project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
25 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
CanuckCommander

Default New Animation for Sniper Settle-Time

If this is possible...

Make it so that the middle button plays a animation that wobbles the rifle for 3 seconds (or however long the settle-time) for the sniper is instead of the breath sound that is almost silent in the loud surrounding combat.

The breathing sound is inaudible in the middle of a firefight and radio VOIP chat, so sometimes it is hard for snipers to determine the quickest time to fire. This is vital because the sniper needs to take his shot in the matter of Milliseconds because the target may move at any second.

Just as the scope (while zoomed-in) wobbles during the reload or bolt cycling animation, so the original firing mode selecting switch animation ( middle mouse wheel) can be made into a slight movement with enough sway that simulates the adjustment of the knobs on the scope by the sniper.

This way the sniper has a visual indicator of how long it'll take for the sniper rifle to finally settle and be ready to fire.

edit,

So every time, before you fire, you'd press the middle scroll wheel to see the animation and determine the exact time to fire.
Last edited by CanuckCommander; 10-08-2008 at 06:00 PM..
Old 10-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
Caboosehatesbabies

Default Re: New Animation for Sniper Settle-Time

One onethousand, two onethousand, three onethousand, four onethousand, five onethousand, six onethousand, seven onethousand, eight onethousand BANG! Shorter for closer.

Not that hard.

Everyone wants to easily kill their opponent but nobody wants to be the one easily killed. That line of thinking escalates weaponry to the point where practically every soldier has a shoulder-mounted nuke launcher that when fired, automatically displays the text "pwnt".- [R-CON]Wolfe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Caboosehatesbabies is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
CanuckCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caboosehatesbabies View Post
One onethousand, two onethousand, three onethousand, four onethousand, five onethousand, six onethousand, seven onethousand, eight onethousand BANG! Shorter for closer.

Not that hard.
So i'm guessing you don't need a clock or a watch because you count every second of your day? lol

Wut time is it? Its 213124143 onethousand!

What I am suggesting is accurate visual feedback, which you have in RL because you are operating a rifle with your hands, not a mouse or keyboard, or counting with your mouth, or inside your head.
CanuckCommander is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
Caboosehatesbabies

Dude, if you count 8 seconds relatively accurately, that's your problem.

Everyone wants to easily kill their opponent but nobody wants to be the one easily killed. That line of thinking escalates weaponry to the point where practically every soldier has a shoulder-mounted nuke launcher that when fired, automatically displays the text "pwnt".- [R-CON]Wolfe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
[R-DEV]Rudd
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Given that deviation is a ingame phenomena to simulate realistic handling of weaponry, I'd like some kinda of deviation indicator for most weapons in PR, but I don't think I'd like my scope to shake until the max accuracy is reached as this takes away options for when you need to fire early.
Quote:
So i'm guessing you don't need a clock or a watch because you count every second of your day? lol
good analogy especially given the concentration given to actually aiming and shooting people and the excitement of the game, Caboosehatesbabies you didnt need to be quite so scathing

Very busy IRL at this time, do not be suprised if I don't reply to PMs for prolonged periods.
[R-DEV]Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
Zegel

I see a lot of kinda childish arguments stem out of this discussion. I for one am highly pro-HAT-parenthesis for the infantry. I'd like to see it have a minimal impact on the HUD, maybe on the bottom or in a corner, but eh.

Bottom line, with new deviation changes, there will be more counting in long range shots. For snipers especially. This paves the way for maybe those determined to think of it as a skill to time those shots. But it can simply not be argued against some of us seeing the use of some sort of alternative indicator to show how comfortable the soldier feels making the shot.

And I'm sorry, but counting just ain't cutting it. And I'm kind of disappointed that in all my browsing, I haven't seen any comment, nudge, or wink from a dev in response to it. Which is crazy, cause half the threads I see end up touching on this topic.
Zegel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:38 PM   #7
Caboosehatesbabies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr2B Rudd View Post
good analogy especially given the concentration given to actually aiming and shooting people and the excitement of the game, Caboosehatesbabies you didnt need to be quite so scathing
If you're distracted by stuff going on around you, you shouldn't be shooting your sniper rifle, you should be moving to a quieter, more secure location.

If you don't like counting try this,

"Blessed be the Lord, my strength, who teaches my hands for war and my fingers to fight. My goodness, my fortress, my hightower, and my deliverer. My shield and he in whom I trust."

Should take you about 8 seconds too.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
[R-DEV]Rudd
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
If you're distracted by stuff going on around you, you shouldn't be shooting your sniper rifle, you should be moving to a quieter, more secure location.
I'm glad everything goes to plan in your world

Very busy IRL at this time, do not be suprised if I don't reply to PMs for prolonged periods.
[R-DEV]Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #9
Zegel

Dude, I don't even want to argue about it anymore.

Caboose, that was awesome. Long live Barry Pepper.

I take that back, I do want to argue some more. In that scene from Saving Private Ryan, if you'll watch, very, very closely, you just might see that the sniper in the bell tower, as he's whispering that Psalm actually SHOOTS like five different guys before he finishes saying the prayer.

Hm. Interesting.
Zegel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:36 PM   #10
CanuckCommander

Quote:

If you don't like counting try this,

"Blessed be the Lord, my strength, who teaches my hands for war and my fingers to fight. My goodness, my fortress, my hightower, and my deliverer. My shield and he in whom I trust."

Should take you about 8 seconds too.
Lmao that is awesome. Now we need something for the MEC or Chinese or INS...etc. to say. Yea I know the actually gamers say this, but still...not everyone is christian.

I propose for the insurgents "Allah Ackbar....." something that is 8 seconds.
CanuckCommander is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
animation, settletime, sniper