project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
25 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
markonymous

Default Anti-Aircraft systems vulnerable when locking on target.

I think the Anti aircraft systems that are guided by radar in game should get an automatic lock-on square on them when they are locking on to an aircraft since in real-life AAs are countered in this way. When they lock on to aircraft they send out a radar signal that can be traced by missiles destroyed. This could make AA drivers think a little more then simply pointing at the sky and clicking. It might be a stupid suggestion idk discuss.

Btw i did search but i was at a loss what exactly to search for to find it so if its been suggested before i do apologize.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markonymous is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
Truism
Default Re: Anti-Aircraft systems vulnerable when locking on target.

I'm more in favour of putting anti-radiation missles in PR and giving ground based radars the ability to switch off like aircraft can do. It's something that's been sorely missing from most reality based games I've played, and there's nothing similar at all in any BF2 mod (with the possible exception of the cruise missile in AIX, but you can't untarget yourself from that). This is significant because it would be a very marketable asset that would further set PR apart and get new players in. I for one was attracted to PR, in part, by hopes of reliving the days of intense DC dogfighting and ground attack missions, and I know the former DC community is large and still very much looking for a new game to take to (F:FoW being the massive letdown it was to us).

I really think some anti-rad assets would add tactical depth to the game, but having said this, aircraft are probably already a little on the hard side to counter from the ground. I propose extending the lock-on range of SAM systems and including anti-rad missiles to counter it.
Truism is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
azreal64
Send a message via Yahoo to azreal64

I agree. Anti-radiation missiles on something like the F16 would be awesome. And maybe give the AA gunners two modes: Unguided and Radar-Guided.

Retired Forgotten Hope 2 Developer
azreal64 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
markonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by azreal64 View Post
I agree. Anti-radiation missiles on something like the F16 would be awesome. And maybe give the AA gunners two modes: Unguided and Radar-Guided.
what would the unguided do?

also i meant to write anti-radiation missiles in there somewhere but i guess i forgot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markonymous is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:49 PM   #5
Truism

Perhaps rather than unguided, give them a passive radar mode - where they are able to acquire and lock on to targets using active radar (such as planes with missles armed). I don't know, maybe this is silly...

Also, when I said anti-rad missiles, I meant the fire and forget, parachute deploying, long loiter time ones for the aircraft.
Last edited by Truism; 08-13-2008 at 11:55 PM..
Old 07-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
mat552

I know this is old, but I'd love to hear if it would be feasible. It'd be awesome in my opinion to replace the bombs on the F16 and replace them with the HARM or something. (Or have both)

Players might be hardcoded, but that sure doesn't seem to stop anybody from trying.

Any gamemode in which one team is guaranteed victory by not spawning is a bad gamemode, fix Insurgency.
mat552 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:40 AM   #7
wookimonsta
Supporting Member

i know that 21cw had their aa set up that you could switch between unguided and guided missles. when you fired unguided, you were invisible to the enemy, when you had the guided on, the pilots could get a lock on you.
wookimonsta is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
BlackMagikz

Send a message via MSN to BlackMagikz

yeah , RADAR locking missiles would be nice . Cause the current AA system sucks balls ( no offense to DEVS) , after all a Gaskin would comfortable take out helicopters , but Jets would be the only ones that would stand a very good chance of evading missiles. From my experience of seeing a Gaskin fire 4 missiles and CAS huey coming towards it and not a starch, so yeah kinda not reality .

R-DEV Ninja2Dan
BlackMagikz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #9
bondsan

i always thought the missiles were heat seaking cos the planes drop flares to counter not chaf !
bondsan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #10
jbgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagikz View Post
yeah , RADAR locking missiles would be nice . Cause the current AA system sucks balls ( no offense to DEVS) , after all a Gaskin would comfortable take out helicopters , but Jets would be the only ones that would stand a very good chance of evading missiles. From my experience of seeing a Gaskin fire 4 missiles and CAS huey coming towards it and not a starch, so yeah kinda not reality .
Agree, gaskin suck balls. You could at least up the ante by replacing it with the strela-10. EDIT: or the SA8 Osa/Gecko, which uses radar guided missiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondsan View Post
i always thought the missiles were heat seaking cos the planes drop flares to counter not chaf !
And yeah, they are heatseeking. AFAIK both Gaskin and Avenger (stinger) missiles are infra-red. However the missiles on the British AA and the chinese AA are radar guided.

Live by the sword, die by the sword...

Ingame:G-LockCobra

Last edited by jbgeezer; 07-16-2009 at 06:13 PM..

Tags
antiaircraft, locking, systems, target, vulnerable