project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
17 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #31
goguapsy

Default Re: Hesco Barrier

^
According to Sebastian Junger's "War", it would take a platoon about 1 day to fill up 1 block of Hesco without building assets.

Not sure if it makes much sense in-game.

Guys, when a new player comes, just answer his question and go on your merry way, instead of going berserk! It's THAT simple!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/CENTER]
goguapsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #32
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goguapsy View Post
^
According to Sebastian Junger's "War", it would take a platoon about 1 day to fill up 1 block of Hesco without building assets.

Not sure if it makes much sense in-game.
this doesnt seem to make sense. a Hesco section is give or take a ~ 1 x 1.5 x 1 meter box made of a wire frame and what i would assume to be a fabric to hold the contents in. you fill it with sand and rocks. how is it possible for it to take an entire platoon a whole day just to fill one?

but yes it is a rediculous amount of work to make one so for FOB purposes is impractical. real FOBs are setup so it makes sense, in game FOBs are more forward command post for a particular operation (ie. the radio hub for a defensive line. or where NCOs would take orders from their jr officers during a mission)

alternative: how about just a sand bag wall? high enough for you to crouch behind but low enough so standing you can shoot over it? OR just over the top of your head standing for full cover.

Anything can be a weapon, anyone can be a threat. Never under estimate the combat ability of your opposition. He may seem weak and harmless now but even a dead man can carry a few pounds of explosives in his gut or deliver a decisive blow by rotting away in your water supply.
Last edited by Bringerof_D; 05-10-2011 at 09:59 PM..
Old 05-10-2011, 09:52 PM   #33
LithiumFox

Send a message via AIM to LithiumFox Send a message via MSN to LithiumFox Send a message via Yahoo to LithiumFox Send a message via Skype™ to LithiumFox

Looks more ARMA 2 appropriate.

LithiumFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #34
Gozjh

I belive he said block as in an area, not a single unit.
Hesco would be a wonder to have in the battle feild. It could have a restriction such as all HESCOS must be in the same place, simular to the mortars. It would give an incintive to defend a base if it took 15-30 minutes to build the thing.

[R-DEV]Rudd: "its project reality...not an episode of bob the builder or something...."

Gozjh is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #35
RealKail

I don't see why folks are suggesting these be a pain to set up simply because they take forever to set up IRL. Most of these deployable assets take a decent amount of time to set up IRL, but it hasn't affected their build here. Most notable asset that would take a good amount of time IRL would be the HMGs and their sandbags with camo netting, then the current razor wire.

I think these could be a good idea, being able to narrow the ways your enemy can approach/shoot at you in ways the razor wire can't. However, I don't really see the current need seeing as how the razor wire typically does a good enough job as is.
RealKail is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #36
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealKail View Post
I don't see why folks are suggesting these be a pain to set up simply because they take forever to set up IRL. Most of these deployable assets take a decent amount of time to set up IRL, but it hasn't affected their build here. Most notable asset that would take a good amount of time IRL would be the HMGs and their sandbags with camo netting, then the current razor wire.

I think these could be a good idea, being able to narrow the ways your enemy can approach/shoot at you in ways the razor wire can't. However, I don't really see the current need seeing as how the razor wire typically does a good enough job as is.
actually, speaking strictly of wire barriers in general, 2 men could set one up in under 3 minutes. the ones with tank traps like in game might take longer but that's really just the devs' choice for aesthetics.

the HMG itself would take less than a minute to to be setup, the sand bags around it can be set up in another 30-40 minutes with the same 2 men as before.

you gotta give soldier's more credit, we're not payed by the hour.

all the equipment necessary to build any of the current structures can be delivered on a single truck.

if you're going to be building hescos, it's not really worth it unless you go big. so that would require more equipment. i mean a short hesco wall about 5 meters wide would feel really out of place in game, where as although less realistic by today's standards, sand bags would look less out of place.

like i said the FOB in game is not really an FOB, you're main bases often are what we call IRL an FOB. the small camo net structure is really just a radio station for the platoon level. honestly to curb the constant flow of people who think the "FOB" needs more assets, i'd like the Devs to rename it an OP base (Observation Post)

Anything can be a weapon, anyone can be a threat. Never under estimate the combat ability of your opposition. He may seem weak and harmless now but even a dead man can carry a few pounds of explosives in his gut or deliver a decisive blow by rotting away in your water supply.
Last edited by Bringerof_D; 05-10-2011 at 11:00 PM..
Old 05-10-2011, 11:37 PM   #37
goguapsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringerof_D View Post
this doesnt seem to make sense. a Hesco section is give or take a ~ 1 x 1.5 x 1 meter box made of a wire frame and what i would assume to be a fabric to hold the contents in. you fill it with sand and rocks. how is it possible for it to take an entire platoon a whole day just to fill one?
Perhaps I was mistaken - it was a whole squad (still took one day), if anything.

I mean, look at the size of that thing! How long do you figure YOU would take to fill THAT thing up? It's much bigger than it looks!

Guys, when a new player comes, just answer his question and go on your merry way, instead of going berserk! It's THAT simple!

[/CENTER]
goguapsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:40 AM   #38
[R-DEV]Thermis
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goguapsy View Post
Perhaps I was mistaken - it was a whole squad (still took one day), if anything.

I mean, look at the size of that thing! How long do you figure YOU would take to fill THAT thing up? It's much bigger than it looks!
You underestimate the power of motivated soldiers being shot at. How do you think we get hescos on top of mountains?

While the preferred method of filling hescos is using a front loader, soldiers can fill them by hand. Yes is does take forever.
[R-DEV]Thermis is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:32 AM   #39
AtlantisThief

I like the idea. This would make Fob more defensable against heavy vehicles which is good since one tank in the right position can either kill all spawning man and then kill the Fob, or simply kill the spawning man :P
I would like that with the idea of the supply truck in the first place, but later on i would like to see some kind of bulldozer or a frontloader.
AtlantisThief is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:07 AM   #40
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

I still think it is inappropriate, again you're not building a real FOB, the actual FOB is your main base in most cases in game. what you're building with your truck and shovels isn't an FOB but rather an observation post or temporary command post at best, meant to be built in a few minutes, and be able to be taken down in the same amount of time to bug out.

Bringerof_D is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
barrier, hesco