project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
21 Feb 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #11
Salah ad Din

Send a message via ICQ to Salah ad Din Send a message via AIM to Salah ad Din Send a message via MSN to Salah ad Din Send a message via Skype™ to Salah ad Din
Default Re: Implementing RADAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS_117 View Post
YouTube - TRtest

You can see at 1:00 sort of got the radar working. The blips you have there are at about 400m away IIRC. It has a 2.5km range and shows a top down view of the area around you. We had the option of either giving it a 360 degree scan angle like in reality, or having a 100 degree angle except the motion is slaved to the gunners missile/gun camera. After getting completely confused with the gun in one direction and the radar in another, we went with the latter. The good news is that it works entirely on a line of sight basis so if you drive behind a hill, the radar can't see you. Makes the Anti Air war pretty interesting now.
eh, how did you do that?

Salah ad Din is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #12
CAS_117

Idk. Conspiracy?
CAS_117 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #13
PR.IT Stek_WAR

I think that can not accept because I think it is also unrealistic

My grandfather used to say: you were born in Italy and you will die in Italy
PR.IT Stek_WAR is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #14
luckyhendrix

No radar ain't a good solution, IRL very few and only the most advanced helo have air-to-air radar (even no radar at all).Beside that shot range missile like AIM-9,R73,stinger and strela ar IR missiles , they are very few aircraft equiped with device able to spot IR missile effectively!

I think are more realistic thing would be of having no warning at all ( at least on helo , it could be different with airplanes ). But pilots would have more flares (around : 60) if it ain't hardcoded they could launch them 1 at a time (so they could pop little amounts of flares as soon as they enter the danger area, and spam the button if there is a bigger threat ).Also ground fired AA missile should be inefective above certain altitude (IRL:if you're above 1500m you are fairly safe, of course the fastest the plane goes the lower is this safe altitude)

IMHO it would be more realistic that way, pilot would have to learn to pop flare even if they dunno if there is a threat like real helo pilots.

But i think you could keep the lock signal for planes because they tend to fight with radar guidace missile more often. and anyway their speed and altitude should imune them to manpads.
luckyhendrix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #15
Alex6714

Well manpads are way to powerful for what they really are atm, but actually these helicopters do have systems to detect missile launches.

I give the apache as an example, because it is the easiest one to find out about.

In real life british apache longbows are fitted with an air defense suite that will:

- Detect a SAM launch (IR, radar whatever, once the missile is in flight it will be detected)

- Give audio warnings including the direction from which the missile comes

- Dispense automatically (pilot can also) the correct countermeasure, be it flares or chaff etc

- Via audio tell the pilot the maneuvers to take to best evade the missile

Not all helis have it of course, but a whole lot will and at least have similar systems, just you won´t hear about it.

All these videos of Apache gun cams, ever seen a Chinese or Russian one? Who knows how similar their defense systems are.

"Today's forecast calls for 30mm HE rain with a slight chance of hellfires"

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:49 PM   #16
luckyhendrix

I think russian don"t have this kind of system or very few, but it has to be verified.

i agree the apache has good counter-measure system , it must be the same for the cobra.
But i don"t think huey or blackhawk or littlebird does have this kind of device.

Also IRl manpads are uneffective beacause you can fly higher or engage from further , but in BF2 you can't. But for now I think manpads are fairly balanced.
luckyhendrix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #17
Alex6714

Well about the manpads I mean they are too powerful in game.

"Today's forecast calls for 30mm HE rain with a slight chance of hellfires"

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:15 PM   #18
CanuckCommander

So I watched Alex's test videos both of the TR and Apache. I wonder why haven't you guys implemented this stuff. I understand that this would put air assets at a huge advantage over ground because tanks do not have targetting computers yet. But still this would make air assets a lot more realistic since they are quite nerfed right now, totally relying on ground spotters for lasers (except for att helos).

First, the radar was pretty cool, but that was not what I was suggesting because it may be a bit overpowered for PR even though it is realistic. I was suggesting a Air to Air radar instead of a Air to Ground one. It would be simple to implement, just give Aircrafts a dummy missile that can lock-on to targets 360 degrees and give a sound warning tone when enemy aircraft comes into range.

Second, in the Apache Test video, I didn't see anything that SHOULDN"T be implemented right away. For example, the pilot's zoom would be extremely helpful for hydra runs that are extremely CAS. Also, they SALVO fire would be extremely useful too when you need to get off lots of Hydras in a short time to avoid AA missiles.

Lastly, I noticed you guys modeled disco balls onto all (if not most) helicopters. Why not implementing them? Right now, it is almost too easy for insurgents to kill Apaches on Karbala. It is kind of ridiculous. Apaches are usually lost to ground fire not AA missiles.

Btw CAS are you taking a break like rhino?
Last edited by CanuckCommander; 02-14-2009 at 12:24 PM..

Tags
implementing, radar