project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
01 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
Viper.Sw

Default Make the A-10 realistic:D

As i saw in this clip:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=h0iqS-XCmEQ

The A-10 can fire all shots in 72 seconds, it says nothing about overheating. Also it says it got 1200 rounds, why did u change it to like 500? (cause of many bombs and other weight?)

But at least remove overheat on A-10 if that is how it works in real, would be awesome
Last edited by Viper.Sw; 01-07-2008 at 11:21 PM..
Old 01-07-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
BloodBane611
Supporting Member

Balance most likely. Also, this information from Global Security:
3900 RPM= 65 rounds per second
1100 rounds total loadout
For a total of 17 seconds sustained fire

Do you really want to expend all of your ammo that fast?

I don't really know why the devs reduced the ammo count, but it is consistent with the reduction for the little bird, gazelle, and other vehicles and aircraft ingame.

[R-CON]creepin - "because on the internet 0=1"

BloodBane611 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:51 PM   #3
Jaymz
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Both of you are wrong. Not balance at all, in fact it's as realistic as we could get it (except for the overheat thing), I'll have to check with our military advisors on that one. Anyway here's the story...

The actual RoF of the GAU-8 cannon in real life is far higher than the BF2 engine allows. So what we did was give each round an AoE (area of effect) to simulate the higher rate of fire.

In 0.6 the A-10 actually carried 1130 rounds (realistic loadout for them during their early years, nowadays it's 1174 for safety reasons). But then we though about it....why the hell did we give it realistic ammo count on top of the added AoE? That made no sense and essentially gave the A-10 1130 rounds of absolute ownage (coupled with the ineffective AA systems in 0.6 that was a complete distaster, thankfully those days of 24/7 T90 rapage are over).

So, for 0.7 both the A-10 and SU-25 were given AoE on all their rounds to simulate a higher RoF as well as an ammo count* that reflected it.

* I'm the one that made the ammunition changes relative to the AoE (GASP! I did something other than sounds). Did a bunch of research on it beforehand as well so don't worry I got it right for both jets.

That clarify things?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Clear the battlefield and let me see, All the profit from our victory." - Greg Lake
Last edited by Jaymz; 01-08-2008 at 12:02 AM..
Old 01-08-2008, 12:14 AM   #4
Ghost1800

*reads that again*

... yes.
Ghost1800 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:17 AM   #5
TexLax

what where the safety reason for those 42 rounds?

TexLax is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:43 AM   #6
DarkTalon

A10 misbehaving

naughty a10

DarkTalon is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:52 AM   #7
Snowno

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTalon View Post
A10 misbehaving

naughty a10
Shouldn't the GAU-8 shots make a little more "boom" sound when they hit the ground, like the Apache? As you can see on that clip..
Snowno is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:54 AM   #8
Ghost1800

I would imagine it would be rather hard to get a decent sound recording of a weapon like that.
Ghost1800 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:00 AM   #9
DarkTalon

and just for reference

and just for fun...

DarkTalon is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:03 AM   #10
Snowno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost1800 View Post
I would imagine it would be rather hard to get a decent sound recording of a weapon like that.
I meant that you could use the sound from the Apache rounds.
In PR, if a Apache shoot close (or directly on you) it makes a sound that's a little like grenades, just more "compressed", if you could use the same impact sounds on the GAU-8 it would be more realistic, cause if I recall, the PR A-10 impact sounds are alot different
Snowno is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
a10, make, realisticd