project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
22 Aug 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 01:29 AM   #11
DeadboyUSMC

Default Re: Supression effect on vehicles

Meh. The suppression effect itself isn't realistic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

America is not at war. The American military is at war. America is at the mall.
DeadboyUSMC is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:25 AM   #12
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr2B Rudd View Post
lol chuck

Agree at least for Gunners, not so much for drivers (unless deemed realistic...but I wouldn't think the Driver would be trying to hide under the steering wheel while trying to perform evasive manouvres)
ussualy they floor the gas or floor the brakes and then hide under the steering wheel
Bringerof_D is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:46 AM   #13
[R-DEV]Thermis
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadboyUSMC View Post
Meh. The suppression effect itself isn't realistic.
It may not be realistic but it forces player to get there heads down while being shot at. And its very realistic to get your head down while being shot at.
[R-DEV]Thermis is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:59 AM   #14
Chanvlan

yeh its kinda unfair becasue then all you gotta do is hit the vichle with a bullet everynow and then and it will just be a useless lump

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mod DB's Modcast: Guy: So what new things will be in Future PR releases.
Katarn: Fastropes, yeh fast ropes, and you can shoot while your on the ropes.
Chanvlan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:14 AM   #15
[R-DEV]Thermis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanvlan View Post
yeh its kinda unfair becasue then all you gotta do is hit the vichle with a bullet everynow and then and it will just be a useless lump
I agree with that too. Not sure if this possible but maybe if you could get it only to trigger suppression on a vehicle if there a certain volume of fire hitting it. Like a SAW or an entire squad opens up on it. So you sing lonely soldier wont be able to trigger it.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:50 PM   #16
DeadboyUSMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermis View Post
It may not be realistic but it forces player to get there heads down while being shot at. And its very realistic to get your head down while being shot at.
From what I've encountered, all it forces players to do is unload in the direction they think the enemy fire is coming from.

Also, taking cover/ finding concealment is burned into the minds of every soldier and Marine. But, given the tactical situation, soldiers and Marines can overcome or manage their fear (Marines usually just get pissed off) and continue the mission, and not shit their pants anytime a stray rounds impacts the dirt 5 feet away. I realize that the suppression effect is the current analogy for the "fear of death", but if every infantryman in any nation's armed forces freaked out anytime a few rounds came their way...

Old 08-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #17
[R-DEV]Thermis

Quote:
Also, taking cover/ finding concealment is burned into the minds of every soldier and Marine. But, given the tactical situation, soldiers and Marines can overcome or manage their fear (Marines usually just get pissed off) and continue the mission, and not shit their pants anytime a stray rounds impacts the dirt 5 feet away. I realize that the suppression effect is the current analogy for the "fear of death", but if every infantryman in any nation's armed forces freaked out anytime a few rounds came their way...
Yes, unfortunately only a few PR players are soldiers so you can't expect most guys to take cover without a reason. The system needs tweaking IMO but is generally a good idea.
Also we have to shoot for an average soldier, some guys would freak out under fire some wouldn't care and some would just get pissed off and want to kill the enemy more. The current suppression effect allows players to do all this, some might wait until it stops while others will move, and some will get up and charge the incoming fire. I'm not saying the system is perfect but the Devs are in the ballpark.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:00 AM   #18
DeadboyUSMC

How does it allow someone who has actually been in firefights (i.e. continues to function under stress and possible loss of life) to continue his mission without hindrance? I've missed your point. I just think it's a poor analogy, and instilling fear or muscle memory into players is just not possible with a game.

Even worse, suppression is much more "effective" on players with slower computers or older graphics cards. If the effect cannot be made consistent across the board, then perhaps it shouldn't even be implemented.

BUT, we could debate this forever. Some people love it, and others believe it to completely miss the mark. It's not enough to keep me from playing, no matter how unrealistic it is. As for the vehicle supression idea: no. As per the same reasoning I've given before with infantry.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:27 AM   #19
Jaymz
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
How does it allow someone who has actually been in firefights (i.e. continues to function under stress and possible loss of life) to continue his mission without hindrance? I've missed your point. I just think it's a poor analogy, and instilling fear or muscle memory into players is just not possible with a game.

Even worse, suppression is much more "effective" on players with slower computers or older graphics cards. If the effect cannot be made consistent across the board, then perhaps it shouldn't even be implemented.

BUT, we could debate this forever. Some people love it, and others believe it to completely miss the mark. It's not enough to keep me from playing, no matter how unrealistic it is. As for the vehicle supression idea: no. As per the same reasoning I've given before with infantry.
It's undergone a lot of tweaking for 0.8,

1. Doesn't happen in CQB anymore

2. It's significantly shorter (will be short on everybody's systems)

3. 2, means that it's only effective when continuous streams of rounds are landing close to you.

"Clear the battlefield and let me see, All the profit from our victory." - Greg Lake
Jaymz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:31 AM   #20
Kenny

^^^ That sounds good I get annoyed when an enemy shoot in my general direction and then I can't see for ages (when it could of been just a random shot)

Kenny is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
effect, supression, vehicles