project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
20 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2008, 06:06 AM   #1
Expatriate Gamer
Default Just wondering how sniper friendly PR is

I've watched over 20 Project Reality videos but not one was a sniping video. I love sniping, I am ranked 65 in the world with the Morretti in Battlefield 2142. Sniper kit is all I use ever... I was just wondering if you guys had anything special for snipers... like realistic ghille suits... and stuff
Expatriate Gamer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
[R-DEV]Spec
Lead Forum Moderator

Default Re: Just wondering how sniper friendly PR is

Is PR sniper friendly?
Short answer: No.
Long answer: It's all about teamwork. Snipers can be very effective at tracking enemy movement and taking out priority targets, but if you just want to grab a sniper kit and start killing random troops, you're probably going to get kicked out of any good squad.
Why?
Well, snipers and special forces in PR are often requested by players who dont intend to use teamwork. In an regular infantry squad, or even vehicle squad, snipers are just not needed.

That doesnt mean you cant be a sniper in PR. But you need a good squad and good commander to do so.

Never ever join a normal squad and request a sniper kit. This will get you kicked from the squad. The best thing is to make an own squad with a few buddies, have a plan and work hand in hand with the commander. Make sure to have a spotter and maybe a seconds sniper/spotter team in the squad, perhaps you can even include a heavy anti tank unit. Then you will be a good tool for the commander.

But if you want to go out and kill people, select a Rifleman kit and stick with the squad.
[R-DEV]Spec is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:15 AM   #3
Feenan.

Well i cant speak for 0.8 which (fingers crossed) is imminent but in 0.75 opinions vary on the effectiveness of the sniper kit. For a start the majortiy of foliage dosnt draw at distance making the ghillie suit pretty useless and depending on which rifle your using the deviation varies quite alot. I wouldnt worry though cos 0.8 should fix alot of things.
Feenan. is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
Pride
Retired PR Developer

Snipers in PR are used more more Recon than killing.

The only way to be a good sniper is to hide somewhere where you can observe enemy troop movements and report them to the commander via VOIP. You should only ever fire off a few rounds each match, to take out important things like gunners on .50 cals etc.

Because if you try and shoot too often, the enemy will quickly work out your location, and kill you, at which point you have to wait 10 minutes or so for your sniper kit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eddie: the MoD aren't just going to start blurring their faces so they look 'well ard' are they?
Pride is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:18 AM   #5
[R-DEV]Spec
Lead Forum Moderator

Oh, yes, the deviation is a problem right now too. It takes you a good 3 seconds of no mouse movement till you are really accurate, but that'll be fixed in the 0.8 version which will be released soon.
[R-DEV]Spec is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:20 AM   #6
vilhelm123

Snipers in pr work completely different to most other games. If you just try to play lonewolf uberl33t you are likely to quickly find yourself catching enemy bullets with your face. Snipers in pr are expected to work with a spotter as recon element first sharpshooters second as they do in real life. So the name of the game is sneaking around gathering Intel for your team (e.g. enemy tanks trying to flank the team) rather than owning those n00bs.

Lots of love
Vilhelm xx
vilhelm123 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:26 AM   #7
Chanvlan

ok ok guys thats enuf flaming lets not make the guy run away from PR, listen mate PR is a great game but you jsut gotta understand that it is alot different from the original BF2 and not many people around here like people who use the sniper kit and think they are 1337. Now maybe you are, but just learn to play the game first and then when you have learnt the game and the ways of it then go grab the sniper kit and try and do the real life stuff with the sniper.

Ok i think everyone should stop flaming this guy now, he gets the point.

Mod should lock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mod DB's Modcast: Guy: So what new things will be in Future PR releases.
Katarn: Fastropes, yeh fast ropes, and you can shoot while your on the ropes.
Chanvlan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:29 AM   #8
Outlawz7
Retired PR Developer

Said simply, only fire when you have a 120% good shot on something and change location everyone once in a while.

If you go sit on top of the biggest hill on the map and fire down like an idiot you won't kill anything and you'll just give away your position to everyone on the server.

Originally Posted by whatshisname55:
"Ah yes, that link to your hard drive is working perfectly."
Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:54 AM   #9
Emnyron
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatriate Gamer View Post
I've watched over 20 Project Reality videos but not one was a sniping video. I love sniping, I am ranked 65 in the world with the Morretti in Battlefield 2142. Sniper kit is all I use ever... I was just wondering if you guys had anything special for snipers... like realistic ghille suits... and stuff
I think Ive made my point.

We kindly request that you die a pencil lodged in your eye socket.

-[R-DEV]Gaz

Emnyron is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:27 PM   #10
charliegrs

Send a message via AIM to charliegrs Send a message via Yahoo to charliegrs

everyone forget to mention that the sniper kit is extremely limited. its either 1 or 2 kits per team depending on how big the team is. so if your love in life is sniping your gonna have a hard time with PR because just getting the kit can be difficult sometimes. the sniper has its place in the game like mentioned in the previous posts, its just not the way your probably used to. i dont use the kit often, but when i do i probably only fire my gun a handful of times. if your a good sniper in PR, your probably using your radio more as a weapon than the rifle.

what i would suggest however, is using the marksman kit instead. its considered a much more valuable kit to a squad, since you still have to stick with your squad because of its shorter range optics. but its a more accurate rifle, and youl be using it more often so maybe thats more your cup of tea.

known in-game as BOOMSNAPP
'
charliegrs is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
friendly, sniper, wondering