project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
18 Nov 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2006, 12:26 PM   #31
angus

I had just seen a modified missile by one our members "Why?!". I hadn't seen a topic on them here, just a link to a topic he authored on TotalBF. http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36102

Surely missiles coded with this tracking ability would keep the aircraft off the backs of the ground forces. Or would this upset balance as being too much vs helicopters. Helis would really have to hide behind every molehill and building to have a chance. Depending on the effect of flares on the missile.

Has there been any discussion with him about adding this to PR?
angus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:28 PM   #32
BrokenArrow
Retired PR Developer

I believe it has been brought up before.

You bring up a good point about how it would destroy helos very quickly. It seems to me that unless planes stick to fighting eachother it is far to easy for them to run a map.

BrokenArrow is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:34 PM   #33
Why?!

I'm telling you, if anyone on PRMM lets me mess with the missile code I gurantee that I can make missiles so realistic everyone will hate them.

Great comments above, especially the ones from Bossgator and his service in the Navy.

I actually did at one time model and code in an AIM-120 AMRAAM missile. A realistic targeting is just plain impossible in BF2, so what I did was make it so that AMRAAM required a solid one second lock directly in the target box. I also shortened the range of the Sidewinder and made locking take only half a second. It turned out pretty cool, but the AMRAAM still was a little too long range, but that could be easily fixed.

[Edit] Lol looks like angus beat me to it.

I also want to mention that what I did had only minor effect on helicopters (actually I'm not sure it even was different), so helicopters would have the same resistance against missiles as they do now. But as someone else earlier said the primary anti-air weapon is any tanks main cannon. I have shot down many helicopters, and planes when I had the chance, using only the main cannon.

Another silly sidenote and fairly useless fact: The speedbrake that you see on the MiG-29, F-15E, etc. are only visual. They actually do nothing at all. The only reason that those aircraft can slow down is because their engine actually goes from 100%, to 0%, then to -100% causing them to slow down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus
I had just seen a modified missile by one our members "Why?!". I hadn't seen a topic on them here, just a link to a topic he authored on TotalBF. http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36102

Surely missiles coded with this tracking ability would keep the aircraft off the backs of the ground forces. Or would this upset balance as being too much vs helicopters. Helis would really have to hide behind every molehill and building to have a chance. Depending on the effect of flares on the missile.

Has there been any discussion with him about adding this to PR?
[Even more Edits] I swear, everytime I post I spend half an hour editing, fixing,, and adding stuff

Someone else also mentioned that planes are too dominant. Another way to fix this is to make the fighter craft dedicated fighters. Even though this is a little unrealistic seeing as modern fighter craft are also excellent ground pounders, still forcing fighters into the fighter role by removing the bombs would even it out a little bit.
Last edited by Why?!; 01-29-2006 at 12:49 PM..
Old 01-29-2006, 02:50 PM   #34
Szarko

Why?! those videos on that forum look very nice... I like the fact that they keep on tracking... perhaps PRMM team can incorporate this into ito PRMM?

Deuce Four
Szarko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:48 PM   #35
angus

Why?!, those missiles track like a rabid bloodhound. How are they affected by flares? Are they something a good pilot with curent or modified flares evade?
As mentioned, if this missile code were applied to SAMs, helicopters would have real problems. Any ideas how to help balance with out a nerf warhead or low ammo count?

Any news on the air to air mod you had mentioned?
angus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:13 PM   #36
Martini

I think this idea is worth trying.

I think the jets are currently great for air to air combat and surpressing enemy bombers. It does seem as though with the map size that for bombers its like fish in a barrel. In terms of seekinga realistic battlefield, with the scale of the maps, etc. --> really jets just don't fit in the space we have to play in. But they are fun, so what to do.

Well maybe the jets can do their air to air thing as is, but only make accurate bombing attacks when a target is painted by a ground unit. This way infantry and airmen must work together. Maybe the A/T kit could have a laser disignating device, would make sense to go with that kit I think.

Anyway, I don't know if its even possible to code something like that, but there must be a way to generate a simalar system, fog of war at low alt? I dunno, but I think something like that will work.
Martini is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:17 PM   #37
BrokenArrow
Retired PR Developer

The problem with the jets now is that they're only fun when you're in them, and when you're on they ground they come close to ruining the ground battle.

BrokenArrow is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:33 PM   #38
Resjah

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-PUB]BrokenArrow
The problem with the jets now is that they're only fun when you're in them, and when you're on they ground they come close to ruining the ground battle.
Oh come now, its not that much of a problem when planes are in the air and you are on the ground, most pilots arent very good so its not like you have much to worry about, but when you do run into a good pilot, like when i fly , thats when things can be a little hectic on the ground

Resjah is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:35 PM   #39
Martini

Maybe thats where some team involvement would come in handy.

Your AT for your squad. Your down to one shot, hmmm two tanks.
PAINT-EM!!

Then watch in anticipation as your fellow bomber from above drops his payload on your target. Lots of fun IMO

it really comes down to the speed at which the jet can move vs. the size of the maps. In real life a 50 million dollar jet carrying $300,000 a peice bomb, isn't going to take the time to bomb a jeep. But on our battle field its so easy to reload and there are so many targets in the small area, why not?

The easiest thing to do is slow down the jets, but thats not very realistic. experimenting with the field of veiw on the jets when at certain altitudes is more along the lines of a solution. Similar to the UAV, jet pilots would only be able to see targets that infantry 'paint' for them.

Is this possible?
Martini is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:45 PM   #40
Resjah

it is possible, in the media section there is a skinned model of a laser designator, but the part with aircraft only being able to see targets painted isnt realistic, jets in RL do have radar that can scan the ground for possible targets, like a bridge or tank for example.

But the help of painted targets would also be cool.

I would also like to see some F-16s in the game performing some wild weasel missions with their HARM missiles to take out AA but then the ground pounders would be truely defenseless

Also, i plane would bomb a jeep if they were given permission too, of course a laser guided or GPS guided bomb wouldnt be used, the ones currently in game, the MK 82 would be used, but their bomb sights are far more accurate than those depicted in BF2 and hopefully PR will change that as well

Resjah is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
aircraft, plane, suggestions, whores