bar hasn't been removed yet, had the devs wanted to, this would have been a very simple change.
Just like every other major change, such as the removal of SL spawns and removal of the minimap, people will just need to learn to adapt. After awhile, people will realize that when they start breathing heavily, they're nearly out of stamina and will need to find cover soon. It really isn't that hard to grasp.

I feel that the less HUD there is, the more immerse Project Reality will be and I will stand by that statement.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:58 PM   #15
Solid Knight

You could take the bar out completely and people will just ball park it. You can also have it so that it only appears when you check the map which is how I have it in my personal mode.
Solid Knight is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #16
wookimonsta
Supporting Member

it would be nice to give people a choice. i mean, when i run, i know when im tired and when i am not, not by hearing myself breathing, but by feeling that burning sensation in my legs that happens whenever i run more than 20 meters. maybe let em turn it on and off?
wookimonsta is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:48 PM   #17
Cheditor

Yeah when i run and get tired i feel it in my legs before my breathing, sprint bar is just a nice visual aid to what you feel IMO.

Cheditor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #18
Silly_Savage

That's not the point though. We're not actually able to feel our legs burning from exhaustion. Therefore we have to represent that feeling through other means.

You may say the stamina bar does that already, which is true I guess, in some sense. However, that takes up space on the HUD and breaks immersion. The whole point of removing the stamina bar and replacing it with audio ques is to free up the HUD and make the game more immerse.

You said SL spawns helped keep squad cohesion up. You said the minimap helped situational awareness. Those both got removed, and we managed to overcome and adapt. I don't think removing the stamina bar would break the game, I believe it would only improve it.

It doesn't have to be an overbearing or an obnoxiously loud noise. Just a simple reminder that you are losing stamina. I'll quote myself again, "People will soon realize that when they start breathing heavily, they are running low on stamina and need to find cover soon." It really is that simple and yet so many people seem against any change at all.

Without change, this mod wouldn't be where it is today. I say give it a shot. If it fails miserably, then you all can blame me and my dumb idea, saying that I "broke" the mod.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #19
goguapsy

sounds are 1337.

Guys, when a new player comes, just answer his question and go on your merry way, instead of going berserk! It's THAT simple!

[/CENTER]
goguapsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:31 PM   #20
Snares

Excellent idea, and easy to implement.
Snares is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, bar, ques, sprint