project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
20 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

View Poll Results: Should the kill counter be removed?
Yes 248 14.57%
No 517 30.38%
Only show scores at round end 616 36.19%
Show it, but focus it on squad/team effort 298 17.51%
other (explain) 23 1.35%
Voters: 1702. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #381
Stealthgato

Default Re: Remove the kill counter?

Agree Kain, the best is to delay the kills and score by 10 minutes and make every player on enemy team on the scoreboard not fade out when they die.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #382
*NwA*Orford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain888 View Post
Being able to magically check status of guys you just hit is not tactical at all. It's just cheap, gimmicky way to check who are you fighting with, who is remaining, are they reviving, etc.
I don't agree with you on the second point either - I don't see anything wrong playing for kills. Of course there has to be priority, but scoring kills may not only be enjoying, it's most of times helpful for team and it's a way to achieve victory.

And thanks for tip about stopping to be so self destructive. xD Will again state the obvious - kill counter DOESN'T have to be removed. It should be tweaked, there are many way and compromises you can do that/ Many not hrmful for people who care about seeing their kills.

Check this post:

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18-...ml#post1780472
I was refering to change for change sake and the questions in the poll, should it be removed yes/no. I would say no, thats my point.

Now if i wanted to discuss the other questions, how to change it, delay it, fade it out. I'd have to say whats the point. If its made to do some thing diffrent other then tell you if the guy you just shot has respawned or delay giving you that info then theres no point it in being there.

If I had to chose between no kill count until the end of the round or a delayed kill count, I would say no kill count and that would be counter productive as the players who like the kill count and enjoy looking at the kills tot up will just stop playing as they get no enjoyment or there enjoyment is reduced thus leading to another nail in the coffin of them coming to play PR.

So i refer you back to my point, why change whats not broken, adjusting some thing that has no bearing on YOUR GAME just because YOU dont like hearing "yeh i got 10 kills" at the end of the round. I suggest you spent more time setting a key bind for Muting mumble then spending time taking away other peoples enjoyment of the game.

Cheep and low tactic, use all the tools you have farely and in the same way every one else can with out breaking rules or being seen to bend the game engine/exploite. Seams dumb to me not to use the kill count to confirm if the sniper is dead or waiting for a medic.
Last edited by *NwA*Orford; 06-20-2012 at 10:13 AM..
Old 06-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #383
O_turista_portugues

I think everyone agrees on the server rules no road-killing, mainly because the engine cant handle well those kind of physics.

Kill counter in PR its the same thing, PR cant properly handle the hit boxes of wounded or dead, you can clearly headshot a guy or IED him and he can still be revive which is kind of annoying, but with the K/D we can determinate if the player is dead or no, or in other word if we go'na have zombies or not.

**Example**
I clearly Headshot a guy, I should move on because that threat is down.

**W/ killcounter**
I confirm I have a kill, I move on.
I dont have a kill I know I'll have a zombie; time to wait for the revives.
**W/o killcounter**
I have to wait 5m to make sure he will be dead dead.

[Released] PRSPY for Android

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #384
Kain888
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthgato View Post
Agree Kain, the best is to delay the kills and score by 10 minutes and make every player on enemy team on the scoreboard not fade out when they die.
Yeh. There are many ways to disable the magical intel, more or less drastic. First of all, like other said and Moon elaborated - graying enemy score chat is the best to do to disable the gameplay and immersion breaking factor that allows for checking in real time your enemy status - "there are still two more of that clan, wait with reviving!". It's a bit like having a radar sometimes when you are experienced in PR. This is additionally making the game less appealing for newcomers IMO, especially that they won't use that trick everybody uses here.

Mats was working on something like that - http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f388...ame-score.html

About kill count - like many, many posted, there is several ways to approach this issue and many of them would make most people happy:

1) Delaying refreshing of score chart and/or making it at fixed intervals. That way you don't know if they gave up (and spawned) earlier or just now. It still allows for learning mechanics and exploiting it like current system but it's far more complicated to keep track than pressing TAB for split of second each 10-15 sec like we do have now. Yet it gives kills and people are happy. It may be though disorientating for new players, but it's already similar to current system more than to vanilla one.

2) More vanilla style (iirc) - just give kills for wounded players. It's not game breaking, you still need to check if enemy is dead-dead or not and it makes people who play for kills happy. IMO it's good solution. Basically when you wounded someone it adds to your score so the only magical intel you get by this solution is when somebody bleed to death or you were not sure you hit.

3) Removing kill counter whatsoever or posting it at the end of round - my favorite, but would be hated by many I guess. ^^

There also were more insightful and good points posted in this thread I guess, but I think these are worth considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NwA*Orford View Post
I was refering to change for change sake and the questions in the poll, should it be removed yes/no. I would say no, thats my point.
I'm not saying you have no right to express your points and I respect it. I just doesn't agree that's it's tactical to see numbers out of nowhere. I would prefer in game called Project Reality to rely on teamwork provided intel - not TAB provided one. ^^ So as you can already see it's not change for the sake of change, it has some valid points behind it brought by many people in this thread. Both sides of course have valid points, hence the discussion ;]

Quote:
Now if i wanted to discuss the other questions, how to change it, delay it, fade it out. I'd have to say whats the point. If its made to do some thing diffrent other then tell you if the guy you just shot has respawned or delay giving you that info then theres no point it in being there.
There is point. Brought by many in this topic. Many factors and reasons have been posted, including, but not limited to: fun, immersion, tactical aspect, teamwork, realism, gameplay issues. I won't talk about them here, because on almost every page of this topic there are people who are have been bringing these points.

Quote:
If I had to chose between no kill count until the end of the round or a delayed kill count, I would say no kill count and that would be counter productive as the players who like the kill count and enjoy looking at the kills tot up will just stop playing as they get no enjoyment or there enjoyment is reduced thus leading to another nail in the coffin of them coming to play PR.
First of all you can't really state it's against players not having any data about that fact, it's just not fair. Also counter productive is not really a matter here. Delayed reward is the best of reward for most people (we need to remember about individual differences), especially to fight with boredom. You see, repetitive gameplay and quick feedback is what is bad for modern games so they need to release new content every few months, on the other hand we have PR with rare as hell updates and people still play it, some for years not getting bored like they would with other games.

Also only 30% of this poll says that they want to keep the kill counter in current system. So maybe it's not bad idea to experiment with it a bit?

Also stating PR players get most of their enjoyment from kills is imo not valid. PR playerbase is different than most of other games, so I doubt it's, as you stated, a nail. If going by this logic we should bring back stats and unlocks because that would help to keep players motivated.

Quote:
So i refer you back to my point, why change whats not broken, adjusting some thing that has no bearing on YOUR GAME just because YOU dont like hearing "yeh i got 10 kills" at the end of the round. I suggest you spent more time setting a key bind for Muting mumble then spending time taking away other peoples enjoyment of the game.
Thanks again for tips regarding what should or shouldn't I do in my life. But moving back to discussion. Not changing something that is not broken may be cool idiom but is stupid in it's deep understanding, the progress is made by changing things and improving them. That's how world is spinning.

And as I've expressed earlier I don't suggest removing kill counter, even if that what may suit me. Just removing magic intel is the best way to bring new players to game and put back some immersion. You need to remember that the "fun" you are waving like a flag is way too subjective to take it all for your purposes in discussion. I can ask you the same thing - why do you want to take enjoyment from others game if it's not hurting your gameplay?

I remember playing the game few years ago when I was actually asking and checking if I scored the kill. We, in squad, were making sure we killed and secured position by actually checking it and relying on intel. Then we just figured how mechanic works (and that it wasn't like it was described in manual) and why do such thing now? You basically play with TAB on, because you know enemy does the same thing and if he doesn't then it means he is new to the game and will probably soon leave it after having hard times figuring on how game actually works. ;]

That's my point, Orford - let's not kill Project Reality, it doesn't deserve it.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #385
*NwA*Orford

Im glad to have a disscusion on this, just to clear up I said "I would say no kill count and that would be counter productive as the players who like the kill count and enjoy looking at the kills tot.... " I didnt say all players play for kills.

I play the way you mentioned, covering, counter attacks, probing, ambush. I just use the kill count as a tool to help keep my squad safe.

As ive said in another thread its not all about the kills and its not all about the WIN. Im just trying to put across to the people who have that opinion (hence I used YOUR and YOU in general term, not you by name directly.) of the kill counter is distracting form THEIR game play. If you remove it "you" are in balance taking away more then you are trying to give.

The poll in this forum is just for the users of this forum and we know the spread of player types that use this forum lean towards the more advanced player, that isnt the norm of the player population as a whole. So granted the outcome of this poll may reflect the wishes of this forum user base, will it add any thing to the day to day player of PR or take away more.

Either way things have been added and things have been taken away with every version of PR, this time we get a conversation and add some weight rather than any thing being forced on us.

What ever happens in the same way I have done with every version of PR, I will adapt and continue playing. I just wanted to express a view that brings balance to the discussion, remvong the kill count has no direct effect on those that want it removed but has a negative effect on those that use it and get either help (gameplay) or enjoyment from it. Using the exagerated argument that players go round holding down the TAB key, spoils "YOUR" game is silly and obsured and how its "not Fair". I dont see how its not fair if its available to every one, learn to use it. Not fair would be removing an aspect of the MOD that some users get enjoyment from and use it to improve the gameplay they have. Are we not trying to improve PR for more people and not reduce it. How would you know who does this and when they are doing it, what effect do you feel when some other player press's TAB.

Kill count has been there from the begining, if it wasnt and this was a discussion about whether it should be added. I would say NO for all the reasons that have been mentioned here for removing it. Though This is about removing it, thats counter productive as there would be more dissapointment from players as a whole then there would be for removing it.
Therefore I feel it would be detramental to PR in the whole to remove it or changing it.

Have a nice day, thanks for the conversation,. Sorry about the spellings.
Last edited by *NwA*Orford; 06-20-2012 at 11:59 AM..
Old 06-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #386
Beav

Now that I have finally posted enough to chime in here.

Is it possible to make this a server side option? This way the server admin has the choice to enable the kill count or not.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:54 AM   #387
LK1
Banned

i dont see many players playing for the kills in pr.... i dont feel the problem.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:27 AM   #388
SGT.Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_turista_portugues View Post
I think everyone agrees on the server rules no road-killing, mainly because the engine cant handle well those kind of physics.
Don't try and speak for everyone when their consent is not given.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #389
doop-de-doo
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_turista_portugues View Post
Wrong thread?

IMO, the poll speaks for itself.

B4TM4N
Old 06-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #390
SShadowFox

It's better to, sometimes the kill count, sometimes no, because IRL you won't know if you killed the target every time you hit someone.
Closed Thread

Tags
counter, kill, remove