project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
20 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #11
Celestial1
Default Re: Laser Targeting, and IR Chem Lites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Alex6714 View Post
Would be useful to mark friendly positions aswell if the lock doesn´t get confused.
I'm pretty sure a Strobe-IR could be implemented simply by marking the dropped item with the [X] AA lock symbol, used for friendly air vehicles (Have your buddy hop in a blackhawk, and you in an apache/cobra/etc and look at their chopper with AA missles equipped. You'll see the symbol I'm talking about) In no way would it 'follow' friendlies, but a heavily defended position could be marked as 'safe'.

That kind of IR-signal could be used in the engineers arsenal, as well. Who knows where you would fit it in some cases, but... who knows.

This thread is mainly for discussion and creative-suggestioning because I doubt that IR Chemlites would be extremely effective compared to the current magic GLTD laser, that sticks to things without you keeping the mark on them. They might be more useful when the target is close by, but cannot be directly lased.

If the GLTD was proper, or that it could just be useful, then by all means.

(Feel no obligation to discussing only my IR Chemlites; as I have suggested an alternative for Strobe-IR, feel free to discuss how that might work in code.)
Celestial1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #12
Cptkanito

Send a message via MSN to Cptkanito

I love the idea, it would give a bit more teamwork between the helicopter transport/jet/chopper squads and the squad leaders if you ask me...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cptkanito is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #13
Celestial1

That's what I had hoped. Honestly, the power of TeamSpeak with other squadleaders (especially ground squads when in CAS) will never be overcome.

However, in helicopters, it will become MUCH easier to see the layout of friendlies. Anyone looking NOT to get hit should probably make sure he has an IR-Strobe handy (granted, it'd likely be one-time-use and therefore it might be a good idea to either make it automatically reload after the first marker disappears, or give the equipped soldier many of them.
Celestial1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #14
HughJass

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtSoucy View Post
Chem Lights cant be done due to the fact that the Battlefield 2 engine does not allow Dynamic Lighting. Its the reason we cant have headlights and flashlights on are rifles.
saucy you really have to read posts before you start yelling hard coded like some expert.

Anyway the idea is solid, I like it and was wondering about it myself. Nice post

HughJass is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:11 PM   #15
Teek
Supporting Member

IRL, Frendly positions are typically marked by IR reflectors or strobes/beacons. IR isnt a locking system, merely an optical one that you can see very easily in NVGs and FLIR cameras (Air to air Excluded). If the other side had the same capability, I dont know it if would be used.

Teek is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:36 AM   #16
TF6049

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Alex6714 View Post
Would be useful to mark friendly positions aswell if the lock doesn´t get confused.
Yeah, this way the enemy couldn't see where you were unless they brought in an aircraft or AA of their own during a pickup.

"Make sure that: Suppression effect works when bullets hit penetrable metal feces too"

A funny typo by Sgt. Smeg
TF6049 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:54 AM   #17
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

eh, i dont think missiles would be able to lock onto something of that sort, if i do recall these IR chem lights are only meant for marking things for troops with NVGs. i've also seen a documentary of canadian snipers using them as trip lights, where a tripwire would set it off and alert the spotter
Bringerof_D is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:50 AM   #18
@bsurd

Nice idea to give the engi something to mark enemy or friendly targets.

And it would be great to get the hellfire able to lock on it. This would push cas in a much greater way as it is now...

And the engi had great new equipment for the loose of its c4 ...

@bsurd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:39 AM   #19
General Dragosh

Send a message via MSN to General Dragosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo_ii View Post
I like the idea. It would act like the molotov, sticking to vehicles and being thrown like a grenade, and bombs and laser-guided missile can lock onto it, and it lasts maybe two minutes.

These would probably only be given to spec ops and officers, but the problem is that both of these kits already have nine objects. With officers, I suppose we could replace green smoke with the signal smoke and have the chem-lite be in the nine slot, but for spec ops, we have a serious problem.
give to engies

Newly ordered sig !
General Dragosh is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #20
Harrod200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial1 View Post
I'm pretty sure a Strobe-IR could be implemented simply by marking the dropped item with the [X] AA lock symbol, used for friendly air vehicles (Have your buddy hop in a blackhawk, and you in an apache/cobra/etc and look at their chopper with AA missles equipped. You'll see the symbol I'm talking about) In no way would it 'follow' friendlies, but a heavily defended position could be marked as 'safe'.
See that I like. Could also be used to help guide in friendly CAS;

"Enemy 200m north of my position!"
*drops beacon*
You are lit up to the heli as a friendly, who can then see which direction you're meaning.

Also adding such a device to Bunkers & FB's would be GREAT; at least once I've heard a gunner say "I almost hellfire'd your FB" cos they didn't know whose it was (you can open the map, but that takes time).

Only problem is, IR is IR, so anything you drop is visible to the enemy too.

The original gun freak gaymer geek

Harrod200 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
chem, laser, lites, targeting