project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
24 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 11:42 PM   #1
CanuckCommander

Default Increasing the low-effects rendering distance

I play on low/medium graphics . Stock graphics card. I never get around to upgrading my computer and don't really feel like it because I can play PR fine.

Just wondering if DEVs can increase distance at which effects are rendered in the low settings to that of the medium or long ranges.

Right now, I find it hard to range my M203 rounds or rpg rounds with anything past 200m because explosion/smoke doesn't render that far, putting me and people in the same situation as me at a huge disadvantage, even more than not having shadows or anti aliasing just to name a few.

I don't think the distance will hurt performance too much because it is still the rendering same level of effects.
Last edited by CanuckCommander; 01-12-2009 at 03:25 AM..
Old 01-12-2009, 01:17 AM   #2
[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to [R-DEV]OkitaMakoto Send a message via MSN to [R-DEV]OkitaMakoto Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]OkitaMakoto
Default Re: Increasing the low-effects rendering distance

You say you can ply PR fine without upgrading, but then ask us to change the current graphic settings so you arent at a disadvantage?

Sort of conflicting, no?

Heh, just messing... kind of. But honestly you cant ask PR to change a graphical setting so one person doesnt have to upgrade and can get one more frill without doing so. Doing this would cause other users to lag more than theyalready do who might HAVE to have the settings at full low and by bumping up those settings more on them would screw THEM over.

Imo, its just not something we can do... best to leave render settings for stuff like that how they are unless its something easily problematic, like smaller statics disappearing on ALL graphical settings[something we had issues with before]

Hope that made sense
Best to upgrade a bit if youre looking to get more out of PR

"[An intelligence officer is] an instrument of his country, an observer and reporter of information."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:23 AM   #3
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

Little confused by the thread too.

"apcs, like dogs can't look up" - Dr2B Rudd
CodeRedFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:30 AM   #4
[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to [R-DEV]OkitaMakoto Send a message via MSN to [R-DEV]OkitaMakoto Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]OkitaMakoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]CodeRedFox View Post
Little confused by the thread too.
He wants to keep his "Low" settings, but have the DEV Team bump up the distance at which explosions render on the "Low" setting.

So he'd still be using "Low" but he'd be able to see explosions from further out...

"[An intelligence officer is] an instrument of his country, an observer and reporter of information."

Old 01-12-2009, 03:20 AM   #5
CanuckCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]OkitaMakoto View Post
He wants to keep his "Low" settings, but have the DEV Team bump up the distance at which explosions render on the "Low" setting.

So he'd still be using "Low" but he'd be able to see explosions from further out...
Indeed. I understand. I'm not THAT selfish. I was assuming that others have had the same frustration and would step up to support me. The thing about med effects for me is that it works fine if I go inf, but the smoke effects from armor just destoys my frame rate.

I just didn't think small explosions and bullet hits at long distance would tax too much on the computer though. Maybe it's time to upgrade.
CanuckCommander is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:22 AM   #6
sunshine1991
Banned

i got question not related to topic ( didnt want open new )

what the option on video setting is controling the distance of details ( not texture ).
i mean details of solders body ( helmet,some bags)
i found that when you close to solder you see full details of him when he go little more far some of deatails disapear.
what i need to put on high to increess the range of this details
sunshine1991 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:23 AM   #7
[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto
Supporting Member

Well, I have no objection to leaving the thread open in case others agree. I also dont think itd be a huge hit on systems to just up solely the grenade explosion.

But at the same time, its probably best to not start messing with the default graphic setting levels so we dont open up a can of worms

Try reading up here sunshine:
http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_5.html

Ill take a quick look too

Quote:
Geometry: The Geometry setting controls the Level of Detail (LOD) setting for various objects and landscape in the game. The options are Low, Medium and High and for most intents and purposes there is virtually no difference between the three levels. At higher levels certain objects will appear more detailed, such as rounder boulders and more curved landscape (i.e. more polygons visible). More importantly, at the higher levels vehicles will come into view sooner when far away, as more of their details are shown earlier. Obviously performance is better at the lowest level, but the extent of it depends on your system. For the reason that it may help you detect vehicles sooner, you may want to set this to Medium or High.
Think it might be geometry?

Old 01-12-2009, 03:29 AM   #8
[R-DEV]Rudd
Supporting Member

Killing the miltia with MY MIND!

Having low density effects at distance for those of us who sometimes have to use low settings would be nice; not imperative, but nice.

[R-DEV]Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:18 AM   #9
sunshine1991
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]OkitaMakoto View Post
Well, I have no objection to leaving the thread open in case others agree. I also dont think itd be a huge hit on systems to just up solely the grenade explosion.

But at the same time, its probably best to not start messing with the default graphic setting levels so we dont open up a can of worms

Try reading up here sunshine:
TweakGuides.com - Battlefield 2 Tweak Guide

Ill take a quick look too

Think it might be geometry?
thx that a nice guide
sunshine1991 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
distance, increasing, loweffects, rendering