project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
25 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2006, 09:41 PM   #1
six7

Send a message via MSN to six7 Send a message via Skype™ to six7
Exclamation some gameplay issues

i know both of these have already been posted by myself and other in other threads but i thought they were large enough issues to deserve their own thread. the way people spawn needs a drastic overhaul. currently, soldiers spawn directly on or near the flag that they chose to spawn on. this is a problem in a few ways.

1. spawn camping causes many people to be instantly killed at spawn
2. as soon as an enemy spawns when one is trying to capture a flag, the enemy either nade spams you or goes and mows you down
3. it is very unrealistic just sitting there and all of a sudden someone spawns right on top of you

this can be corrected many ways. one way is to make it so that you can only spawn at the main base, but i believe that this will cause flags to be very unimportant and also creat a long delay in getting to the battle. if there was a way to make it so that troops could spawn 50-200m (depending on the size of the map) behind the flag, this could be a good compromise. the benefits are as follows

1. much less spawn camping
2. no more enemies spawning right on top of you and blowing you away when trying to cap flags
3. creats a "reinforcements" affect that would creat a deeper sense of realism
4. when an enemy spawns while you are taking their flag, it makes their appearance seem more like a counter-attack rather than teleportation
5. eliminates the long delay in getting to the front lines
6. retains the importance of capping flags

although it wouldn't work on all maps, many maps could pull it off quite well. another alternative could be to have designated buildings, tents, etc where soldiers could spawn. instead of falling from the sky, soldier could spawn in , say, a barracs, go out the front door, and be ready to fight. these building could be close to flags and allow for upped realism without sacraficing gameplay.

the second issue that needs adressing is the way mounted mgs have a zoom and a crosshair. the problem with this is, besides all the lost realism, that people can just point and kill instantly, no skill involved. the transport has become more of a mobile gun platform than anything. this could balance the abilities of the transport and make it so that players might actually drive it and, maybe, transport people!
</rant>
six7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
Neuromante

As for the spawning, your idea is just half-good. It's good because there will be no more people popping out of nowhere at flags, but it's terrible for spawn camping. People will learn your spawn location and will start to camp there, and it will be even worse than the actual camping, since the camper wouldn't even cap the flag while he sits there shooting at you. Plus it wouldn't give that immersive feeling that my spawning concept gives. :P
As for the mounted MGs I agree they should be changed a bit. We want iron-sights!
Neuromante is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
Szarko

How about not being able to spawn at the front flag? So lets say the USMC team just captured Suburbs, now they can spawn at square but not suburb itself.

This would stop spawnrape really, unless the person's only goal is to spawn rape then he could camp there... But atleast when your attacking you wont have people spawn on top of/ behind you.
Szarko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 05:01 PM   #4
MasterTom
Retired PR Developer

sounds like a flag by flag thingie...

i already made a gamemode like that...

if we were to use it...
we could do what you suggest like this:

i'd suggest changing:
Code:
def onPlayerSpawn(player, soldier):
	player.killed = False
to...
Code:
def onPlayerSpawn(player, soldier):
   NewCPId = cp.getTemplateProperty('ControlPointId')
   if player.getTeam() == 1:
      if NewCPId > g_CPTeam1:
         player.killed = False
   elif player.getTeam() == 2:
      if NewCPiD < g_CPTeam2:
         player.killed = False
it would require controlpointids to be set in a certain order... but ah well... dont wanna get to technical on ya :P

note: this will only work in a flag by flag type of game...
since you want the flags taken in a certain order...
MasterTom is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:22 PM   #5
six7

Send a message via MSN to six7 Send a message via Skype™ to six7

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-PUB]Szarko
How about not being able to spawn at the front flag? So lets say the USMC team just captured Suburbs, now they can spawn at square but not suburb itself.

This would stop spawnrape really, unless the person's only goal is to spawn rape then he could camp there... But atleast when your attacking you wont have people spawn on top of/ behind you.
not a bad idea...
six7 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
gameplay, issues