project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
20 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
EON_MagicMan

Default GloryHoundz Steel Thunder Server-Side Suggestion

I'd like to bring up the idea of losing the Jeeps in the 16-player version (Kind of like vehicles were removed from Oasis).

Any real squad player knows that having the jeeps is a bad idea, because it:

a)Splits up the squad (considering the Jeeps have 3 slots)
b)Attacking squads have little chance to defend against them, and if there is poor/no defense, they have to turn tail just to keep those 1-3 guys from capping the base behind you!

I know it's fast, and handy, but seriously, the real battles aren't when one side's choked up on either bridge. The real battles are in that large forested area on the east side of the map!

Because of Jeeps, one side often finds away to cap both bases pretty soon in the map, and from there on, it is very difficult to swim/cross the bridge to recap.

I'd rather that if a team snuck by, they would do it on foot, forcing squads to move in lines.

I had a very fun game yesterday, when me and the whole squad led by 00SoldierofFortune00 were being stocked by a whole enemy squad as we snuck by. The fight carried on to the rear flank of their base, with us moving, yet still firing back at them and using smoke for cover, and them chasing us.

Eventually, things went to hell and they got our squad.

What does everybody think? I really think Jeeps make those oh-so-fun battles in the forest rarer, and they generally force the fighting to a slaughter on the bridge-- it's not fun to be on the giving end or the receiving end.

PLEASE CONSIDER THIS SUGGESTION!

I'm sure myself and others would greatly appreciate it! The map is SO good already, but often times, the battle sucks just because 2 guys snuck through on a Jeep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EON_MagicMan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:33 PM   #2
Wesh

I think the jeeps should stay there.

It makes the game a bit more fast paced imo. And people can make suprise attacks etc.

And hearing a vehicle while running around in the forest, gives you sorta; get down! incoming vehicle thingy. It's cool

But yeah, it can split up squads. But don't forget not everyone is in a squad. And if you have a bit more organized squad. People just agree not to use them, or arrange that 3 guys drive to there or that flag etc. and meet up!

But a bit off topic: Oh yeah I was with ya there together with 00soldieroffortune00 :P Never ever I've had such a nice time in a game before like yesterday! GG ! Hope to play with ya again.

(|US|Wesh) <- ingame name
Wesh is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:38 PM   #3
EON_MagicMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesh
It's makes the game a bit more fast paced imo. And people can make suprise attacks etc.
It's only really fast paced in the way that the game ends quickly, because a jeep got by those sweeping the forest. Nobody's going to carry a SRAW to stop them, and you aren't guaranteed to shoot the driver out.

As for surprise attacks-- how's a flank sound? Or lying down in the grass, waiting in ambush?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:38 PM   #4
RikiRude
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via AIM to RikiRude Send a message via MSN to RikiRude

maybe just up the spawn times on the vehicles, or have less of them.

i do agree the best battles are in the forrest.

but i wouldnt mind seeing all vehicles gone.

Proud n00b tub3r of 5 spam bots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]2Slick4U
That's like being the smartest kid with down syndrome.
RikiRude is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:53 PM   #5
Cerberus

I'd rather have the transports (HMMWVs and vans) on Steel Thunder than FAVs and buggies.

"Practice proves more than theory, in any case."
- Abraham Lincoln

"i so regret searching "giant hentai penis" on google images though ;_;"
- Garabaldi
Cerberus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:02 PM   #6
Wesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by EON_MagicMan
It's only really fast paced in the way that the game ends quickly, because a jeep got by those sweeping the forest. Nobody's going to carry a SRAW to stop them, and you aren't guaranteed to shoot the driver out.

As for surprise attacks-- how's a flank sound? Or lying down in the grass, waiting in ambush?

I don't think the vehicles are as strong as you make them
Imo what it takes is a lot bullets going through the air and then you have it. Also consider using the grenade launcher from assault (smoke as cover, hidding). Acutally as i see it, the infantry definitely has an advantage when running in the forest against a jeep. - But ok maybe I havn't met a skilled/wise jeep squad? You can show me!

But hell yeah. I like going on foot in the forest together with your squad. But I like variances. As i wrote before, love when you suddenly can hear a jeep driving around , could be a boat as well when you're close to water.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:10 PM   #7
EON_MagicMan

Okay, I just got off playing that map. I actually quit in frustration, because, of course, the map starts, our squad (Chinese) takes the boat to the Dam outpost, another few scattered guys take the Jeep through the forest.

Enemy team takes a couple of Jeeps to our base. Of course, surely, our Jeep passes their Jeep in the forest, and it's a race to the spawn point. They beat us, it takes 5 minutes for my idiot squad to realize while I'm trying to type and head back through the forest, because although a message pops up, they don't speak chinese.

I get popped, spawn at the original base, and get capped again, by someone who is already there.

If this is fun, then FINE, enjoy your jeeps.

Taking them out would force people to hoof it through the forest, and have a head on conflict, in the forest, rather than just driving by eachother and giving eachother the finger.

*EDIT* Players are always going to be stupid, not wait and defend, and so the battle is going to be ruined pretty quickly. Force them into a fun situation, where the best tactics and combat skills win, not just the best racer.

I've made some helpful diagrams :P

I would also advocate either letting both teams start with two bases, or have both teams only start with one.

Last edited by EON_MagicMan; 03-02-2006 at 05:21 PM..
Old 03-02-2006, 05:18 PM   #8
Wesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus
I'd rather have the transports (HMMWVs and vans) on Steel Thunder than FAVs and buggies.
I don't know about that.
That could be 4 guys travling easy towards the enemy flag. Making it easy to avoid these populair and fun foot 2 foot combat in the forest. And make an easy ambush on base.

BUT YES I know it is only 1 more. But i do think it is 1 too much.

Think about it; 2 guys more = full squad behind enemy base.
I like it better with 3 guys more = full squad behind enemy base

Old 03-02-2006, 05:29 PM   #9
EON_MagicMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesh
I don't think the vehicles are as strong as you make them
Imo what it takes is a lot bullets going through the air and then you have it. Also consider using the grenade launcher from assault (smoke as cover, hidding). Acutally as i see it, the infantry definitely has an advantage when running in the forest against a jeep. - But ok maybe I havn't met a skilled/wise jeep squad? You can show me!

But hell yeah. I like going on foot in the forest together with your squad. But I like variances. As i wrote before, love when you suddenly can hear a jeep driving around , could be a boat as well when you're close to water.

I'm not saying that jeeps kill you or anything-- in fact, they try not to engage you. IT leaves an assaulting infantry squad helpless to stop them, and most leaders are too stubborn to head back to the base to stop them.

Not to mention, two oncoming jeeps never stop, but rather, just drive past eachother.

More often than not, this map is just a big race-- once you're pushed past that bridge, it's pretty much over. Only once or twice have I ever overcome that with the squad.

Old 03-02-2006, 05:36 PM   #10
Wesh

Nice diagrams

I do get your point. But hopefully and I don't think people will always be 'stupid' all the time. And if you are in a nice server with nice people and with people who have a bit skill, and lets say, a bit organized with a commander etc.

There IS gonna be people defending and people not passing by each other.

I don't like the idea of this "safeness" in your pocket while trying to fight and move towards the enemy's base. I like that the enemy acutally can make a turning point in the fight.

But yes what you just experienced sounds a bit fooked It's sad.

Tags
gloryhoundz, serverside, steel, suggestion, thunder