project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
26 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
LCPL-Southern[16AA]
Send a message via ICQ to LCPL-Southern[16AA] Send a message via MSN to LCPL-Southern[16AA]
Default Class restrictions and Capture times.

Ok, so I've been playing PRMM for a while now and figured I would make a couple of suggestions. I apologise if these have been said before but here goes...

Class restrictions:

Is it just me that thinks that its a little daft that every man and his dog can be a combat medic?

I know its possible to restrict the numbers of specific classes because I have done it previously. My solution was rough, ready and not very delicate but it did work (mostly). It would be great to see a limit to all classes to encourage more balanced game play.

Control Point capture times:

I personally think (and this may be controversial) that the capture times for a control point should be asymetric. It should take next to no time to knock a flag point down zero once you have killed everyone in it, but a long time to bring it back up to your own teams control. This is probably just a pet gripe I have that I can be 95% to taking a flag and have some bastard spawn standing over me. Its a little frustrating. When I have killed every SOB for 5 miles around I rather expect that to be considered enough to make the base at least neutral. For someone to materialise in an advantageous position over me 15minutes later because I STILL haven't officially captured the flag and stop me taking the control point is annoying.

Cheers for your time...
LCPL-Southern[16AA] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:59 PM   #2
BrokenArrow
Retired PR Developer

Welcome to the forums!

I tend to agree with you on both issues. It is annoying to be getting hit with MG fire from so many directions it seems everyone on the opposing team is a support class. Same with having medics be able to heal themselves or continuously heal their teammates. Once all the sniper classes are brought back up to par this could be an issue with the sniper class as well.

Also I would rather see near instantaneous caps of flags if there are no enemies in the area (so it becomes more of controlling an area than controlling a flagpole).

Good points and welcome again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BrokenArrow is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:52 PM   #3
Cerberus

Class restrictions FTW

"Practice proves more than theory, in any case."
- Abraham Lincoln

"i so regret searching "giant hentai penis" on google images though ;_;"
- Garabaldi
Cerberus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:56 PM   #4
DangChang

Somone has stated before that class restrictions was not possible thanks to EA's coding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DangChang is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:20 PM   #5
Cerberus

But the man claims he's done it! By golly, the boy's onto something!

"Practice proves more than theory, in any case."
- Abraham Lincoln

"i so regret searching "giant hentai penis" on google images though ;_;"
- Garabaldi
Cerberus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:53 AM   #6
NikovK
Retired PR Developer

I like the notion of fast to claim, slow to secure as a gameplay element. It would encourage players to stick around and "consolidate", maybe even fend off another wave of attackers, before returning to the offensive.

Whenever RtKN's issues are resolved, I'll see what I can do in that respect.

Mapper of Road to Kyongan'Ni and Hills of Hamgyong;
Genius behind many Really Stupid Ideas, and some Decent Ones.

NikovK is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:01 AM   #7
eggman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

CP capture times in PR are purposely long. They are faster with more people and the intent is that if you don't want to get spawned upon you need 3 or 4 people to capture a flag. This should not be difficult with AAS.

Class limits are a bit trickier. BF2 doesn't *easily* provide a way to handle this *gracefully*. You can do stuff like issue warnings to players and kill or ban them if they spawn a disallowed class (assuming you've written the class limiting / balancing code yourself cuz BF2 has none).

Aside from the effort required by mod developers, there's always the folks who get pissed off because some n00b has spawned the last avaialble sniper rifle. If you add in "rank" requirements to validate that the guy has played the game before, then you get into points whoring.

We're still trying to figure out how to implement it and, more importantly, what we can / should implement within the constraints of good gameplay and the BF2 engine.

egg

Cheers!
egg

eggman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:28 AM   #8
LCPL-Southern[16AA]
Send a message via ICQ to LCPL-Southern[16AA] Send a message via MSN to LCPL-Southern[16AA]

Yeah, it isnt graceful. I did it by checking classes on spawn and forcing a zero spawntime respawn if a class was chosen which was maxed out. I also had to fiddle with the score so that forced deaths didnt count. I had also removed the ability to pick up kits because that annoyed me too and coding around this was pretty tricky. I figured you don't become a trained medic just because you can pick up a bandage and justified my lazyness like this.

Last time I checked (its been about 8months since I did all this) there was no way to message individual players and so you basically had to spam the chat channel with messages informing your entire team what kits were available at that time.

I mentioned it wasn't very graceful right?

I never mastered editing the HUD, something you seem much better at, so I don't know if it is possible to show something like this on the respawn screen somewhere.

edit: Does anyone know how I can change my user name? I haven't been a Lance Corporal for a long time now
LCPL-Southern[16AA] is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
capture, class, restrictions, times