project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
16 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 10:10 PM   #11
Cassius

Default Re: APC Change

LOAD UP TEAMSPEAK. I can not believe how underused teamspeak is. It is essential to work toegether with an apc squad. TS make PR sooo much more fun. Attatching a squad to an apc or even have whole convoys going is only duable with teamspeak.

When TS was present it always worked for a charm for me. I asked for pick up apc loaded me up and dropped me off somewhere secure 400m off the action or so and started supporting me. Picking up another squad to refinforce me, no problem.
We even got convoys going, 2 apcs in a striker and a loaded humvee on point going for a cash on ramiel. WE got like 4 cashes in 15 min.

The problem is COMMUNICATION. If you are busy in the apc you oftentimes overread the TEXT comms.

|TG|cap_Kilgore

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cassius is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #12
SocketMan

I thought APC's were going to be the only transport on most 0.85 maps,but we still have the big support trucks that fit a lot of people.

Reviving is another "issue",people know that when you get nailed inside a vehicle -
you're dead and if you're on foot you can be revived "50" times.

The only "solution" I can think of:get rid of support trucks (keep the logistics),3 people to get a crewman kit and 5 people to cap a flag.

I am guessing that most people would ride in the APC versus going on foot all the way.
The crewmen would also know (eventually) that if they take off leaving 25 people stranded at their main - there is a high chance of kick vote against them
SocketMan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:15 PM   #13
Tartantyco

-Well, I think the problem is that the DEVs didn't take it far enough. Trucks are still plentiful and hence there's no need to use APCs as transport on most maps. For APCs to actually become Armored Personnel Carriers a few things have to happen:

Remove other Transport Vehicles
Have APCs with only mounted MGs mostly(No crewman restriction on the MG spot)
Increase the amount of AT rounds for LAT kits(Or increase ammo points in bags or decrease ammo point requirements for AT rounds)

Make Norway OPFOR! NAO!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's your hamster Richard. It's your hamster in the box and it's not breathing.
Tartantyco is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:22 PM   #14
Fess|3-5|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartantyco View Post
-Well, I think the problem is that the DEVs didn't take it far enough. Trucks are still plentiful and hence there's no need to use APCs as transport on most maps. For APCs to actually become Armored Personnel Carriers a few things have to happen:

Remove other Transport Vehicles
Have APCs with only mounted MGs mostly(No crewman restriction on the MG spot)
Increase the amount of AT rounds for LAT kits(Or increase ammo points in bags or decrease ammo point requirements for AT rounds)
/\ Is exactly what I mean.

Fess|3-5| is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:32 PM   #15
gclark03

Unarmed APCs would be great for gameplay, and give IFVs a reason to exist: becoming the attack helicopters of the land, on maps without tanks.

Are unarmed APCs realistic? No.

So, MG-mounted APCs are the best option.
gclark03 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:47 PM   #16
Ace42
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ace42

I think a few of the problems are: No firing through port-holes (IIRC you can shoot out of most IFVs through gun ports?) make having it full manned is not as useful as it could be; Having an APC in your squad means -1 (2 for guns?) infantry man in your squad, and it pulls the APC off duty with other squads; no commanders in publics co-ordinating pick-up / drop-off efforts; very few "locked squad" APCs, so you often end up with BOTH APCs in one armoured squad, which inevitably leads to buddying up with indestructible autocannon-of-death slaughterers.
Ace42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:37 AM   #17
Cobhris

The only reason the stryker is closer to the infantry on Qwai is because he needs the HAT guy to protect him from the PLA armored units. But no one wants to ride in the APC on either side because it's too dangerous; with all the TOWs and tanks driving around, an APC is a coffin on wheels. Once you get close to the frontline, you're safer on foot, where at least you can hide in a ditch. On Jabal, people use the Stryker as a mobile armored .50 cal because the only major threat to it is a BRDM that is roughly equal to the Stryker in firepower (and is used in about the same way).

On Muttrah however, I see the most teamwork between APCs and grunts. Grunts use the APC to land, and set up a base. Then they push forward, APC rapes everything in the open, grunts mop up any survivors.

Maybe you'd see more teamwork if inf and APCs were in the same squad more often. Mechanized squads with 4 troops and 2 crew tend to keep the IFV/APC nearby for transport and heavy support.

The Soviets may have only gotten as far as East Germany, but they took the rest of the continent without firing a single shot.

NObama 2012!
Cobhris is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:46 AM   #18
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Another major reason APC is not critical as transport is because most maps are 2km (and some 1km). So walking is still an option.

Hopefully v0.9 we can have more maps that walking is not a very pleasant option, ala kashan and qinling, albeit on those maps you have alot less infantry due to heavy assets used.
fuzzhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:39 AM   #19
[R-DEV]Rudd
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fess|3-5| View Post

Suggested Replacements (inb4gomodelityerself)
  • USMC - AAVP7A1
  • BAF - FV432 'Bulldog'
  • PLA - Type 90 APC

or

Bring back Light transports and multi-seated trucks.
I would not oppose some phasing in of the above APCs, as they are used irl etc.

Complete removal of the LAV/warrior etc should not happen as they are realistic assets. We cannot mod players.

Light transports = yay

Trucks = nay I've made a thread about 'trucker madness' already.

Quote:
-Well, I think the problem is that the DEVs didn't take it far enough.
That is true as well I think, the number of trans trucks is rather incredible.

[R-DEV]Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:05 AM   #20
Majorpain

The problem is not so much that APC are raping everything, but Infantry are way to weak against them.

Every squad would IRL (dragging that in!) have several LAW's that would rape any APC in its path.

How about dropping the LAT from selectable kit and adding it in underneath the unscoped rifleman with 6 mags and no extra ammo? If infantry squads actually tended to carry AT weapons then APC's would think twice about running around like a headless chicken.
Majorpain is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
apc, change