project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
18 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 07:44 PM   #21
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

Default Re: Spotted

hence proper use of the terms, ie. if you use the clock system in real life it would be 6 o'clock (high/low if necesary) in this case 145 degrees high/low
Bringerof_D is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #22
Colt556

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AfterDune View Post
PR

Not PR

If you still want a marker on the spot, talk to your SL. Or if you are the SL, talk to your squadmember and place the marker. The squadmember can then tell you exactly if it's north/south/east/west of the placed marker.

But if you're being fired upon, you don't have much time of course. If you're the SL, place the attack marker on the spot where the enemy is. If you're not the SL, a quick "north of our position!" will most probably be enough.
Like I've said, it's very location dependent. If there's lots of places to hide, like in a city or woodland area, then it's nearly impossible to point out the enemy. There's just no referance point. If it's like, on Kashan you can just go "By the rocks" or something, but on other maps there often times aren't any landmarks to go off of. What then? Wait five minutes while your men franticly search the entire northern area while being shot at?

And again, what happens if you're in a fire team, and the other fireteam is like 100 meters to the west of you? How do you tell THEM where the enemy is? The compass sure wont work then, and the grid wont work either since it's too large for them to affectivly find the enemy. I've rarely actually had an enemy in a position where he was easily found by someone calling out his position.

Also Bring, the clock system doesn't work any better then the compass. Saying "6 o'clock high" is the same as "145 high". Both are still extremely vague and require people to search the entire area, in all directions, giving the enemy plenty of time to kill them. And neither work if a squad is working in fire-teams.
Colt556 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #23
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt556 View Post
Like I've said, it's very location dependent. If there's lots of places to hide, like in a city or woodland area, then it's nearly impossible to point out the enemy. There's just no referance point. If it's like, on Kashan you can just go "By the rocks" or something, but on other maps there often times aren't any landmarks to go off of. What then? Wait five minutes while your men franticly search the entire northern area while being shot at?

And again, what happens if you're in a fire team, and the other fireteam is like 100 meters to the west of you? How do you tell THEM where the enemy is? The compass sure wont work then, and the grid wont work either since it's too large for them to affectivly find the enemy. I've rarely actually had an enemy in a position where he was easily found by someone calling out his position.

Also Bring, the clock system doesn't work any better then the compass. Saying "6 o'clock high" is the same as "145 high". Both are still extremely vague and require people to search the entire area, in all directions, giving the enemy plenty of time to kill them. And neither work if a squad is working in fire-teams.
most people in this situation tend to pull up the map and see, a quick estimate of the angles isnt that hard.

i always do this my friendly says 220, i pull up map i aproximate 220 for him and aprox distance and i check my angle till it crosses at the predicted location. this takes for me all of 3 seconds
Bringerof_D is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #24
Colt556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringerof_D View Post
most people in this situation tend to pull up the map and see, a quick estimate of the angles isnt that hard.

i always do this my friendly says 220, i pull up map i aproximate 220 for him and aprox distance and i check my angle till it crosses at the predicted location. this takes for me all of 3 seconds
Wow, well I've never seen ANYONE do this, nor do it with any efficiancy. So you're just special.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:13 PM   #25
Waaah_Wah
Banned

^^How the hell do you know what they are doing?
Waaah_Wah is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:06 AM   #26
Oklahoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt556 View Post
Wow, well I've never seen ANYONE do this, nor do it with any efficiancy. So you're just special.
I can do that pretty easily. chances are you won't be standing out in the open when you're trying to communicate the coordinates of a hostile. popping up the map quickly to give proper directions isn't that hard. and comparing the marker to 'pointing a finger' in reality doesn't work. pointing hardly indicates the exact location of something.

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/uploads/signatures/sigpic22990_3.gif
Oklahoman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:02 AM   #27
Flanker15
Supporting Member

I had some spotting issue with it too. I spotted a firebase and called it out to the SL he couldn't see it because he was in a different position. I tried using the map grid but he still couldn't see it. I gave up and just watched the map and waited until he was in a spot that could see it and yelled "SL to the LEFT!" he turns spots a troop and then after a few seconds sees the FB.
Much longer and more difficult than over there "points".

Help Project Reality in Australia, join the bigD community!
http://www.bigdgaming.net/
Flanker15 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:15 AM   #28
para_hjs

Learn maps. Use VOIP with common directions/map coordinate. SL using the marker at target and correct the marker position with help from the squad.

Believe me it works and it works FAST within a team played squad among PR players (regulars, battle hardened).

para_hjs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #29
Colt556

Meh, it seems most people are content with having to spend 5 minutes showing their squadies where the badguy is. I know from experiance it doesn't work as fast as you guys say it does, I've played in many squads, for a few weeks now, and not ONCE have I seen anything remotely like what you guys say. I'm assuming this is a clan thing, and not a means that graces public servers often. But, I digress, if people don't want it, oh well I guess.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #30
gazzthompson

if ur a squad leader, put a attack marker on , instant location, if not and u cant explain with use of bearings or land marks use this:

"watch my tracer" , fire 3 shots and hey presto a tracer shows ur hole squad the direction of the enemy, i also have not had problems of a squad member seeing some 1 and not being able to communicate it with land marks or friendly or enemy tracers

gazzthompson is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
spotted