project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
20 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 02:09 AM   #21
nedlands1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Nedlands has suggested using the buckshot effect along with deviation to make the GAU-8 actually fire the correct ammount of rounds instead of just simulating it. What do you think about using this method?
Yeah I have been looking at using the "buckshot effect" to simulate a realistic RoF for the M134 minguns which feature on the sides of the blackhawk IG. There are four problems I have run into/foresee.

Firstly, if you wish to either make extremely high rates of fire or unusual RoF (eg 3240 RPM with 9 "pellets" and a RoF of 360) you will need a large amount of "shot". When strafing a target this will result in clumps of rounds instead of a nice evenly spread line. Keeping the batch size down to say 2 or 3 should be fine.

Secondly, such high rates of fire might cause great lag. Having a weapon firing at 6000 RPM is like 10 people firing their G3A3's at once (600 RPM x 10 = 6000 RPM). I'm not entirely sure how much of an effect this has but I'm sure the Dev's have an inkling from their large-scale tests.

Thirdly, having single shots is impossible unless the weapon is split into a "maglinked" weapon which shares ammunition but not properties such as RoF.

Finally, from what I have experienced, every time you fire "the buckshot" a single "shot" will go directly where the gun is aimed. If the tracer is set at such an interval as to coincide with this periodic event then it will appear that the weapon is perfectly accurate when in fact it is not. To solve this you can either introduce some deviation for the group placement and/or change the interval of the tracers so they do not coincide with the perfectly accurate "shot".
nedlands1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #22
Jonny
PR Server License Moderator

I have personally seen around 10 M-SAWs firing at the same time in game, there was absolutely no lag at all. Simulating ultra high rates of fire with the correct number of projectiles should not be a problem.

Adding deviation for each group should mean that the group deviation + the shot deviation = total deviation. It will be a bell curve kind of distribution, but will be better than the alternative of no deviation for 1/3 or 1/2 of the shots fired, especially because we have not even attempted to find the kind of distribution that should be expected by looking at data firing range groupings. I would expect the result to be a bell curve, but would need a large amount of data and time to verify that.

Ultra high rates of fire do not ave to be exact if it can be modelled better by sightly tweaking it, no one will be able to notice and slight tweaking of the ROF is better than a large area of effect, to measure a strange rate would require very accurate data and is therefore unlikely to happen considering more than 2 sf is just silly, so dodgy rates are not an issue.

Single shots are the only real problem, but they are not possible with the alternative so I really dont see the point in listing it as a problem. This method is superior in other ways and its not like its a trade-off either, no known method can accomplish this.
Jonny is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:05 PM   #23
BabaGurGur
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by markonymous View Post
i agree, but i think the same should go for the choppers.
I'v destroyed 9 tanks/apcs in one run with a chopper, I was shooting the tanks from 1.1km away, from near the US Main airbase to the US outpost at kashan, i know a apache only holds 8 missiles but one of my TV shots was 1 missile and 1 tank and 1 apc, they were standing right beside eachother ^^
BabaGurGur is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #24
AnRK
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Jaymz View Post
In 0.6 the A-10 actually carried 1130 rounds (realistic loadout for them during their early years, nowadays it's 1174 for safety reasons).
What do the extra 44 rounds effect? Not that I don't believe you just sounds a little odd.
AnRK is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:02 PM   #25
ryan d ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper.Sw View Post
As i saw in this clip:

YouTube - A-10 Thunderbolt

The A-10 can fire all shots in 72 seconds, it says nothing about overheating. Also it says it got 1200 rounds, why did u change it to like 500? (cause of many bombs and other weight?)

But at least remove overheat on A-10 if that is how it works in real, would be awesome
Isn't it only 7 seconds because if longer the plane will become unstable from cannon velocity?

Project Reality's Official Self-Appointed Anti Tank Guru
Over four years and still not banned
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obligatory Epic Forum Quote (QFT + LOL)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ryan d ale is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:31 PM   #26
CAS_117

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan d ale View Post
Isn't it only 7 seconds because if longer the plane will become unstable from cannon velocity?
Testosterone induced myth.
CAS_117 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:19 AM   #27
TexLax

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnRK View Post
What do the extra 44 rounds effect? Not that I don't believe you just sounds a little odd.
i asked the same question

i would really like to know too.

TexLax is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:43 PM   #28
Jonny
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan d ale View Post
From the calculations I have just done the A10 can fly at a constant speed of about 150m/s when firing the cannon. Assuming the data from wikipedia is when flying level. Cruising speed is 155m/s.
Jonny is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #29
Jaymz
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLax View Post
i asked the same question

i would really like to know too.
Quote:
The fuselage of the aircraft is actually built around the gun.[1] For example, the nosewheel is offset to the right so that the gun's firing barrel at the 9 o'clock position is aligned on the aircraft's centerline. The early A-10s carried 1,350 rounds of 30 mm ammunition. It was replaced by the 1174 round drum. The helix in the 1,350 drums were being damaged during loading. The 1,174 round drums were beefed up to accommodate real world conditions.
Probably best to ignore it because it's from wikipedia and that part cites no sources...

"Clear the battlefield and let me see, All the profit from our victory." - Greg Lake
Jaymz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:26 PM   #30
TexLax

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Jaymz View Post
Probably best to ignore it because it's from wikipedia and that part cites no sources...
well, i was asking you (didn't read wikipedia) because you said for safety reasons, and i'd like to know what they where. (wikipedia seems to say though)

TexLax is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
a10, make, realisticd